Keeney`s Corner
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale

Go down 
+13
Bob H
Mark Day
tc
RobertMac
tulip
Tom D
pukerimu
larkota
EddieM
outsidethebox
Danny Miller
Grassfarmer
shilow angus
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
MKeeney
Admin

2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale   2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2015 8:54 pm

2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 5 F6c20126-373c-4515-85a9-026cc9eef081_zpsgdwrfx7e

2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 5 951fddd7-4937-4e6d-b484-dfaab09a5fb6_zpscwyzxyku

Mark, we pretty much use the same bulls; your cows look the same; do about the same; the greatest difference is now dependent on the variability of our grass from year to year ... ....no great claims here; just cows that free you to coach track...definitely a good thing...
sure recommended to Craig to keep coaching hockey...although two years of jr high bb coaching was enough for me... the kids not any problem; just the mamas and papas Smile

Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
pukerimu

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale   2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2015 5:18 am

Ahhh - nice black cows in good green grass - that is my kind of picture! Who's wouldn't it be .... really?
Back to top Go down
http://www.mtmableangus.co.nz
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale   2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2015 6:46 am

Linda and I got to sit a spell on the front porch at Travis and Shirley`s yesterday...brought the two year old home that looks to be a fool-proof heifer bull; 2905 son, sick haired and gentle...took a close bred Encore over for Travis to test and school; hope you never buy another bull Travis; believing/hoping there will always be something here good enough for you to use...
Travis, tell Shirley the pumpkin pie she made for us rivals my mom`s; Linda agrees...I thought none ever could...
Back to top Go down
tc

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale   2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2015 8:18 am

MKeeney wrote:
Linda and I got to sit a spell on the front porch at Travis and Shirley`s yesterday...brought the two year old home that  looks to be a fool-proof heifer bull; 2905 son, sick haired and gentle...took a close bred Encore over for Travis to test and school; hope you never buy another bull Travis; believing/hoping there will always be something here good enough for you to use...
Travis, tell Shirley the pumpkin pie she made for us rivals my mom`s; Linda agrees...I thought none ever could...

We enjoyed the visit Mike as always. Shirley was flattered with the compliment, anytime someone compares something that their mom cooks is a very high compliment!
Back to top Go down
tc

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale   2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSat May 30, 2015 8:53 am

MKeeney wrote:
Linda and I got to sit a spell on the front porch at Travis and Shirley`s yesterday...brought the two year old home that  looks to be a fool-proof heifer bull; 2905 son, sick haired and gentle...took a close bred Encore over for Travis to test and school; hope you never buy another bull Travis; believing/hoping there will always be something here good enough for you to use...

Mike, My plan is to always have a Keeney Angus Bull here, I the Like the type!
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale   2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 03, 2015 8:55 am

seems I could have sold a dozen bulls this past week; but wonder about the willing price someone waiting to turnout expects to pay...this year it may be substantial from necessity of no bulls available...
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale   2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 07, 2015 8:14 am

more calls for bulls...seems the 20 below winter has taken a toll...still reluctant to pay a price increase relative to feeder cattle; I turned out 3 older bulls unchecked; makes me a little uneasy; but after a 30 day seedstock breeding season, will just leave the job to the checked Limmy`s...looking forward to the known final crossbred results; just wondering how many problems are encountered along the way...the elimination of problems still more important to profit than selection for "growth"...
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale   2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2015 8:24 am

trying to learn this camera; quality, size, uploading, etc...KA 123

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olCNonSsGak&feature=youtu.be
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale   2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 11, 2015 8:57 am

nice report out of Montana this morning...71 heifers calved; one assist DOA calf; one calf found dead later after being born ok;
no, the sires are not Longhorn or Wagyu, they are Tru-X Angus that will make profitable cows ...
Back to top Go down
Mark Day

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale   2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2015 5:33 am

Nice enough bull to video Mike. Now you just need to add a little music to it. Smile
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale   2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2015 7:11 am

I don`t like the quality/lighting...I don`t like the price of a better camera...btw, I put your pic up of the track meet; took it down...seems one hypocrite wrestling coach in high places cast a shadow over all the good people giving of their time to coach kids... been there; done that; pretty thankless job...so thanks cheers
Back to top Go down
Mark Day

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale   2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2015 9:33 am

