Keeney`s Corner
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Bovine Switches

Go down 
+14
JFisher
Grassfarmer
Oldtimer
Dylan Biggs
Mean Spirit
PatB
G nome
mikejd4020
Mark Day
jonken
MKeeney
EddieM
Kent Powell
Tom D
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Kent Powell

Bovine Switches - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bovine Switches   Bovine Switches - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 8:51 pm

Bovine Switches - Page 3 08-26-2011-video00314
+1
dry- Powell G699 Princess 537 daughter of 338 Emulous cow above
Back to top Go down
http://powellangus.com
G nome

PostSubject: Re: Bovine Switches   Bovine Switches - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 8:55 pm

Study of switches gives us a rare opportunity to see phenotypes expressed by virtue of strong environmental effects or genetic predominance. Might be a bit confusing at times.... Suspect
Back to top Go down
Kent Powell

PostSubject: Re: Bovine Switches   Bovine Switches - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 8:57 pm

Bovine Switches - Page 3 Fortunehuntersdam
+14
Powell 100 Princess 657 K - Gardens Fortune 100 x K M Rito 2470 x Thomas Elevation x C R R Emulous Pacesetter x C R R Emulous 26 17

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bovine Switches   Bovine Switches - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 8:59 pm

Keystone wrote:
MKeeney wrote:
what was that movie that had a mad scientist on that island with all the weird animals? maybe wasn`t mad after all; just having a string of mutations Smile
Kent, back to bull switches...post some cow pics of the lineage nursing when you can; I`m looking for a switch/milk relationship Smile or just the level of milk would be fine Smile

Bovine Switches - Page 3 6-19-03028
+11 Powell Queen 538 - N Bar Emulation EXT x K M Sky Lad 125 x QLC Target x Thomas Chaps x Ronan Bandolier Eston 73Z

Bovine Switches - Page 3 6-19-03018
+9 Powell Flamette 360 K- D H D Traveler 6807 x Q A S Traveler 23-4 x Molitor Chester 44 x Craft Lucky Strike x Flam of Wye

These two were the "type'' difference I had been envisioning in my ''beefiness or dairy type'' statement. I have no knowledge of tails or patterns of other breeds, and it may all be crap anyhow. It seems to follow here. Sniffy doesn't have much of a tail either. One big framed, latur maturing, less beefy type bull here has a big ol' bushy tail. Nothing else does. So there.

Bootheel, hypothesising
Back to top Go down
jonken

PostSubject: Re: Bovine Switches   Bovine Switches - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 9:20 pm

Dennis Voss wrote:
Bovine Switches - Page 3 Beetseed_35

Keystone,
Great pictures, thanks for posting them. I'm going to get one of those Keystone bulls up here some day for specialty breeding. This is a picture of Beetseed. In my opinion no finer example of an Angus bull's tail. I notice also a lot of my Leonhardt influenced bulls like to throw their tail clear up on top of their back and park it there for a while. For those that dismiss this topic, I think time will prove there's an issue here well worth digging into. All the parts of these animals we breed have to fit together in harmony. I know there is a reason, but why do they actually shave off the switches on these show animals? What is the logic? Oh yeah, I forgot, rattails are in now. That muskrat animal that Bootheel posted looks a lot like a mainstream Angus bull. Why is it that Mother Nature is never enough for humans? Oh yeah, that's all I do here, screw with Mother nature.

DV in the vicinity of shopping at the Beak Store.

No Dismissing the topic here DV . Harmony in all species makes sense . Including filthy swine . What was Bonsma's take regarding tails ? Jon
Back to top Go down
Kent Powell

PostSubject: Re: Bovine Switches   Bovine Switches - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 11:53 pm

MKeeney wrote:
As cows here get older, and calving on a little tad of greener grass this March, I see cows I wish had less milk...your linebred Emulous cows milk level interest me most ...minus 2 in that cow looks like plenty...

I think that the greener and more lush our grass is at time of calving, the lower the milk level necessary for udder longevity. When we calved on dormant grass, the higher milking cows were not a problem. On green grass, some were just horribly blown up at calving. They broke down earlier than before.

Back to top Go down
Oldtimer

Oldtimer

PostSubject: Re: Bovine Switches   Bovine Switches - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2012 12:59 pm

Bovine Switches - Page 3 100_0251-1

My first calf of the years momma wouldn't fit very well in your switch battle-- but her no tail/no ears makes her a survivor to me....

