Keeney`s Corner
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale

Go down 
+13
Bob H
Mark Day
tc
RobertMac
tulip
Tom D
pukerimu
larkota
EddieM
outsidethebox
Danny Miller
Grassfarmer
shilow angus
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
MKeeney
Admin

2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale   2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2015 3:22 am

taxes...I keep reading this "studies"...most recent, conducted by the University of Ky, says the 420 million dollars "invested " in KY agriculture from the PMorris payoff has returned 2 dollars for every dollar spent in KY... The checkoff self studies show 7 dollars returned for every 1 dollar spend...just look at the 14 million spend at AAA investing in making superior cattle Rolling Eyes Wink corn? wheat? sb? pork checkoffs...just look at the great prices every farmer is getting; why they almost equal cost of production Cool Shocked

have you ever seen a study that concluded a tax/checkoff was a poor investment? these facts leads one to logically believe then that if all the money was turned over to the bureaucracies , how wonderful the economies would be Very Happy
I see our cattle checkoff playboys in KY have got the new maternity barn built, and a have gotten it all bedded with shavings...Burke Tiechert was one of the speakers last year at the annual meeting; Funston coming this year...it`s do as I say time, not do as I do...
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale   2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 30, 2015 7:45 am

MKeeney wrote:
MKeeney wrote:
got another cheers

2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 8 37_zpsoxnapc4k

naming this one...KA Fairy Tale  his story reads too much like Baby Bear`s soup; just right; we know the soup tasted good, but did it digest well? Smile ...we`ll see a maternal brother in Mo next year; a half sib mating...sire of this calf is quite the ordinary specimen, though Tom  said he really was a pretty ok kind of bull...Tom, like me, may not know, but he matters...Smile  

ps...Tom as not in Burke Smile

OH GEE...I`ve registered this cow ; no, branded her by naming her...KA Miss Promiscuity...gesssshhhh, a political correct moment here...MS Promiscuity? Certainly not Mrs Promiscuity?

here she calves January 28, 2015...weans the calf above Oct...down there today; first time in a week to check on stockpile , and here she is calved again...

2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 8 1272015_zpsbwq2mbnc

no clue who`s his daddy; don`t care so long he`s one of mine...but of course, she`s just another carrot...more later

castrated all the fall calves but her`s yesterday; actually, he`s a real early spring calf Smile these outlier cows are wonderful footnote fillers for the 100 thousand dollar club...unfortunately, that`s about how often they reproduce themselves...but surely an outlier for calving interval can`t be a bad thing; surely means the rest of the package is in synch with the environment...so yeah, he`ll get used as well as her pictured yearling who is not friendly...
interesting that the little inbred 29`s, now with their second calf, built like jersey`s and not far from the size, meaner than a junkyard dog, wilder than a buck, would not have been noticed for temperament as we worked the fall group of 30 cows...400 lb lighter than the older cows with the same size, same weight, same type calf at side...the 977 calves are sure a pleasure to be around; was hard cutting some of them; there is a market for only so many, and the springs probably are already over quota...but going to be fun trying; saw that 80 yr old coach on the sidelines as the Cardinals made mincemeat of the Packers Sunday and felt kinda ashamed for not displaying more fight as of late Smile been taking too much out on my golfing buddies; gotta get refocused on the cattle breeding competition...
I see Steadfast has became Short-Lived...kinda sad about that; but maybe there was more BS than passion?

Back to top Go down
Mean Spirit

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale   2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 30, 2015 9:41 am

Steadfast? The Red Angus Julian guy? Where's he going?
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale   2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 30, 2015 10:40 am

Mean Spirit wrote:
Steadfast? The Red Angus Julian guy?  Where's he going?

No clue
.left the conversation here Pissed sometime ago, so I usually check in on that group progress now and then
Back to top Go down
tc

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale   2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 30, 2015 12:37 pm

MKeeney wrote:
another brief interlude from cattle stuff to publicly  thank Travis,
for your acknowledgement below...

ON RARE OCCASIONS...

EVERYTHING  IS PERFECT AND BEAUTIFUL... Very Happy

2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 8 Shelby_zpsuhhne3zc

What a beautiful young Lady!

play this in the background as you  king  discuss this Motown afro  outing with Shirley   queen

"I might have some explaining to do!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzDVaKRApcg

or just read her the words ...