Mike,
Coaching about like selling Bulls. There is always going to be some unhappy people in the crowd. We accomplished some things for the first time in the history of the school but a few people rather unhappy with the high expectations of team work and performance. A lot of frustration for $1000 which is about like selling Bulls for $2500 in today's market. We just have to find happiness in helping the others.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale   2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2015 2:05 pm

Mark Day wrote:
Mike,
Coaching about like selling Bulls. There is always going to be some unhappy people in the crowd. We accomplished some things for the first time in the history of the school but a few people rather unhappy with the high expectations of team work and performance. A lot of frustration for $1000 which is about like selling Bulls for $2500 in today's market. We just have to find happiness in helping the others.

2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 5 IMG_3099_zps2hnwvw6h

way to go Mark; do it for them; and it will be good for you..
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale   2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2015 8:58 pm

you`re not supposed to calve in Feb in KY...But you can {if you don`t remove the little 2 yr old nubbin bull hid away running out all winter with the cows...

you`re not supposed to use bigger framed cows, but you can...

you`re not supposed to let fescue mature, but you can...

you`re not supposed to have much milk, but you can...

you`re supposed to have fleshing ease cows, but there`s no need...

2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 5 63c27bac-0847-4fe4-9996-474536c580e9_zps67gwmbyy

when the type is right, and the fertility is bred in...

her calf will be the only calf I know the sire of this year; by accident; or maybe I should say by neglect Smile

2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 5 47984ca4-27d7-4b37-9656-ba99c9246469_zpsfg8ilsvd

of course he will be retained; and I hope we see his close bred maternal brother and his progeny next year  at the Show-Me Gathering ...

Jay Leachman asked Larry how you could expect to have traits transmitted that were not expressed in the sire...gesshhh, registered breeders must not have believed in pedigree either  Laughing  Laughing  of course, I do believe in pedigree; a pedigree of characteristics; not names...

When I select the bulls I use, I visualize their five to ten generation pedigrees as a pen of cattle. In an ideal pen, the cows in the pen would be more similiar to the preferred type. Of course, the same cow appears in the pen several times among the more inbred stock. Since the bulls are simply the progenitors for the maternal characteristics, their indivdual performance is secondary. While I have flirted with a few of the more extreme bulls within the population, I have finally learned to avoid them altogether.  Larry Leonhardt

this calf is not extreme in the population; merely restored to his true phenotypic value...but his mother is certainly a preferred model ...

edit...Mark thinks we need more music...

Ronstadt It`s So Easy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stq4-99-J74
Back to top Go down
Mark Day

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale   2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2015 6:58 am

Good job getting back on topic Mike. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale   2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2015 8:00 am

Mark,
threads just flow like rivers; through the point of least resistance...I would like to get a pic of the cow`s yearling son I`m using; but that might be an uphill battle Smile
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale   2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2015 8:12 am

Surely that cow type is out of date, Mike? Come on, get with the program. Add some legs, feed some forage soyhull pellets, add pounds, streamline, swim upstream, add milk, go organic, clip some hair, add growth, add feed efficiency, mob graze, use carcass data to select cows, hope for a calf year after next, do some advanced testing, talk up the dream, buy futures in the beef tallow market, search for better bulls with less faults than the other better bulls, be a herd quitter, flush, take off some height, feed less, do a fly score, partner, ...

New slogan for the mainstream: "If it doesn't say EXAR, it isn't Angus".

I can only wonder where the gene profiles will concentrate for a base population in the future, better, advanced, more expensive, modern, state of the art, all telling and all knowing genetic test results? Pat, you use many EXAR bulls so that your cattle will fit into the testing?
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale   2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2015 12:48 pm

EddieM wrote:
Surely that cow type is out of date, Mike?  Come on, get with the program.  Add some legs, feed some forage soyhull pellets, add pounds, streamline, swim upstream, add milk, go organic, clip some hair, add growth, add feed efficiency, mob graze, use carcass data to select cows, hope for a calf year after next, do some advanced testing, talk up the dream, buy futures in the beef tallow market, search for better bulls with less faults than the other better bulls, be a herd quitter, flush, take off some height, feed less, do a fly score, partner, ...

New slogan for the mainstream: "If it doesn't say EXAR, it isn't Angus".  

