Keeney`s Corner
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Keeney Angus April 7 Bull and Heifer Sale

Go down 
+20
Dylan Biggs
chocolate cow
robert
shilow angus
MVCatt
tc
Hilly
outsidethebox
PatB
Larry Leonhardt
EddieM
Grassfarmer
Oldtimer
larkota
Tom D
Angus 62
jonken
df
Mark Day
MKeeney
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
tc

Keeney Angus April 7 Bull and Heifer Sale - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus April 7 Bull and Heifer Sale   Keeney Angus April 7 Bull and Heifer Sale - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 8:57 pm

Mike,
is this unwanted or the Fenley bull?

mature
Keeney Angus April 7 Bull and Heifer Sale - Page 4 6309-1

we are going to collect this bull again; he has established himself at 7 years of age as our most satisfying
bull ever for cows in this environment...he`s a not Wagyu or Longhorn on CE, but has worked ok here on heifers...
$10/straw

[/quote]
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus April 7 Bull and Heifer Sale   Keeney Angus April 7 Bull and Heifer Sale - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 10:39 pm

Travis, tis Fenley...a few new daughter pics coming...been quite busy
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus April 7 Bull and Heifer Sale   Keeney Angus April 7 Bull and Heifer Sale - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 7:17 am

Oldtimer wrote:
An e-mail I received today:

Quote :
I would like to personally invite you to join us in Wellington, CO on March 23rd and 24th. We've upped our offering to 690 bulls and 160 females! Join us on Friday to tour the bulls, enjoy our evening educational program on Cow Size, meet top ranchers from around the country, and listen to the story telling and singing talents of Red Steagall. The sale will start promptly at 9 am on Saturday, March 24th. If you plan to attend, call the hotel today at 1-800-Embassy. Ask for the Leachman Spring Sale special rate.

Made me wonder who the Keeney sale would have as their singing talent-- Voss or McNamee? Razz Laughing

I`m afraid Steagall will be anti-climatic...they`ve sung their own praises to the point that even the MTC couldn`t add anything...Wendell Berry`s son is coming; if Wendell comes along, I might have him read The Peace of Wild Things... Smile
Back to top Go down
larkota

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus April 7 Bull and Heifer Sale   Keeney Angus April 7 Bull and Heifer Sale - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 8:02 am

tc wrote:
Mike,

mature

we are going to collect this bull again; he has established himself at 7 years of age as our most satisfying
bull ever for cows in this environment...he`s a not Wagyu or Longhorn on CE, but has worked ok here on heifers...
$10/straw

[/quote]

I'll be collecting granddaughter's. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus April 7 Bull and Heifer Sale   Keeney Angus April 7 Bull and Heifer Sale - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 2:32 pm

larkota wrote:
tc wrote:
Mike,

mature

$10/straw

I'll be collecting granddaughter's. Very Happy [/quote]
and if the breeder is doing his job, that should be sufficient ...50 bulls semen checked, 50 passed...largely an attribute of fed right I believe; right is to be sound, not so many lbs/day gain or stuffed full of soyhulls called forage...
Back to top Go down
tc

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus April 7 Bull and Heifer Sale   Keeney Angus April 7 Bull and Heifer Sale - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 7:20 pm

Thanks Mike, I have a son from him [he's doing quite well here] and a daughter from unwanted [maybe be one of the best I've had] I know your busy on sale day, so I may make a trip up soon to purchase some semen on these two. tks tc..

MKeeney wrote:
Travis, tis Fenley...a few new daughter pics coming...been quite busy
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus April 7 Bull and Heifer Sale   Keeney Angus April 7 Bull and Heifer Sale - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 7:42 pm

been watching the weather the last couple hours; lots like scattered damage all over KY...everything skipped us as best I can tell; not even much rain this afternoon after a couple inches this morning...
Back to top Go down
tc

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus April 7 Bull and Heifer Sale   Keeney Angus April 7 Bull and Heifer Sale - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 7:46 pm

Same here Mike..some damage below us looks like Jackson county,Overton county had some damage.

MKeeney wrote:
been watching the weather the last couple hours; lots like scattered damage all over KY...everything skipped us as best I can tell; not even much rain this afternoon after a couple inches this morning...
Back to top Go down
MVCatt

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus April 7 Bull and Heifer Sale   Keeney Angus April 7 Bull and Heifer Sale - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 9:07 pm

tc wrote:
Same here Mike..some damage below us looks like Jackson county,Overton county had some damage.

MKeeney wrote:

Glad to here you guys are OK.

Mike,
Are you putting out a catalog Shocked (data sheet) this year? I wonder how different the results are...for guys who do a thorough visual appraisal of the sale bulls ...or the one's that just tell you their breeding intent, and allow you to do the picking. My guess would be...not much difference with the slight edge going to you.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus April 7 Bull and Heifer Sale   Keeney Angus April 7 Bull and Heifer Sale - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 6:25 am

MVCatt wrote:
tc wrote:

MKeeney wrote:

Glad to here you guys are OK.

