Keeney`s Corner
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale

Go down 
+20
Hilly
Grassfarmer
Mark Day
PatB
OAK LANE FARM
Mean Spirit
Roy
shilow angus
SOWBOY
df
EddieM
Tom D
robert
tc
Double B
rross
Bob H
chocolate cow
larkota
MKeeney
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
df

Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale   Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 01, 2011 1:22 pm

Back to top Go down
Mean Spirit

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale   Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 01, 2011 11:56 pm

I can't even imagine a world where you can measure profitability improvements by looking at changes in epd. Really, this can't prove anything other than that the epds are improving. Who the he'll knows what it says about the cattle and the cattlemen?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale   Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 02, 2011 12:42 am

Good luck tomorrow Mike. I hope you have a nice day filled with lots of repeat customers. Jack
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale   Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 02, 2011 2:46 am

Thanks Jack and everyone who helps make Keeney`s Corner work...the interest in our cattle and the revolution* has been incredible the last few days; I hope we can transfer that into a happy ending for everyone that has called...that means a good bull at a good deal price; a sale that is the real deal, instead of the big deal...thanks Scott and Brian, for letting me rustle that quote...
Right now, if Tallgrass ultrasounded me, I`m afraid my loin shape would show low tolerance to stress, I am awake with lots of thoughts, good thoughts, running through my mind.
my special thanks to my friend and adversary df, who continues to present the theorectical that works so perfectly every time to give a profit...with increasing profit charts like those presented, I can`t believe more aren`t leaving the tenured halls of academia to get in the real rather than imagined cattle business...surely Simmental is the big deal with all that data...oh, it`s not? why?
My most worrisome concept right now is getting 80 head of cattle into 10 pens without ever having attended a cattle handling school...good temperament cattle should compensate once again for my lack of formal education and handling facilities...shall I record how many minutes the chore takes??

revolution*...

"Is it a rebellion?" asked Louis XVI of the count who informed him of the fall of the Bastille.

"No, sire," came the reply. "It is a revolution."

Sale report tonight and it won`t mention top selling bulls...I hope they all bring the same price; the ultimate measure of breeding and selling success...

Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
SOWBOY

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale   Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 02, 2011 6:04 am

MKeeney wrote:
Thanks Jack and everyone who helps make Keeney`s Corner work...the interest in our cattle and the revolution* has been incredible the last few days; I hope we can transfer that into a happy ending for everyone that has called...that means a good bull at a good deal price; a sale that is the real deal, instead of the big deal...thanks Scott and Brian, for letting me rustle that quote...
Right now, if Tallgrass ultrasounded me, I`m afraid my loin shape would show low tolerance to stress, I am awake with lots of thoughts, good thoughts, running through my mind.
my special thanks to my friend and adversary df, who continues to present the theorectical that works so perfectly every time to give a profit...with increasing profit charts like those presented, I can`t believe more aren`t leaving the tenured halls of academia to get in the real rather than imagined cattle business...surely Simmental is the big deal with all that data...oh, it`s not? why?
My most worrisome concept right now is getting 80 head of cattle into 10 pens without ever having attended a cattle handling school...good temperament cattle should compensate once again for my lack of formal education and handling facilities...shall I record how many minutes the chore takes??

revolution*...

"Is it a rebellion?" asked Louis XVI of the count who informed him of the fall of the Bastille.

"No, sire," came the reply. "It is a revolution."

Sale report tonight and it won`t mention top selling bulls...I hope they all bring the same price; the ultimate measure of breeding and selling success...

"May the Force be with you". MIkeL
Back to top Go down
OAK LANE FARM

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale   Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 02, 2011 8:08 am

GOOD LUCK MIKE. I saw your sale sheet Mike and my thought was that the bulls looked just like the ones you have been selling for the last 15 years. That should be good enough to make females like you have been featuring pictures of. I have been to two bull sales in the last week that have averaged over $4000. These should average around half of that because they are "BETTER BULLS"! Again best of luck to the seller and to the buyers. Scott- from the Hessian With No Aggression Tribe
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale   Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 02, 2011 8:12 am

On the scene and the bulls look better than ever.... Their mothers look ok too.
Back to top Go down
df

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale   Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 02, 2011 8:51 am

Good luck at the sale. Taking out the surprises and fluf should give confidence to buyers. It has to be refreshing to have a personal relationship with "the salt of the earth" cattlemen. As I am not part of the chapaign crowd, I had a beer last night in honor of the event. Very Happy Yes, Bob H, I am legally old enough to drink. cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Tom D
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale   Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 02, 2011 9:22 am

Gregory Walker wrote:

We have an imbedded reporter. Gregory, can you give us an idea of the mood of the rebels? We have received unconfirmed reports of at least one dog being sold, what else can you tell us about the strength of the opposition?
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale   Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 02, 2011 10:01 pm

All the dogs sold but one; all the bulls were sold but one;{a youg char} the sale average was about the same as it has been in the past...about 3 good feeder steers. I am very disappointed that a couple of past buyers that drove a far piece to get bulls were unable to get bulls bought...I will contact you guys that gave me bids tomorrow; quite exhausted here; the basketball game promises to be tense, but relaxing compared to hosting a bull sale.
Thanks to everyone; onward we go...next stops of the revolution ; Larkota and McNamee...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale   Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 02, 2011 11:42 pm

Hey Mike, Happy about the sale, sorry about the ball game. Jack
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale   Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 03, 2011 12:15 am

Good Job Mike! I guess people will pay decent money for bulls that don't have data on everything under the sun. Its always nice to buy from a PROGRAM who you trust.

