Keeney`s Corner
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Cattle consistency

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Oldtimer

Oldtimer

Cattle consistency Empty
PostSubject: Cattle consistency   Cattle consistency I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 2:44 pm

I stole a post my neighbor made over on the "Other Side" in a thread to see if it stirs any comments over here....

Quote :
My oldest son is a Freshman in College. He shared a resent paper he wrote for his Animal Science Class in regard to Heterosis.
I enjoy reading them and at times actually think he is learning something. I try to not share my critisim of the Professors with him but this one takes the cake.
In his paper he discussed using Angus Genetics on an predominately Angus Cow herd, to maintain consistency.
The Profs Comments. "There is already to much consistency that is the problem"

I think the prof needs a feild trip to the local sale barn. or even better to the nearest packing plant.

http://www.advantagecattle.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5812&#76077
Back to top Go down

Cattle consistency Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cattle consistency   Cattle consistency I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 4:10 pm

One of these All- Academic boys from the Bozezone gave us a little speech here in Wheatland Co. a year or so ago that their wasn't a future in yearling cattle, then asked how many of us ran yearlings, the whole audience raised their hands. He was shocked!
Back to top Go down
PatB

Cattle consistency Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cattle consistency   Cattle consistency I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 5:01 pm

I figure if academia is preaching onething, one needs to look at the opposite to she how much proffit potential is there.
Back to top Go down
Angus 62

Cattle consistency Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cattle consistency   Cattle consistency I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 11:25 pm

I caught hell over there for suggesting academics were clueless. Heterosis has value. But it is somewhat of an abstract theory, much like saying every black kid with a basketball is headed for the NBA. Breeding your too big too much milk Angus cows to a Continental or crossbred bull that has as much or more growth and milk might create heterosis but won't help maternal function in the long run.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

Cattle consistency Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cattle consistency   Cattle consistency I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 09, 2011 1:57 am

Angus 62 wrote:
I caught hell over there for suggesting academics were clueless. Heterosis has value. But it is somewhat of an abstract theory, much like saying every black kid with a basketball is headed for the NBA. Breeding your too big too much milk Angus cows to a Continental or crossbred bull that has as much or more growth and milk might create heterosis but won't help maternal function in the long run.

the long run? someone considers the long run? Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
Sponsored content

Cattle consistency Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cattle consistency   Cattle consistency I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cattle consistency
Page 1 of 1