I can only wonder where the gene profiles will concentrate for a base population in the future, better, advanced, more expensive, modern, state of the art, all telling and all knowing genetic test results?  Pat, you use many EXAR bulls so that your cattle will fit into the testing?

the yearling son is currently undergoing the only test he will ever get; or need...there are still too many obvious flaws I can work on without buying test to find more...test are designed to find cattle that defy nature; I`m having hard enough time just living with nature while  finding a profit therein... that`s the only epd I use....Expected Profit Difference...commercially derived; not con game based...

2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 5 E0942b5e-01d3-4868-97b1-dac9be188aab_zpsnw8bl3oq
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale   2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2015 8:12 am

from the real world of New Mexico commercial production, Bill Riggins sends these pics of  close bred Encore lineage from embryo`s I sent him...while BriannL and I are  both such poor salesmen, I am better at giving stock away...when you get back off your Alaska cruise Briann, maybe you can answer how did we ever come to get in this position? It wasn`t by selling  $100,000 bulls, and it damn sure wasn`t by buying a $100,000 bull...maybe some should re-read Burke`s article about the priority of genetics in profit... http://beefmagazine.com/blog/ranch-profitability-secret-more-powerful-genetics...

2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 5 2015062295193440_zpszrnl5bto

2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 5 2015062295201118%202_zpsdzswv7sc

Bill, to get $100,000 out of these calves, commercial producers are going  to either better understand close breeding...OR you need more feed, shine, clip, and BS...easy to see why most marketers choose the latter, by far easier...
a good comparison would be to use the $100,000 bull side by side with these close bred calves in your environment...nayyyyy, tried that, won`t work, there are none so blind as those that will not see
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale   2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2015 12:30 pm

Well, Mike, here you are a multistate success by some unknown means and I am a complete failure. I worked the last group of pairs this morning and that makes 100% of our cows that have flies. Where did I go wrong? How can I deal with the shame? Should I turn to booze, drugs or golf?
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale   2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2015 12:56 pm

Eddie, so much for the long range wormer +pinkeye control theories; got a new pinkeye control theory ? I can bust it...no flies, no seed heads, isolated from other cattle; 600 wt 20 % pinkeye...oh, no grain either; except their mothers might have had some 10 years ago scratch
...if you want the promise of genetic pinkeye resistance in cattle, buy a PCC bull...they instilled it in a short three months; all over the country...must have been some gene splicing technique...I may have to go the old fashioned way with one of Robert`s bulls...of course now that some Beefmaster`s are black; they most likely have black`s problems....
Back to top Go down
RobertMac

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale   2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 26, 2015 10:58 am

Mike, you know most of those registered black Beefmasters got there with registered black Angus genes. No tru-line benefits there.
By the way, what is pink eye? Laughing
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale   2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 26, 2015 12:27 pm

RobertMac wrote:
Mike, you know most of those registered black Beefmasters got there with registered black Angus genes. No tru-line benefits there.
By the way, what is pink eye? Laughing

Very Happy Very Happy I can`t shout the Family Feud good answer Exclamation cheers so let`s try GOOD QUESTION Exclamation Very Happy
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Fraternal vs maternal   2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 26, 2015 12:58 pm

Fraternal vs maternal

nope, not a mis-spelling...

got a nice pr form letter thank you  for attending a sale...a pondering statement in it says ...

People buy cattle. I have never seen one cow buy another, therefore, whether we like it or not, we are in the people business.

I am not in the people business; I`m in the cattle business; in light of the truthiness of the statement above, my two statements would seem to eliminate me from the registered business.

does it eliminate one from the seedstock business as well? Do you need a friend or a bull?
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale   2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 5 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 27, 2015 12:43 pm

what a beautiful, cool, rainy Saturday reading morning...and a funny one observing the anthill...this phrase struck a funny note..."honest Christian"...is that somehow different than " honest man"?

and Scott has made a valiant effort titled the end of breeds...way late to the choir, the end of breeds began with the "performance "movement...all that is left are registries, not breeds...the current struggle is about the disappearance of breed associations, of which only one will be left standing...most likely good riddance cheers
those who wish to make new breeds, or continue old ones, will do so by putting their own name on them...

Lasater

Shoshone

Wye

others ?

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale   2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale - Page 5 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

2015 Keeney Angus Bull Sale
Page 5 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next