Now once, I was down hearted
Disappointment, was my closest friend
But then you, came and it soon departed
And you know he never
Showed his face again

I'm so glad, I've finally found you
Yes that one, in a million girls
And I whip, my loving arms around you
I can stand up, and face the world

Let me tell ya, your love (your love keeps lifting me)
Keep on lifting (love keeps lifting me)
Higher (lifting me)
Higher and higher (higher)
I said your love (your love keeps lifting me)
Keep on (love keeps lifting me)
Lifting me (lifting me)
Higher and higher (higher)

on April 16 we can celebrate the musical...and having our taxes paid once again cheers  cheers

Travis, I think you meant this comment to go here...so I edited

"I might have some explaining to do!"

yes, you might ,mk Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale   2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 30, 2015 10:32 pm

I need Pat`s help here...
2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 8 1272015_zpsbwq2mbnc

is there a company; a dna genomic test I can use on this commercial cow to set my profile base ? {are any of those words correct terminology?} I think I was wrong in an above assumption about her...she`s still a carrot; probably can`t hurt using her sons; but you shouldn`t try to make a herd like her...too much grow; too much milk, too much frame, to expect to repeat the breed back in lots of cows with her package of characteristics...

Back to top Go down
Bob H

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale   2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 31, 2015 8:22 am

Mike she will be fine if you would add a lot of input costs and her udder does not blow up or when she is 16 or 17 hundred lbs she does not cripple herself. In the commercial business I would not worry about her she will take care of herself if she does not die.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale   2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 31, 2015 5:17 pm

Bob H wrote:
Mike she will be fine if you would add a lot of input costs and her udder does not blow up or when she is 16 or 17 hundred lbs she does not cripple herself. In the commercial business I would not worry about her she will take care of herself if she does not die.

Bob,
I`m just not going draw any more conclusions about this cow until I get her genomic tested Wink Wink Wink
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale   2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 31, 2015 6:37 pm

Some Fraiser linkage? Calf is nice sized with height.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale   2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 31, 2015 7:30 pm

EddieM wrote:
Some Fraiser linkage?  Calf is nice sized with height.

29 both sides. ..though the sire has not,nor will be DNA verified Wink I
Back to top Go down
Bob H

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale   2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 31, 2015 8:38 pm

Mike why not send me the money for the DNA test and I will buy whiskey with the money, the cow will live or die and we both will be happy. Happy New Year.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale   2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 03, 2016 1:55 pm

EddieM wrote:

Eddie, I sold this bull to a fine young man who was tired of the feeder calf dock associated with the "Angus purity" con producing too many of what was once the little short, fat  farao  type...I say once, because judging from the Coffelt video`s, the type has changed...or the grass was so poor...or the cattle so poor doing on the grass...or various combinations of all three, that fat is not a word that can automatically be attributed to a farao  prefix...

2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 8 2016-01-03%2010_03_23_zpsamxm41cv
3 yr old last fall; the perfect cure for short...

A good memory here...I had several cow numbers picked out at Larry`s for purchase , and Larry and Joe go out the last morning before we leave for Joe to pick a cow...on my last quick trip through, I could find neither Joe`s pick or another cow Larry described to be really moderate with a nice udder that he thinks I might want {so I say send her; that is a426 that now resides at Tom`s; she was just as advertised}...
but Joe`s cow was described much the same by both men; I started smiling as soon as I saw here in KY; small was 1500 lbs of cow in that Shoshone model of type Smile
more laughter when I called Larry to report on the arrival; he says, "you know, when we got those cows up to health paper, that 6375 is a pretty big cow" Very Happy Very Happy  yelp, I agree Larry, and pretty damn nice Exclamation and more laughter...
 when the cow calved in April, he was a big {95 lb  guess}, leggy, kind of awkward calf that reminded me so much of the first Titan calves I saw on my first trip to Larry`s...since neither Joe nor I name our bulls too glamorously, following unwanted, long toe, and crooked pecker came our Titan... Smile  bred just as he looked; more frame and length...
just again saying that it is rare when a pedigree; or prefix can ascertain a specific type to the unseen.....hard enough to know thy own ...looking at them...
Back to top Go down
pukerimu

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale   2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 03, 2016 4:24 pm

That is a nice bull!!.

I am going to have to disagree with you though Mike - when you have a gene pool as narrow as NZ's (and I suggest in certain sectors in the US it would be worse with all the named bulls seeming related to each other - closely) then it is pretty easy for us to imagine exactly what the cattle will look and potentially breed like - not very often do we have to eat humble, got that one wrong, pie.  Knowing almost to the "t" what to expect from our cows based on their family lines, and our own bulls based on their cow lines and other people's bulls, which were introduced based on the same principals, I am a firm believer that if there are enough generations then you can predict pretty well what an animal will both look like and produce like based on their family tree aka pedigree.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mtmableangus.co.nz
Kent Powell

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale   2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 03, 2016 4:36 pm

When you think you have them consistent in type through selection, tighten them up and begin sorting again.
Back to top Go down
http://powellangus.com
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale   2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 03, 2016 4:47 pm

I started to credit you Megan and OCC ...but then thought everyone could just toot their own horn cheers Cool consistency can also mean as in the example of OCC, that you don`t like anything they have...
There were too many projects at Larry`s; too many here for sure to say the prefix and a certain type and level of characteristics come to mind {for me anyway}...
I pretty much know what`s going to happen with various projects here; but there are still surprises that surface; especially when you closer breed...
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale   2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 03, 2016 4:57 pm

MKeeney wrote:
EddieM wrote:

Eddie, I sold this bull to a fine young man who was tired of the feeder calf dock associated with the "Angus purity" con producing too many of what was once the little short, fat  farao  type...I say once, because judging from the Coffelt video`s, the type has changed...or the grass was so poor...or the cattle so poor doing on the grass...or various combinations of all three, that fat is not a word that can automatically be attributed to a farao  prefix...

