Keeney`s Corner
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale

Go down 
+13
Bob H
Mark Day
tc
RobertMac
tulip
Tom D
pukerimu
larkota
EddieM
outsidethebox
Danny Miller
Grassfarmer
shilow angus
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
MKeeney
Admin

2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale   2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 05, 2015 10:56 am

I should retract that comment about papers being useless after reading some recent bull sale catalog pedigrees/roadmaps...actually Cal and some breeders have a lot in common...here`s the chorus to their methods..

I've been everywhere, man.
Crossed the desert's bare, man.
I've breathed the mountain air, man.
Of travel I've had my share, man.
I've been everywhere
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
larkota

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale   2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 05, 2015 6:52 pm

MKeeney wrote:
I should retract that comment about papers being useless after reading some recent bull sale catalog pedigrees/roadmaps...actually Cal and some breeders have a lot in common...here`s the chorus to their methods..

Of travel I've had my share, man.
I've been everywhere

small correction

Of TROUBLE I've had my share, man.
I've been everywhere
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale   2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2015 8:11 am

some where Briann put up a two for one Sale...after seeing the below video and that Wye averaged 4600

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=455&v=LxE8yE9FO5g

I feel a lot better about using and selling my own bulls...you get two for 4600; but of course no papers; 46 hundredths less fat; and no nostalgia value; we do have a free book...every thing else looks about equal; so it`s a matter of what you value...
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale   2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2015 9:26 am

A little performance report from JRN this morning; in real dollars in the wallet from Belle Fourche; not theoretical $ indexes on paper...all`s well, and even, when compared to the Red Angus; the AI`ers, and even the Muggli bros if you want to expand the market report area...income being even; now count your savings...
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale   2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 06, 2015 2:10 pm

another "performance report" from long time bull buyers and top managers...they sold a few open Feb heifers Saturday through a "jump thru the hoops sale"...weighed 941; yes, way too fat, and likely too big; bought $2200/hd...guess what brought more? bigger 1/4 Simmys top the sale at $2300...this is where performance measured contests have taken us intellectually and economically...away from common sense optimums...no, the pointy heads are not most to blame ; the performance breeders are...
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale   2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2015 7:53 am

the performance breeders are...

Theme song, to plagiarize a country hit: "You've got to select for something or you'll fall for anything!" Idea
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale   2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2015 8:29 am

MKeeney wrote:
some where Briann put up a two for one Sale...after seeing the below video and that Wye averaged 4600

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=455&v=LxE8yE9FO5g

I feel a lot better about using and selling my own bulls...you get two for 4600; but of course no papers; 46 hundredths less fat; and no nostalgia value; we do have a free book...every thing else looks about equal; so it`s a matter of what you value...

I was drawn to watch the video above by Robert`s sale report that lot 39 was a favorite of his; to see if we had similar taste...you can skip to that particular bull at the 32.10 min/sec location in the video...
I like him plenty; reminds me of the best of the Fenley`s...and then the idea that Larry proposed to Craig and I pops into mind; never far from top of mind awareness ...
so it took 40 bulls and x amount of steers to produce this perfect looking bull...how many calves in his calf crop will be the ideal like him ? how many until you get another like him from the assortment of cows that produced him? when buying a bull, is it more important to inspect individuals or the whole of the herd produce?
of course, if a herd is using every one else`s bulls, this idea of evaluating the whole is impossible; and I have no time anymore for crafty crossers creating temporary illusions of near perfection...
cheers  to Wye for staying closed; and limiting the variation to what only exists there...
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale   2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2015 8:26 pm

thx to Travis for letting me have this little fellow back; heifer calving has gone so well I want to repeat the process and renew the genes..

2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 4 B30c42c6-bfaa-4c4b-b6a1-bb563963eeb0_zpshmjbcvij

is that an AI sired calf in the background, Travis? Smile
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale   2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 09, 2015 9:15 pm

the 2015 Keeney Angus Spring Bull sale is winding down; in fact, if all the sale pendings hold; it`s over...I hope and actually think the bulls will be more profitable for the users than they were for me, the seller...that`s not complaining; it`s a statement of objective...
thx to everyone; trying my best to get the trucking lined up; bear with me...
Travis, what kind of desserts will be in season in Shirley`s kitchen about June 1?...I want to time our bull swap accordingly...Smile
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale   2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2015 12:21 pm

the problem with optimums, longevity and self-renewal... Shocked  Smile

Mike,

It was good to renew acquaintances after almost 15 years.  I am more interested in your cattle than anyone else’s, unless they are related to your cattle.  I am interested in 20-40 angus, preferable young bred cows, bred heifers or heifers  old enough to breed; I do trust your judgment, so if you run across something of interest, let me know.   If you cannot find something now, when will you have heifers to sell again?