Mike,
Are you putting out a catalog Shocked (data sheet) this year? I wonder how different the results are...for guys who do a thorough visual appraisal of the sale bulls ...or the one's that just tell you their breeding intent, and allow you to do the picking. My guess would be...not much difference with the slight edge going to you.
the sheet ought to be ready in a week or so...I think the advantage always lies with the breeder/seller, but then you must assume responsibility for someone`s results a thousand miles away...and as some can attest, that isn`t always as good as you hoped for...the calving ease thing befuddles me most; some buy bulls I would not use on my heifers, and tell me how little the calves are...I sell a bull that I 99%know would be calving ease here, and he isn`t somewhere else...too many unknown variables makes the Longhorn or Wagyu thing look most enticing; especially seeing their merits beyond just calving ease...
Back to top Go down
shilow angus

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus April 7 Bull and Heifer Sale   Keeney Angus April 7 Bull and Heifer Sale - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 10:09 am

MKeeney wrote:

Same here...Sadly not everyone so lucky many tornados and deaths state wide..... Strange day here before the storm hit... cows went to calving...tractors setting in the barns wet with dew...
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus April 7 Bull and Heifer Sale   Keeney Angus April 7 Bull and Heifer Sale - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 11:28 am

shilow angus wrote:
MKeeney wrote:

Same here...Sadly not everyone so lucky many tornados and deaths state wide..... Strange day here before the storm hit... cows went to calving...tractors setting in the barns wet with dew...
good hearing from you Tom...your area was sure in harm`s way...hope to see you the 7th Exclamation
Back to top Go down
shilow angus

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus April 7 Bull and Heifer Sale   Keeney Angus April 7 Bull and Heifer Sale - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 4:14 pm

MKeeney wrote:
shilow angus wrote:
MKeeney wrote:

good hearing from you Tom...your area was sure in harm`s way...hope to see you the 7th Exclamation

Hope to be there....Only missed a couple in 15 years. When you get tired of that old fenley bull I have nice retirement pasture here. Smile
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus April 7 Bull and Heifer Sale   Keeney Angus April 7 Bull and Heifer Sale - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2012 7:17 pm

shilow angus wrote:
MKeeney wrote:
shilow angus wrote:
MKeeney wrote:

Hope to be there....Only missed a couple in 15 years. When you get tired of that old fenley bull I have nice retirement pasture here. Smile
Tom,
he sure acted frisky today; 40 days after appearing to have settled 42 fall cows ...his feet look really good; loaded him out of the bull lot with a dummy hot wire; he might just die here Smile
Had the camera along for a pic of the dam of a bull Rod got last year...she`s an enuff cow for me...
Keeney Angus April 7 Bull and Heifer Sale - Page 4 Rod17-1
Back to top Go down
shilow angus

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus April 7 Bull and Heifer Sale   Keeney Angus April 7 Bull and Heifer Sale - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2012 7:30 pm

MKeeney wrote:
shilow angus wrote:
MKeeney wrote:
shilow angus wrote:
MKeeney wrote:

Tom,
he sure acted frisky today; 40 days after appearing to have settled 42 fall cows ...his feet look really good; loaded him out of the bull lot with a dummy hot wire; he might just die here Smile
Had the camera along for a pic of the dam of a bull Rod got last year...she`s an enuff cow for me...
Keeney Angus April 7 Bull and Heifer Sale - Page 4 Rod17-1

If only I could take a cookie cutter and cut out a hunderd just like her.... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mark Day

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus April 7 Bull and Heifer Sale   Keeney Angus April 7 Bull and Heifer Sale - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2012 9:56 pm

Save a few straws of that Fenley semen back for me. Not sure when I will ever need or want to use it but it will be nice knowing he is in the tank, just like Felix.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus April 7 Bull and Heifer Sale   Keeney Angus April 7 Bull and Heifer Sale - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2012 11:23 pm

Mark Day wrote:
Save a few straws of that Fenley semen back for me. Not sure when I will ever need or want to use it but it will be nice knowing he is in the tank, just like Felix.
Mark,
I noticed you turned 46 yesterday; 20 years my junior...the goal would be that by the time you are my age, that the Felix and Fenley semen would be worth $0; do you suppose we can progress geneticly that much in 20 years?
oh well, don`t worry, save the semen, because we know human nature won`t change ever Smile
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus April 7 Bull and Heifer Sale   Keeney Angus April 7 Bull and Heifer Sale - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2012 11:28 pm

got this unsoliticed in my email...
Picture for a moment how utilizing this outstanding bull recently placed at ORIgen could impact your future sales.

http://origenbeef.org/semen_detail.php?bull=253

--

Barry Kane
KN Angus
Nyssa, Oregon

replied with this Smile
http://www.keeneyscorner.com/t582-keeney-angus-april-7-bull-and-heifer-sale
Back to top Go down
PatB

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus April 7 Bull and Heifer Sale   Keeney Angus April 7 Bull and Heifer Sale - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 6:29 am

MKeeney wrote:
got this unsoliticed in my email...
Picture for a moment how utilizing this outstanding bull recently placed at ORIgen could impact your future sales.