2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 8 2016-01-03%2010_03_23_zpsamxm41cv
3 yr old last fall; the perfect cure for short...

A good memory here...I had several cow numbers picked out at Larry`s for purchase , and Larry and Joe go out the last morning before we leave for Joe to pick a cow...on my last quick trip through, I could find neither Joe`s pick or another cow Larry described to be really moderate with a nice udder that he thinks I might want {so I say send her; that is a426 that now resides at Tom`s; she was just as advertised}...
but Joe`s cow was described much the same by both men; I started smiling as soon as I saw here in KY; small was 1500 lbs of cow in that Shoshone model of type Smile
more laughter when I called Larry to report on the arrival; he says, "you know, when we got those cows up to health paper, that 6375 is a pretty big cow" Very Happy Very Happy  yelp, I agree Larry, and pretty damn nice Exclamation and more laughter...
 when the cow calved in April, he was a big {95 lb  guess}, leggy, kind of awkward calf that reminded me so much of the first Titan calves I saw on my first trip to Larry`s...since neither Joe nor I name our bulls too glamorously, following unwanted, long toe, and crooked pecker came our Titan... Smile  bred just as he looked; more frame and length...
just again saying that it is rare when a pedigree; or prefix can ascertain a specific type to the unseen.....hard enough to know thy own ...looking at them...

Mike, big isn't always bad unless you are only selling shorties. If I had to err a bit I'd rather the animal be a tad bit big than a tad bit small. Kinda'like the three bears but with a little bit more tolerance. Never had many buyers who were not enamored with the biggest bull in the pasture even if they were looking for calving ease when they rode up. Anymore when I look through a program, a catalog, a group or a herd trying to find "just one" that might work I have decided I am in the wrong place or looking at the wrong stuff.
Back to top Go down
Bob H

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale   2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 03, 2016 5:29 pm

Mike it is about a population not an individual, there has to be a top and a bottom to have a bell curve. True line breeding is about keeping the majority in the middle. Nature will not let you breed them all alike because of variation in environments.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale   2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2016 9:09 am

I`ve taken the Facebook plunge to try and generate more exposure...I have no great expectations; more exposure of a message people
don`t wish to hear changes little... Rolling Eyes
It`s kinda fun offering to "friend" the cons, bureaucrats, and other enemies of common sense and true genetic improvement {not necessarily genetic change}
at the end of the day, there is more uniting us than separates us...maybe  Shocked  Wink

https://www.facebook.com/mike.keeney.71
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale   2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2016 9:11 am

Adage: keep friend close and enemies even closer. One big bundle of love and joy. Bon Voyage.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale   2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2016 9:27 am

EddieM wrote:
Adage: keep friend close and enemies even closer.  One big bundle of love and joy.  Bon Voyage.

yeah, this is just choir practice here...reach out cheers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnDm3qr1Knk

wow...the Four Tops were something; got my tickets bought for Motown the Musical April 16...what a wonderful respite
from April 15; celebrating memories with favorite friends cheers
Back to top Go down
Mark Day

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale   2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2016 4:43 am

Mike,
Nice Facebook page. Now you need a Twitter and Instagram accounts. Shocked I know you would never subtweet as you would just make your point clear and direct to your favorite people.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale   2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2016 5:56 am

It's a fun effort. ..the reward is in the doing...just like cattle breeding , time is the greatest expense
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale   2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2016 3:07 pm

A good day in KY to be near the fire...

2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 8 Winterday5_zpssyejqo9j

or some feed...

2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 8 Winter6_zpssnnsyuw1

2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 8 WINTERDAY7_zps24aq5mhz
Back to top Go down
larkota

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale   2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2016 7:26 pm

MKeeney wrote:
A good day in KY to be near the fire...

2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 8 Winterday5_zpssyejqo9j

or some feed...

2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 8 Winter6_zpssnnsyuw1

2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 8 WINTERDAY7_zps24aq5mhz

didn't know you got south dakota registurd calving weather. white concrete better then mud.

joke for today
Q. how can you tell when a registurd cow is ready to calf?
A. she pulls away from the bunk and heads to the barn.

Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale   2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2016 7:34 pm

so that`s why the playboys at the KY Beef Cattle Association were building and bedding a "maternity barn"...reckon they bed with green shavings?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale   2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 8 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale
Page 8 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next