Keeney`s Corner
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Disagreements With the Angus Association and Papered Cattle

Go down 
+7
Gus
EddieM
Kent Powell
MKeeney
larkota
Tom D
Mark Day
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Tom D
Admin

Disagreements With the Angus Association and Papered Cattle - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Disagreements With the Angus Association and Papered Cattle   Disagreements With the Angus Association and Papered Cattle - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 27, 2011 9:01 pm

This is a video of me, 25 years from now, along with my son, marketing the Tru-line system.

https://youtu.be/4CM57iJgZuw
Back to top Go down
Grassfarmer

PostSubject: Re: Disagreements With the Angus Association and Papered Cattle   Disagreements With the Angus Association and Papered Cattle - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 27, 2011 10:11 pm

chocolate cow wrote:
Better think that statement over.

CANBERRA, Australia—Restaurants around the world will soon use new DNA technology to assure patrons they are being served the genuine fish fillet or caviar they ordered, rather than inferior substitutes, an expert in genetic identification says.

In October, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration officially approved so-called DNA barcoding -- a standardized fingerprint that can identify a species like a supermarket scanner reads a barcode -- to prevent the mislabeling of both locally produced and imported seafood in the United States. Other national regulators around the world are also considering adopting DNA barcoding as a fast, reliable and cost-effective tool for identifying organic matter.

David Schindel, a Smithsonian Institution paleontologist and executive secretary of the Washington-based Consortium for the Barcode of Life, said he has started discussions with the restaurant industry and seafood suppliers about utilizing the technology as a means of certifying the authenticity of delicacies.

"When they sell something that's really expensive, they want the consumer to believe that they're getting what they're paying for," Schindel told The Associated Press.

"We're going to start seeing a self-regulating movement by the high-end trade embracing barcoding as a mark of quality," he said.

While it would never be economically viable to DNA test every fish, it would be possible to test a sample of several fish from a trawler load, he said.

Schindel is organizer of the biennial International Barcode of Life Conference, which is being held Monday in the southern Australian city of Adelaide. The fourth in the conference series brings together 450 experts in the field to discuss new and increasingly diverse applications for the science.

Applications range from discovering what Australia's herd of 1 million feral camels feeds on in the Outback to uncovering fraud in Malaysia's herbal drug industry.

Schindel leads a consortium of scientists from almost 50 nations in overseeing the compilation of a global reference library for the Earth's 1.8 million known species.

The Barcode of Life Database so far includes more than 167,000 species.

Mislabeling is widespread in the seafood industry and usually involves cheaper types of fish being sold as more expensive varieties. A pair of New York high school students using DNA barcoding of food stocked in their own kitchens found in a 2009 study that caviar labeled as sturgeon was actually Mississippi paddlefish.

In a published study a year earlier, another pair of students from the high school found that one-fourth of fish samples they had collected around New York were incorrectly labeled as higher-priced fish.

Mislabeling of fish -- which account for almost half the world's vertebrate species -- also poses risks to human health and the environment.

They did that in Scotland almost a decade ago - NFU Scotland members undertook a covert operation to DNA test some branded "Scotch Aberdeen Angus" beef off a Tesco supermarket shelf. Some of it tested "Bos Indicus" which proved the suspicion that they were passing off Brazilian imported beef as Scottish.
Back to top Go down
http://www.luingcattle.com

PostSubject: Re: Disagreements With the Angus Association and Papered Cattle   Disagreements With the Angus Association and Papered Cattle - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 27, 2011 11:15 pm

They wouldn't do that? would they?
Back to top Go down
Grassfarmer

PostSubject: Re: Disagreements With the Angus Association and Papered Cattle   Disagreements With the Angus Association and Papered Cattle - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 28, 2011 12:05 am

W.T wrote:
They wouldn't do that? would they?

More surprising to me was that the product apparently wasn't different enough to arouse suspicion with consumers. I guess that challenges some perceptions of what "good" beef tastes like, how good modern Scottish beef is, what, if anything, "Angus" tastes like and whether the much derided "old, poorly raised South American cattle" is really as bad as it's cracked up to be?
Some of the best beef I've ever tasted was in South Africa and it was said to be cow beef imported from Botswana but that's another story.......
Back to top Go down
http://www.luingcattle.com
robert

PostSubject: Re: Disagreements With the Angus Association and Papered Cattle   Disagreements With the Angus Association and Papered Cattle - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 28, 2011 6:36 am

two big problems with Scotch beef, a) it's mostly french - charolais/Limousin with a shot of flemish and swiss for good measure and b) the grading system pays no attention to quality, only yield. The modern 'UK' angus is not helping matters when they look like (maybe even are?) Limmies..... It's a sad old state of affairs for sure.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Disagreements With the Angus Association and Papered Cattle   Disagreements With the Angus Association and Papered Cattle - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Disagreements With the Angus Association and Papered Cattle
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2