Keeney`s Corner
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale

Go down 
+20
Hilly
Grassfarmer
Mark Day
PatB
OAK LANE FARM
Mean Spirit
Roy
shilow angus
SOWBOY
df
EddieM
Tom D
robert
tc
Double B
rross
Bob H
chocolate cow
larkota
MKeeney
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
AuthorMessage
PatB

Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale   Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2011 6:36 pm

Charles wrote:
That calf is too big to still be sucking a cow...........Wean him and send him to Choclate Cow's Kansas feedyard. See if he will grow........... Very Happy

Chocolate cow would be better off using him as a herd sire Very Happy
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale   Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2011 8:00 pm

patb wrote:
Charles wrote:
That calf is too big to still be sucking a cow...........Wean him and send him to Choclate Cow's Kansas feedyard. See if he will grow........... Very Happy

Chocolate cow would be better off using him as a herd sire Very Happy
I`m not so sure...he tends to verify what Scott says...his bottom of the percentile barrell yearling epd`s seem to produe more lbs on grass than higher growth epds have produced for me...because his "type" is right for grass I believe...
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale   Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 21, 2011 8:54 am

MKeeney wrote:
Charles wrote:
I`m waiting for df to tell me if KA No Data 63-31-1 is the result of heterosis or straightbred genetic complimentarity and what his percentage of commercial ROI would be????

Now Mike, you know that you can't tell anything about that calf that is pertinent because there is NO DATA!
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale   Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 21, 2011 10:48 am

Since I`ve been advised to learn from Kit by none other than the KNOW-IT-ALL man himself JimL, I thought I had better post this Pharo like testimonial...and primarily, I wanted df to know that I sold a bull to an institution of higher learning; a fine one indeed, where every student works at least 12 hours or more a week paying their tutition etc...I hope to engage some of these fine young people I met when I delivered this bull into my fall gathering ....

Mike,

This little guy is a sweetheart! The students have named him Roscoe. They took the honor of naming him very seriously and feel he is a part of their personal legacy! (I tried to keep a straight face as I watched them be so serious!) Our older bulls have seen him but haven't caused any grief. I think he will fit in with them after breeding just fine.

Thank you for your interest and taking good care of us!
Kindly,
Jamie

Jamie Rowse
Assistant Farm Manager
Berea College
Department of Agriculture and Natural Resources
CPO 2161
Berea, KY 40404
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale   Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 28, 2013 6:06 pm

MKeeney wrote:
use specification further explained...contented cows for contented people;... if you can`t be content with what your eye and common sense tells you when looking at the big picture, then we probably aren`t your place to shop ...in the little picture; the dam of last year`s top seller calved first this year...happenstance I`m sure; pleasing nonetheless...a full brother sells this year , full brother just born...
Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 10 552calf-2-1

Sons of Shoshone Fenley 6309 comprise much of the Model A offering...
this picture is/ WAS Laughing Laughing for Dennis Smile

Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 10 6309a

when he quits playing and starts posing

Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 10 6309

it`s so amusing to have Fenley collected...the staff is so delighted to have a bull they can get to jump, and produce semen instead of those fat SOB`s standing in the pens; in fact, he jumped the steer, humped the AV, they tried pushing him down; he wouldn`t get off, starting thrusting again, so technican thinks "why not"?..slips him into the Av, and we get another thrust; a "finish the job" kinda thing Smile ...91% live, 80% motility; hadn`t bred a cow since JAN..
...I can`t tell all the story here; but this friggin` registered business is such a mess; I don`t like it; and it`s indefensible...from the vets who pass unfit SALE-TOPPING bulls to the sale managers to the beauracracy to those who hire all of the afore mentioned; what a joke...

Fenley`s feet at 7 while he was nice and clean before going back in the mud...
Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 10 7af03544-86a9-4966-a93a-58596add42e3_zps3ed8f813

plenty of semen for sale; absolutely, without question, at any price, strictly to non- registered breeders...
Back to top Go down
Kent Powell

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale   Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 29, 2013 1:26 am

Back to top Go down
http://powellangus.com
Kent Powell

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale   Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 29, 2013 10:30 am

Back to top Go down
Tom D
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale   Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 29, 2013 12:14 pm

Kent, your Lorax reference really resonated with Keeney's Corner younger audience.

Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 10 7BA2F6B1-723B-48C6-B6F4-7EC3F0CBC86C-3877-00000675CB7CE108_zps95ae8335
Back to top Go down
Kent Powell

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale   Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 29, 2013 7:44 pm

Then my plan is working. It is the youngsters who have opportunity, especially in terms of creating lasting value.

Your young'uns are well behaved. Mine would be insisting I "make-it-bigger". You tube has to be full screen for their enjoyment.

Movie night around here usually results in me muttering about the Progressive, greenie, statist, anti American, if non-native-invasive straight white male Norwegian farmers didn't exist, the world would still be a nice place, or else the kids wake me up to tell me they can't hear over my snoring. This time the intro was so spot on for society and the "Plastics" of the seedstock industry, I enjoyed movie night for a change. I almost didn't miss March Madness. Rock Chalk WuShock.

Back to top Go down
Tom D
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale   Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 30, 2013 3:52 am

That greedy little son of a bitch in the movie, O'Hare, did he remind you of anybody? How big do you think he'd be in real life, about 5'4"?
Back to top Go down
larkota

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale   Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 11:03 am

MKeeney wrote:
MKeeney wrote:
use specification further explained...contented cows for contented people;... if you can`t be content with what your eye and common sense tells you when looking at the big picture, then we probably aren`t your place to shop  ...in the little picture; the dam of last year`s top seller calved first this year...happenstance I`m sure; pleasing nonetheless...a full brother sells this year , full brother just born...
Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 10 552calf-2-1

Sons of Shoshone Fenley 6309 comprise much of the Model A offering...
this picture is/ WAS  Laughing  Laughing for Dennis  Smile

Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 10 6309a

when he quits playing and starts posing

Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 10 6309

it`s so amusing to have Fenley collected...the staff is so delighted to have a bull they can get to jump, and produce semen instead of those fat SOB`s  standing in the pens; in fact, he jumped the steer, humped the AV, they tried pushing him down; he wouldn`t get off, starting thrusting again, so technican thinks "why not"?..slips him into the Av, and we get another thrust; a "finish the job" kinda thing  Smile ...91% live, 80% motility; hadn`t bred a cow since JAN..
 ...I can`t tell all the story here; but this friggin` registered business is such a mess; I don`t like it; and it`s indefensible...from the vets who pass unfit SALE-TOPPING bulls  to the sale managers to the beauracracy to those who hire all of the afore mentioned; what a joke...

Fenley`s feet at 7 while he was nice and clean before going back in the mud...
Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 10 7af03544-86a9-4966-a93a-58596add42e3_zps3ed8f813

plenty of semen for sale; absolutely, without question, at any price, strictly to non- registered breeders...

how's the old boy holding up MIKE??
plenty of granddaughters here... not for sale YET.  sure fun watching them become young mothers without welfare.

Larkota life is easy when you stop expecting something for nothing.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale   Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2013 12:15 pm

to quote one of our new Gathering participants; it`s all good Briann...Very Happy 

good is a relative word...Smile 
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale   Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 30, 2013 8:07 pm

started weaning...2 year olds today...no pedigree {ANCESTRY INSTEAD}, no performance, no epds...weighed a couple; enough to know the early born, keeper bulls will weigh 550-600 actual...good enough...
Back to top Go down
LCP

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale   Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 30, 2013 11:24 pm

MKeeney wrote:
started weaning...2 year olds today...no pedigree {ANCESTRY INSTEAD}, no performance, no epds...weighed a couple; enough to know the early born, keeper bulls will weigh 550-600 actual...good enough...
Sounds like my day. Hoping the 50 mph breeze tonight doesn't thwart my first attempt at fenceline weaning. 3 hot wires separating the calves and cows. Old cows tomorrow, but guardrail will separate them.