Look forward to coming to Nancy to see you again.
Back to top Go down
tc

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale   2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2015 6:59 am

MKeeney wrote:
thx to Travis for letting me have this little fellow back; heifer calving has gone so well I want to repeat the process and renew the genes..

2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 4 B30c42c6-bfaa-4c4b-b6a1-bb563963eeb0_zpshmjbcvij

is that an AI sired calf in the background, Travis? Smile

Ha Ha, not an AI although he does look like some I have had in the past.
Back to top Go down
tc

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale   2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2015 7:11 am

MKeeney wrote:
the 2015 Keeney Angus Spring Bull sale is winding down; in fact, if all the sale pendings hold; it`s over...I hope and actually think the bulls will be more profitable for the users than they were for me, the seller...that`s not complaining; it`s a statement of objective...
thx to everyone; trying my best to get the trucking lined up; bear with me...
Travis, what kind of desserts will be in season in Shirley`s kitchen about June 1?...I want to time our bull swap accordingly...Smile  

We were just talking about that Mike, I think she has something mind. Will give you a time to arrive for sure. ha ha....

Everyone wants to know where I got this bull, lots of compliments on him. I will have some sons and daughters next fall from him.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale   2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2015 8:14 am

this is a trip Linda makes sure she comes as well... Smile have a highly close bred son of the underworld renown 6141 for you to test Travis...one of two bulls in this years crop I know the sire of...ignorance of pedigree is devastating to the registered tradition; absolute bliss for me to not have another distraction in the way of population propulsion Smile
Back to top Go down
tc

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale   2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2015 3:14 pm

MKeeney wrote:
this is a trip Linda makes sure she comes as well... Smile have a highly close bred son of the underworld renown 6141 for you to test Travis...one of two bulls in this years crop I know the sire of...ignorance of pedigree is devastating to the registered tradition; absolute bliss for me to not have another distraction in the way of population propulsion Smile

Absolutely Linda has to make the trip Mike, We are Looking forward to it.Sound good on the bull as well..thanks!
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale   2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2015 9:46 pm

as you get older, the grass nearer home gets greener ...

2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 4 0425151042a_zpsssezhgnk

62 of these parent stock heifers available  to test 3 yearling bulls this spring breeding; then Travis`s proven ce bull for clean up status...maybe a few of these; plus about 15 production stock heifers to sell about Nov 1...
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale   2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue May 05, 2015 9:19 pm

Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale   2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2015 6:50 am

thx to Mike Wilson, Bainville, MT for the pic of a 5 yr old..

2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 4 Image1%205_zpseomjiib4
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale   2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2015 8:48 pm

moving this over here

Mike, what's the "Buy It Now" price on these yearling heifers?  You appear to be overstocked.

2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 4 F806DB37-055C-46D8-A941-69A710A93277_zpstcy8vyix

gate cut into three groups yesterday to breed to three  selected yearling bulls ; what kind of breeding can this be without pedigree and epd analysis before mating? almost a page out of Robert`s Rules of Order  Smile select for visible characteristics with a minimum performance standard; and let the  inbreeding level  be self-determining...

Individual pedigrees provide a nostalgic, irrecoverable history of the past.   The past history of the Shoshone foundation is documented on the following pages.    On this foundation the structure is being built from the nucleus of this germ plasm. Maintaining individual by individual pedigrees for all the representatives selected from that germ plasm pool to propagate the preferred characteristics is not only a hindrance to our overall long term direction, it is superfluous.   Since no one knows all the characteristics of his stock better than the owner, the brand name "Shoshone" and a number will suffice as a pedigree, and ultimately it will become synonymous with the characteristics the population portrays.   Larry Leonhardt

long gone are the yakety yake discussions of old pure pedigrees of old pure Aberdeen Angus...pure for what characteristics is the only question worth discussing...
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale   2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun May 24, 2015 6:32 am

what a Saturday cheers golfed with two beautiful women, and borrowing from K Clark "" joy rises in me like a summer morn {Coleridge} when I am in the company of other cattlemen and when I am in the company of my own cattle."
and it isn`t diminished being in the company of Joe Dunkum`s cattle either; Pete and Re-Pete will see heavier use this spring; let the ibc find it`s tru-x level...
too bad we have to get up early to meet the Wulf Express; final destination, Montana...thanks to everyone; on we go, same old road...
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale   2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun May 24, 2015 9:33 pm

Mark Day brought down his usual offering of fine, fall born heifers today by his bulls...