And it must not have affected her fertility any as last year she calved 3 days before I was supposed to start- and this year she was 10 days early.... Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bovine Switches   Bovine Switches - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2012 1:51 pm

Had a really well bred bull calf last year, good looking also the neighbor wanted to buy him he lost his tail to a coyote when he was a day or two old I steered him. If he was stupid enough to lose his tail he don't deserve his nuts.
Back to top Go down
Grassfarmer

PostSubject: Re: Bovine Switches   Bovine Switches - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2012 3:41 pm

Don't know what to think on this topic and how it relates to my cattle population my "best" bulls appear to have the "worst" tails and visa versa. It seems to fit better on the female side here where generally "better" cows have "better tails"
Cow tails
Bovine Switches - Page 3 DSCF1404
Heifer tails
Bovine Switches - Page 3 DSCF1407
End of the tale
Bovine Switches - Page 3 DSCF1408
Back to top Go down
http://www.luingcattle.com

PostSubject: Re: Bovine Switches   Bovine Switches - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2012 4:10 pm

Oldtimer wrote:

My first calf of the years momma wouldn't fit very well in your switch battle-- but her no tail/no ears makes her a survivor to me....

And it must not have affected her fertility any as last year she calved 3 days before I was supposed to start- and this year she was 10 days early.... Wink

Do you ever pull your head out of your butt long enough to actually read and comprehend a topic being discussed? Apparently not, as your case presented has no relevance to anything said here.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bovine Switches   Bovine Switches - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2012 5:32 pm

Windows For Sale .............Installation required..... Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
Oldtimer

Oldtimer

PostSubject: Re: Bovine Switches   Bovine Switches - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2012 7:47 pm

Bootheel wrote:
Oldtimer wrote:

Do you ever pull your head out of your butt long enough to actually read and comprehend a topic being discussed? Apparently not, as your case presented has no relevance to anything said here.

And I didn't expect you to understand "survivor cows" either-- but some folks do.....I kind of like the girls that show they have had the will to live - especially those that then add to it by being the first to breed back year after year....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bovine Switches   Bovine Switches - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2012 8:41 pm

[quote="Oldtimer"]Interesting and comical in ways to hear everyone argue breeds...Everyone must have too much free time on their hands because on another cattle site they are even discussing length and fullness of tails and tail switch's- with the idea the longer fuller tails are better cattle..

My first calf of the years momma wouldn't fit into those tail standards- but with her no ears/no tail to me she shows she is a survivor...

And it apparently didn't negatively affect her fertility any as last year she calved 3 days before I was supposed to start- and this year she was 10 days early....68 lb heifer calf out of Lazy Bar B Leinie surprised us yesterday morning....

color=red]I understand Jackass pretty well
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bovine Switches   Bovine Switches - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2012 8:47 pm

Joe: What OT is trying to tell you is that it was very cold when she was born. He is completely on his topic.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bovine Switches   Bovine Switches - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2012 11:16 pm

Gregory Walker wrote:
Joe: What OT is trying to tell you is that it was very cold when she was born. He is completely on his topic.

Joe your are spot on on this topic. As i read this I lost sympathy for the answer.

[quote="Oldtimer"]Interesting
and comical in ways to hear everyone argue breeds...Everyone must have
too much free time on their hands because on another cattle site they
are even discussing length and fullness of tails and tail switch's- with
the idea the longer fuller tails are better cattle... scratch scratch scratch So Joe to get better cattle we need to freeze the ears and tails off. This may become quite confusing as we will no longer be able to tell good tail from medium tail or bad tail. And in the end we will just have Tail. jocolor jocolor
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bovine Switches   Bovine Switches - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 10, 2012 9:01 am

[quote="W.T"]
Gregory Walker wrote:

Joe your are spot on on this topic. As i read this I lost sympathy for the answer.

Oldtimer wrote:
Interesting
the idea the longer fuller tails are better cattle... scratch scratch scratch So Joe to get better cattle we need to freeze the ears and tails off. This may become quite confusing as we will no longer be able to tell good tail from medium tail or bad tail. And in the end we will just have Tail. jocolor jocolor

It reminds me of the crap that Mike had to deal with the other day from some 'sawyer WT. Just little, small, gossipy stuff WT, that I find repulsive in a man. Whether or not tails matter, I don't know. Character of a man does though. The author of this thread is the most Reflective and Futuristic Character I have met. To write off the topic in condescending-self dilusion, in the afforementioned matter, is vomit enducing, luke warm repulsion.