You weighed a couple, huh? Overachiever. Smile
Back to top Go down
Grassfarmer

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale   Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2013 12:08 am

Luke, fence line weaning is like the electric fencing itself - more psychological that physical. I've done it single wire - sometimes double, either way it holds most. The one or two that go over will go regardless. Don't fret them just wean them when the rest of the cows are ready to move away.
Back to top Go down
http://www.luingcattle.com
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale   Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2013 6:36 am

We fence line weaned before it was originated by Al Gore...or was it Pharo?? I get the two confused...we get a few over motherly cows that stand so the calf can reach his head through the 5 strand barb and nurse...so most weaning pastures have one hot wire...have weaned behind one hot wire as Grassy mentions; handier arrangement now with some on top of ground water lines...wonder how that would work in Canada? good for about 2 months? Very Happy 
weaning a little early because the flies are the worse I ever saw; yeah, we pour...I looked at Dunkum`s calves Sunday...three herd bull prospects there by the son of Hilly`s Shoshone flush cow; hardly a fly to be noticed; Joe has used a fly mineral of some sort; damn expensive, but after 60 days this year, our fly tags were useless...
the cow`s manure is about as loose as first spring grass; the ole cool season fescue and orchard grass is kicking in gear...need rain; we always need rain...you can`t get to 60 inches/yr with these two week dry spells Smile 
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale   Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2013 6:53 am

Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 10 Fishl_zps0a4053f8

We do plan to get done early...Linda D can catch`em with the best now; and Joe D can cook`em with the best...Walleye dinner includes Chipolte cole slaw, buttermilk corn bread, green beans, and late harvest Reisling finished off with cherry cobbler and ice cream...
MK, trying to convince Rod to come sit a spell in KY Smile
Back to top Go down
rross

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale   Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2013 12:47 pm

I was asked the other day, if I wanted to go down to San Diego and watch the "Giants" play??
I told her "no that I was going to try and head to Kentucky mid November". I have some cows out on shares that I need to work and assess the deal between Nov. 1st and the 10th. Depending on what happens there, will determine how quickly I can get away.

Pre-conditioned calves and preg. tested one bunch of cows yesterday. Three real nice bull calves out of some good cows. Preg. testing the yearling hfrs. tomorrow, so will see how the Keeney/Larson bulls did?
Back to top Go down
larkota

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale   Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2013 1:40 pm

did Rod really say Keeney/Larson bulls?? Shocked 
Mike will get blamed for opens and I'll take credit for the breds. Laughing 
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale   Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2013 10:38 pm

rross wrote:
I was asked the other day, if I wanted to go down to San Diego and watch the "Giants" play??
I told her "no that I was going to try and head to Kentucky mid November". I have some cows out on shares that I need to work and assess the deal between Nov. 1st and the 10th. Depending on what happens there, will determine how quickly I can get away.

Pre-conditioned calves and preg. tested one bunch of cows yesterday. Three real nice bull calves out of some good cows. Preg. testing the yearling hfrs. tomorrow, so will see how the Keeney/Larson bulls did?
Rod, I ate the fish tonight; have a headache and picture to prove it...

Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 10 Walleye_zps75eb99af

the fish is all gone; the dessert is blackberry cobbler and ice cream...Joe D can multi cook....the new faces in the center are a couple of friends that we are initiating to the concept that retired life ain`t so bad ...Smile
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale   Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2013 7:17 am

Just so the critics know; all the spring bred sale heifers are sold...15 of the 70 fall bred heifers we will breed in Dec are sold for April 30, 2014 delivery...are we getting rich? no...are we making a profitable return ? yes...
no reverse Robin Hood program here...robbing the poor to over pay some paper-shuffling bureaucrat...

KA, the pedigree is in the name and the guarantee is in the price...
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale   Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 10 I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 05, 2013 9:35 pm

the only thing more fun than breeding the problems out of high performance cattle

Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 10 008_zps8e20b2f9

Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 10 009_zps56dcc536

Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 10 010_zps2d7da8e4

Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 10 011_zps57d4aa0d

Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 10 012_zps9d4f5ad3

is watching the kids of hard working, devoted parents grow up on the "family farm"...

Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 10 Jrj_zps8b865492
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale   Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale - Page 10 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Keeney Angus-Business as Usual Sale
Page 10 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10