2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 4 IMG_4815_zpsl7y8jkf4

weighing 530, we`ll mix them with our fall groups   that weighed from 455 to 555 to now total 75 head; the genetics the same; the difference now primarily environment...we`ll dry lot for a while{have lots of feed}; even up the differences; and offer for sale around Nov 1; ready for breeding Dec 1..
I don`t know the price yet; it will be based on commercial prices; but I can guarantee you won`t be paying for a sale manager or auctioneer; we`ll just do business person to person,  or as Mark and I have done for years; sight unseen, because we know our own genetics, and we know each other...

2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 4 IMG_4814_zpsi8zwivyr

Mark had a fine assistant along this trip; sorry her pup I gave her didn`t work out; when I asked his problem, Allison pretty well summed it up with
"he`s just crazy" ,,, Evil or Very Mad but it was no problem seeing she loved him anyway ; a story oft repeated  Wink

2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 4 IMG_4809_zpsfee72p4x

there`s something of a waiting list; when the heifers are ready, I`ll be calling you...
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale   2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeMon May 25, 2015 9:25 pm

Are those regular Angus or Aberdeen Angus? Seems like Tom B was looking for some Aberdeens a few years ago.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale   2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2015 5:58 am

EddieM wrote:
Are those regular Angus or Aberdeen Angus?  Seems like Tom B was looking for some Aberdeens a few years ago.

these are Mark Day Angus; long removed from Aberdeen and the tb wannabes who find it easier to create salable rarity by changing names rather than concentrating useful genetics...
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale   2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2015 11:35 am

MKeeney wrote:
EddieM wrote:
Are those regular Angus or Aberdeen Angus?  Seems like Tom B was looking for some Aberdeens a few years ago.

these are Mark Day Angus; long removed from Aberdeen and the tb wannabes who find it easier to create salable rarity by changing names rather than concentrating useful genetics...

Dayberdeen Angus. Or just drop the Angus and start a new breed! "Why, yes, all my cattle are Dayberdeens! They are quite rare and valuable, you know." jocolor

But I still would need to ask about the fly resistance score. And then I think: if a whole herd of cows was composed of cows where each one had high fly resistance would there be any flies, would the neighbor sue you for forcing all of your flies onto his cattle, would there be a lot of flies on unemployment or would there still be a few confused flies but with equal distribution? If you don't know, that's OK. I'll just watch the articles in the beef magazines to find out the latest. Maybe I missed the most important part: would I have cows that anybody, including me, would want for market price?

Eddie, too long on the lawnmower and a cloud of dust
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale   2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2015 9:06 pm

last year selling went well; this year wrought with frustration...pricing my fault; couple of sold local bulls still on my feed bill; and the usual trucking hassle; a check in the mail thing...steps being taken to fix all four ...just a ping; not even a bump; in the road less traveled... without a roadmap Smile

Truth gains more, even by errors of one who, with due study and preparation, thinks for himself than by the true opinions of those who only hold them, because they do not suffer themselves to think.
-- John Stuart Mill
Back to top Go down
Mark Day

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale   2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2015 10:15 am

Mike,
I think the biggest change in my cattle since I started making the 3+ hour trip to your place is the consistency. They all look more alike in type all though the calves by heifers tend to be a bit smaller. That might be because often their sire and dams are half brother/half sister. Cattle seem to do better on grass alone and they handle my fescue much better than in the past. My feed bill is not what it use to be. The difference between my favorite heifer and the bottom end is getting less. All heifers are kept for breeding purposes for either me or you. Generally speaking few don't breed. On the male side I have a 2 year waiting list for freezer beef. There are 2 simple explanations for that. People say it is the best they have ever had and for the past 4 years my calf crop has been 65% heifers and 35% bulls. Between using a couple of my own Bulls which I never did much of before there just are not enough born to meet the demand. Just my 2 cents worth. I am about to leave on another 2+ hour bus trip for a track meet. Cows are all out taking care of themselves.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale   2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 4 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale
Page 4 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next