Keeney`s Corner
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale

Go down 
+20
Hilly
Grassfarmer
Mark Day
PatB
OAK LANE FARM
Mean Spirit
Roy
shilow angus
SOWBOY
df
EddieM
Tom D
robert
tc
Double B
rross
Bob H
chocolate cow
larkota
MKeeney
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
MKeeney
Admin

Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale   Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 7:14 am

Ben Loyning wrote:
Keep showing these pictures Mike and I might have to do me some real genetic rustling. What are the brand laws there in Ky. Very Happy Good looking bull for making functionally efficient females. I think that is the right kind of masculinity. Got a bull here that looks alot like him but better not give a pedigree or a number or may just have the "Genetic Rustlers" snooping around here!
Ben
Well Ben, no point in BREEDERS rustling what can be had for free...Where will the heifers with Beetseed calves be first of August?
Dennis, a couple more sincere Tru-line types want to join us on the Butte this summer...would you by chance have a wrap around sofa to fit on the truck bed rather than the straight one we used last summer, or should I start daily observing the Two Dot Craigslist looking for a used one...? I just hate having to spend all that time searching the Two Dot used furniture listings Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale   Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 8:31 am

MK, No trucks, no sofas this year, just a palanquin with LL on it and the rest of us carrying it across the cow pastures.
Back to top Go down
rross

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale   Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 8:42 am

I have the wrap-around back seat out of a "71" T-Bird, you can use.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale   Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 8:54 am

Seems like some very entertainig possibilities this year...I don`t mind carrying LL around on that palanquin?? thing if it`s what I think it is down on the lower pastures, {and by August his weight will be back down after "fleshing up" this winter} but if it`s ok with everyone, I`d just as soon skip going to the top of the Butte Smile
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale   Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 1:48 pm

Dennis Voss wrote:
MK, No trucks, no sofas this year, just a palanquin with LL on it and the rest of us carrying it across the cow pastures.
Dennis,
I hate to be too demanding, but I would like a sketch of this scene to frame and hang on my wall to immortalize LL and you with..
Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 2 Palequin

I would hope we could be going up the Butte; the little short guys in front; Jack and yourself manning the rear so we could keep LL on the level; I think I can speak for all the carriers when I suggest we would prefer boots, levis, and hats over loincloths Smile

It`s windy today; we`re drying out; I depend on Mother Nature to make my bulls presentable to the general public in photographs...she needs a couple of days yet...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale   Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 1:55 pm

Any man going around, quotin' Cindy, best put on some MAN clothes...........Lefty hid under the porch when I come out singin' True Colors, not sure if he will even ride with me anymore. Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale   Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 2:46 pm

Which thread was the rabbit carrying his head?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale   Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 7:13 pm

Mr. True Colors, what kind of females is selling on the Cumberland?
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale   Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 9:02 pm

Bootheel wrote:
Joe,
around 20 head straight Angus, pens of 5, the smaller and later end of H&H fall 2009 heifers; a few from Mark Day,all open...grazed them last summer; hay and silage this winter, weighing 750 to 800 ...
13 Feb heifers by a Felix son I raised, from Gelbvieh-Angus cross cows...they are pretty big; but big in a pretty way...850 plus I`d guess...
will weigh both groups the week of the sale before going into the pens; minimum price around steer price; maybe a little less, since the dollars are going to add up just by the lb; and no stockyard commission, no shrink, no auctioneer, no ringmen, no clipping, no paid photographers, no pelvic measurements, no tract scores, no AI, no epd, and no guru blessing them to take half the money...
they won`t all make cows that look like the one below, but most will imitate her type...

Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 2 541-311-1

Ben,
this is the dam of the bull pictured back a little ways and below that I don`t think the world is ready for...and how can she be any good? She`s a frame five, and you can see just in ratty ass shape after a wet and cold winter by our standards eating stockpile and $40/ton hay...if you come to rustle the bull, just get her worthless ass too; here we are 13 days into calving and she`s at least a week away; better crossbreed her to get some fertility...her number is 541 in case you can`t pick her out from the 50 herd mates in her pasture...I turned her around in photobucket to expose her number, but damn, the freeze brand number stayed on the other side... Smile

Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 2 Louie3811-1

Back to top Go down
Double B

Double B

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale   Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 9:08 pm

It's gettin green there Mike
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: 6309 evaluation   Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 4:38 am

I`ve been trusting Shoshone Fenley 6309a with our younger maternal cows, finally now beginning to get into the verify phase...I am very pleased, but it doesn`t take a lot to please me...just no problems and a consistent type that suits me; Fenley gives every indication of being a "till death do us part" kind of bull...here are three two year old daughters very representative of the average of the sire group...there is plenty more just like them, I might get time; might not, to picture...what you would get using Fenley or his sons, would depend on what you got to breed them to, but I`m confident in the prepotency to move progeny in this direction...understanding not everyone wants this type "direction", some want more than type, some need data, some want epds, some expect miracles...I can pretty much disarm my "selling blue sky" critics by saying, if you need those things, you`ll need to buy your bulls somewhere else and I wish you luck...
Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 2 63dau2-1-1
Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 2 63dau3-1
Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 2 63dau1-1
Back to top Go down
tc

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale   Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 6:13 am

They look good Mike, was thinking about keeping the Fenley heifer I have,now I know I will. [more next fall hopefully]
Back to top Go down
robert

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale   Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 7:29 am

MKeeney wrote:
Bootheel wrote:

Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 2 541-311-1

really appreciate the consistent type and quality in the females, but didn't realise you were a board fence, kentucky stud farm operation... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale   Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 7:43 am

sadly Robert, rented pasture Smile
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: more inbreeding progeny results   Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 3:35 am

I mentioned in a reflections post a little, short bodied bull I used that "performance data" would have steered in a hurry....these are the type
of his daughters; weight, heavy springing, 1300 plus...no, they aren`t perfect...none here are...just ok at paying their costs...

Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 2 7503-1

Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 2 7503-4-1

Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 2 7503-6-1-1

Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 2 552calf-2-1
Back to top Go down
robert

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale   Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 9:19 pm

a 4 wheeler with a cab? really? in sunny Kentucky? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Tom D
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale   Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 10:26 pm

It doubles as his golfcart.
Back to top Go down
Double B

Double B

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale   Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 10:43 pm

I just wonder---- Does the dog get in there with you?
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale   Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2011 2:40 am

Double B wrote:
I just wonder---- Does the dog get in there with you?
best $120 I`ve spent lately...keeps the rain and wind off, and holds not one, but two dogs Smile
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale   Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2011 3:36 am

73 sunny degrees yesterday, and inclines me to search through my relics of the past for my clippers...my most recent herd sire addition to the gene pool was panting yesterday; I suspect the undercoat of hair is really Wyoming thick...it won`t be a big job; kinda like counting Pyramid Con Collaborator flies, there is not a lot of surface area to deal with...610lbs @ 10 months; wonder how that would affect the database in St. Joe, and I can hear the cries of foul from the "performance breeders" who are clueless as to what inbreeding involves, envisions, and accomplishes ...
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale   Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 19, 2011 8:37 am

Quote :
best $120 I`ve spent lately...keeps the rain and wind off, and holds not one, but two dogs

Mike is rough, tough, mean and bad so he didn't buy it for himself. He just didn't want his dogs to get cold and wet! lol!
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale   Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2011 3:15 am

Well, finishing up my little sheet that imitates a catalog thingey here tonight, filling in numbers for calving ease {important, but not much difference in many, since there are no LH alternatives in the sale}, giving an udder, temperament, and hair score which is always a 4 or 5 {5 best} because the knife has taken care of all that weren`t 4 or 5. Feeling pretty much like a damn fool hypocrite, filling in blanks like it matters, knowing 4`s can breed 5`s, and 5`s can breed 4`s...hopefully never, at least rarely, worse...
Got a sire listed, which means a lot to me, because I, but only I, know the characteristics associated with the sire...eliminated "dam`s sire" this year, who could know what my chosen individual cows do, act like, perform like, look like, but me?...yet, I catch myself momentarily in lockstep with tradition, everytime I pick up my bathroom reading material, pouring over the Wye catalog, even the gar, pedigrees...as if it has pertinence to me, who knows or has experienced nothing in 25 years what the Wye bulls represent, and the experience with a couple of GAR bulls was what growth bulls should do, be bigger...hoooohummm...the second GAR, I was smart enough to find the genetics once removed from the oasis, one third the price, for the same blend without the added BS...
So, I see this as the last year I`ll go through this less than traditional routine which is still pretty traditional...next year, preparing the East to survive in the cattle business, we`ll imitate the West that Voss envisions coming, we`ll cut the bulls into groups according to what they are expected to do, tell what they are expected to do, and only write it once and without any public pedigree etc...that the public isn`t acquainted with anyway...drive them into their pens and say "here they are boys, buy outa this pen to do this", etc...
I`ll say trust me once to know what I`m doing, because I`ve made a living doing it commercially; once should be enough to earn trust, though true cattlemen know nothing is infallible; but trusting once is all I ask...every buyer is entitled to "fool me once; shame on you; fool me twice; shame on me" as a legitimate practice...I won`t need df`s data, or df`s testimonial, and I won`t be getting df`s BIF award for being in lockstep with what df`s cohorts prescribe as the cure to my illness...and illness that they and the BS marketers must create with psychology, because they can`t with commercial economics... my economy is not sick; only the tax dependent economies are sick; I`m hoping they get plumb ill, and learn some homopatheic remedies instead of whining to us taxpaying, cure-all doctors...
so looking in my crystal ball, knowing how traditionalists react to total rebellion, I could be spending more time up on the little Butte`s around here with a little four inch hole in the middle of slick, manicured bent grass...but then, there`s always that hope that springs eternal...that rebellion could spread... Smile
CATALOG, bull listing, whatever you wish to call it, posted on the net, and mailed by Thursday...pictures over the weekend...thanks ...
Back to top Go down
tc

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale   Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2011 6:09 am

Mike, Out of all the Catalogs I get throughout the year, yours is the one I look forward to the most, I even get some wraped in plastic,all pages in color each bull or cow trimed and pamered to a tea but I know what you tell me in a short description and a few numbers about each bull,that's is what they will do and I appriciated that. tks tc..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale   Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2011 1:21 pm

how does a guy get one of these catologs delivered to a bridge in Mt.?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale   Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 11:03 am

Been awhile since I been on here. Would like it mike if you could email me a "catalog". We are getting along pretty well since the fire. Finally able to keep my head above water with all going on. The good news is I have a student teacher the next 8 weeks so that gives me some time to catch up on alot things.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale   Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale
Page 2 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next