http://origenbeef.org/semen_detail.php?bull=253

--

Barry Kane
KN Angus
Nyssa, Oregon

replied with this Smile
http://www.keeneyscorner.com/t582-keeney-angus-april-7-bull-and-heifer-sale

I can picture the feed requirements of the retained heifers going up with a so call energy epd in the negative 20's.
Back to top Go down
Mark Day

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus April 7 Bull and Heifer Sale   Keeney Angus April 7 Bull and Heifer Sale - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 7:03 am

Quote :
I noticed you turned 46 yesterday; 20 years my junior...the goal would be that by the time you are my age, that the Felix and Fenley semen would be worth $0; do you suppose we can progress geneticly that much in 20 years?
oh well, don`t worry, save the semen, because we know human nature won`t change ever

I guess several factors come in to play on this semen stuff. You do hope there is a bull that you would be satisfied with just turning out and not going through all that work and expense of AI. I do wonder however about increasing the concentration of some names in the pedigrees someday and semen helps make that possible. Also know that the source to get these ingredients are like me, won't be around forever but I am one of the younger ones, I think. While Monday was my birthday it was also the 10 year anniversary of my Father passing away and he was just 16 years older than I am now. Time could be shorter than we think.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus April 7 Bull and Heifer Sale   Keeney Angus April 7 Bull and Heifer Sale - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 7:06 am

thankfully for the cows created, I think these 40 lb milk epds are highly inaccurate ...the milk/maternal epd is simply the weight unaccounted for by ww and yw...but then a 25 lb difference in weaning weight is only .12lb per day difference due to milk, so ...who knows? not I...and not interested enough to invest any time or money in finding out...
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus April 7 Bull and Heifer Sale   Keeney Angus April 7 Bull and Heifer Sale - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 9:45 pm

I know a few are coming to join the excitement Rolling Eyes early...mention the bull sale at Quality Inn and Suites, 240 N hwy 27, Somerset, 606-678-2023 for a $59/night rate...a few rooms left at the Country Inn and Suites, 515 N hwy 27, Somerset, 606-679-3711, $89/night...I think we`ll do Pizza/Coke/beer in the barn Friday night if it`s warm; if not, go to Edwards for it, so we can be loud and move about...if you want dancing girls, please bring them with you; Jr Flores can play the guitar, and you can dance sllllooowwwww, real slowww as Jr. searches for the strings...provided of course, he is over his soccer injuries... Smile
I`ve been farming and calving; half done spring? calving...well, it has felt like spring for sure...I will have the pens posted up by Monday; pics by the end of next week...as the drama builds Very Happy Very Happy

everybody getting this below in their email? anyway, it`s about everything I`m not Evil or Very Mad

2014 sale day. That seems like quite a ways out, but the breeding program you select today will play a large role in your catalog or sales order in 2014. It's those first few lots in most every sale that have the highest indexing EPDs and $Values and historically bring back the highest premiums. Your reference sire selection will provide 50% of the genetic makeup of those lots. If you are like many Angus breeders, you will spend many hours, studying ranch sales catalogs, semen distributor's catalogs, EPD charts, DNA profiles, look at countless pictures, and make several phone calls to find the right fit for your cows. You will fight the temptation to focus on a single trait, and come to the realization that you need a complete performance package to compliment your matings.

There is no doubt that the G A R 5050 Data Manager bull will sire several lot 1 offerings in 2014 sales. He has the complete performance package you are looking for. Now is the time to load up on this sire and enhance you EPDs, $Values, and place his sons and daughters in the front of your lineup. Look him over close - you will agree. He is an elite multi-trait bull, with the potential to transmit those genetics directly into your sales, your replacements, and your bottom line. He is a young sire with his 1st calf crop hitting the ground. We have 20 calves from this bull recorded this spring, all from natural service, - will get a couple more tonight. Average birth weights are running 82 lbs. and all born unassisted. He will be our main AI sire this year

--

Barry Kane
KN Angus
Nyssa, Oregon
Back to top Go down
robert

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus April 7 Bull and Heifer Sale   Keeney Angus April 7 Bull and Heifer Sale - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2012 7:09 am

yeah I got that one, appropriately it was in the junk mail box, so there is some divine karma.......

I always thought 5050 was well named, 50% chance of crap, 50% chance of garbage, it's a win-win!
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus April 7 Bull and Heifer Sale   Keeney Angus April 7 Bull and Heifer Sale - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2012 7:18 am

robert wrote:
yeah I got that one, appropriately it was in the junk mail box, so there is some divine karma.......

I always thought 5050 was well named, 50% chance of crap, 50% chance of garbage, it's a win-win!
and I want lot 50 to be worth the same as lot 1...just a different mentality than the registurd business...
Back to top Go down
Angus 62

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus April 7 Bull and Heifer Sale   Keeney Angus April 7 Bull and Heifer Sale - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2012 8:03 am

5050 - a blend of two of the worst ideas the Angus breed ever had.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus April 7 Bull and Heifer Sale   Keeney Angus April 7 Bull and Heifer Sale - Page 4 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Keeney Angus April 7 Bull and Heifer Sale
Page 4 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next