Congatulations,
Ben
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale   Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 03, 2011 7:27 am

Jack McNamee wrote:
Hey Mike, Happy about the sale, sorry about the ball game. Jack

awww, Jack, you play bad, you deserve to lose...thanks Ben, the program produces the results, not the paper...you can create paper over night, a program takes a lifetime if you flounder around too much...the model ABC program is simple, pragmatic, and was well accepted in all three model groups yesterday; as even the Angus X bulls averaged well, and topped out at $3300...maybe a one year phenomenon; the brothers and sisters are on the ground again, we`ll test the continuity of demand next year with the cookie cutter product instead of "improving " them...
Back to top Go down
PatB

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale   Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 03, 2011 7:43 am

With the current price of beef those old salvage bulls are worth serious money. Why not cash them in and get some quality genetics?
Back to top Go down
SOWBOY

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale   Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 03, 2011 9:38 am

patb wrote:
With the current price of beef those old salvage bulls are worth serious money. Why not cash them in and get some quality genetics?
Quality?? Just how do you measure? I was scolded by my judging team coach for using that term in reasons. He asked how many pounds of quality did an individual carry? Seems like the new buzzword is "power". How do you quantify power? I don't think either term is relative to phenotype, but rather a product of management (feed). Now over 50 years since I was on a collegiate team, so what the hell would I know? MikeL
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale   Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 03, 2011 11:05 am

patb wrote:
hopefully, those old bulls were "quality" genetics to help make the new bulls sustain herd "quality" ...just looked at TN epd requirements as set by university "experts"...what a joke, an almost certain way to go backwards on cow herd profitability...but I bet they mirror that Simmy chart...
Back to top Go down
df

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale   Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 03, 2011 11:23 am

MKeeney wrote:
patb wrote:
hopefully, those old bulls were "quality" genetics to help make the new bulls sustain herd "quality" ...just looked at TN epd requirements as set by university "experts"...what a joke, an almost certain way to go backwards on cow herd profitability...but I bet they mirror that Simmy chart...

I bet they don't Very Happy
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale   Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 03, 2011 12:06 pm

df wrote:
MKeeney wrote:
patb wrote:

I bet they don't Very Happy
tell me a couple of really profitable simmy bulls and we`ll see where they fit the tn guidelines...one group of university theorists and trend followers can`t be far different from another...
Back to top Go down
Bob H

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale   Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 03, 2011 12:14 pm

Mike sounds like the sale went well noting to it after a life time of hard work.

It is interesting that people are talking about getting rid of their old bulls because of the salvage value, must not be happy with the genetic abillity that they have and not interested in seeing if what they have in the males has any longevity.
Back to top Go down
Mark Day

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale   Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 03, 2011 12:54 pm

Great to see you being rewarded for all of your hard work and risks taken along your journey. I know the acceptance of your thoughts and your product by the industry means more to you than the checks you will be depositing. From going through the sale pictures it really seems that you are hitting your intended target more frequently than my first visit about 15 years ago. Can't help but wonder how the heifers sold too?
Back to top Go down
PatB

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale   Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 03, 2011 1:30 pm

Bob H wrote:
Mike sounds like the sale went well noting to it after a life time of hard work.

It is interesting that people are talking about getting rid of their old bulls because of the salvage value, must not be happy with the genetic abillity that they have and not interested in seeing if what they have in the males has any longevity.

How many years can you use a bull in a small herd before the level of inbreeding becomes a challenge. Then there is the consideration of matures bulls weight on heifers. If you wish to use a bull for a number of years collect him an use the semen AI. All other reasons aside maybe they need to upgrade to shoshone/keeney genetics from more popular programs such as gardiners to get the bottom line back into the black. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mark Day

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale   Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 03, 2011 3:40 pm

Mature Char bull that weighed 2200 pds brought $2300 at the yard up here last week. Reason enough right there to trade a used car in for a new car and get money back.
Back to top Go down
Bob H

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale   Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 03, 2011 3:56 pm

I would agree with changing your terminal cross or heifer bulls because of weight. If your Maternal Line Bulls are to big I would think that the cows are to big also, The other thing that I think is that by not using Maternal bulls until they are worn out you are probaly lessening your selection process for longevity. ie bad hips,low libdo etc. We want the cows to live and breed to 20 years old but quit using the bulls when they are 5 or 6 seems to me we are allowing half of the genetic pool to slide. A. I. will allow any bull to be used as long as a tank of semen will last, I am not sure that a frozen cow has much value as a multiplier, seems like hamburger to me. Would like to have more discussion one these points thanks Bob
Back to top Go down
df

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale   Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 03, 2011 4:27 pm

http://herdbook.simmental.org/simmapp/template/animalSearch%2CCustomSearch.vm

type 130 as a min for API and type .5 for acc for Stay. Should get 13 bulls. I think the top bull is Shear Force at $171.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale   Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 03, 2011 4:33 pm

Tom D wrote:

Gregory Walker wrote:

We have an imbedded reporter. Gregory, can you give us an idea of the mood of the rebels? We have received unconfirmed reports of at least one dog being sold, what else can you tell us about the strength of the opposition?

The opposition was nowhere to be seen. The lack of data and and no weighing every 28 days was enough to rout them. I can plainly state that I witnessed 4 pups being sold. Mike fed the cult members before, during and after the sale. The mood of the rebels was triumphant. The cattle looked great. And so did Bootheel with a tasteful ensemble of Hat, bandanna and vest. My brother kept calling it a scarf, but it was definetly a bandanna.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale   Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 6 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale
Page 6 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next