Back to top Go down
Kent Powell

PostSubject: Re: Bovine Switches   Bovine Switches - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 10, 2012 9:16 am

I remember why I dumped and deleted Linebreeders group. The insistance of one or two trouble makers to piss in the water of ideas with the same old petty crap as the rest of the world pollutes the whole purpose.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bovine Switches   Bovine Switches - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 10, 2012 9:34 am

Dennis Voss wrote:
I just got off the phone with my brother Galen who's been doing some research on bull tails and cow tails through just observing the differences in the switches and overall tail structure. Since he probably sees more cattle per week than anyone I know, I think he's really on to something. There is a huge difference in the vitality in bovine tails. A lot of mainstream Angus right now have exceedingly high tailheads that go down to a really small, flimsy, fine haired switch. The cattle I'm breeding around here which are primarily Shoshone origin blood, have excellent switches which is to my brother and I a real positive. When a bull swings his tail around he wants it to swing way up over his back. He wants it to have some impact. I'm thinking that in addition to all the other things the mainstream crowd is screwing up, they're screwing up the tails on these cattle whether they know it or not.

DV in the vicinity of trying to get W.T to respond

Dennis to get back to the Idea of tails. as a boy we had a dairy and i can remember getting a piece of rope and tieing the tail to the rafter so the cow didn't hit you with the switch. One day when I was about 9 I had a bright idea and pulled out my pocket knife and started to cut the switches off so i didn't get hit with them. And now there was no need to tie them up any longer. When my dad found out the beating I got reinforced the importance of GOOD tail on a cow. That was put there to swat fly's you dumb ass was his response, and now you can get your ass out here 3 times a day and spray the cows with that fly spray so they will still give some milk. My dad left a impression on me that was never forgot the switch is no doubt very important as to the natural ability of the cow to control the fly's that attack them, this in it's self reduces stress and enhances the indoctrine system and promotes overall herd health. This weekend i am going to get with KP and explore the possibility of breeding cattle with double tails. This could be revolutionary to fly control in the Angus breed, this may evolve into frost free tails as well, this could be quite popular in the north. Maybe we can get you and Jack to work on the ears. cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Tom D
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Bovine Switches   Bovine Switches - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 10, 2012 9:38 am

W.T. - remind me sometime to tell you about the midget with the speech impediment that wanted to buy a horse.

TD
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bovine Switches   Bovine Switches - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 10, 2012 9:50 am

Tom D wrote:
W.T. - remind me sometime to tell you about the midget with the speech impediment that wanted to buy a horse.

TD

Doe's he get his eye put out or break his arm???? If so I heard that story from someone in IOWA..
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: Bovine Switches   Bovine Switches - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 10, 2012 10:15 am

W.T., Two points.

Didn't you say that you bought this site? If it was not you let's pretend that it was so that I can rant on with mindless chatter: I do not believe that you bought it now because other people reply to your posts and when the stray one does he sometimes agree with you.

And now for the rub: I am still investigating the bovine switch on 4.9 and on DisAdvantaged and here you go and throw me a curve ball and get the cows from around the nucleur power plants and start up the tail of two tails. First it was 110, now 220. Then it was put the cow in the freezer until you have no choice but to brand them since they have no ears to tag or any switch to turn them on or off. Next thing it will be a weather report and an Angus that almost was an Angus but that's OK because it costs more in the store because USDA said so. I hope I got all of this stuff in for clarity sake. Carry on.

Eddie, getting it all in in one post
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bovine Switches   Bovine Switches - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 10, 2012 12:57 pm

[quote="EddieM"]W.T., Two points.

Didn't you say that you bought this site? If it was not you let's pretend that it was so that I can rant on with mindless chatter: I do not believe that you bought it now because other people reply to your posts and when the stray one does he sometimes agree with you.

And now for the rub: I am still investigating the bovine switch on 4.9 and on DisAdvantaged and here you go and throw me a curve ball and get the cows from around the nucleur power plants and start up the tail of two tails. First it was 110, now 220. Then it was put the cow in the freezer until you have no choice but to brand them since they have no ears to tag or any switch to turn them on or off. Next thing it will be a weather report and an Angus that almost was an Angus but that's OK because it costs more in the store because USDA said so. I hope I got all of this stuff in for clarity sake. Carry on.

Eddie, getting it all in in one post[qoute

Eddie i did try to buy this site i was in negotiations when I asked the owner if it was a registered site and he hung up on me, I called him back and i said i did not like your tone and he hung up again. Then i called one more time and suggested that, maybe this site did not need to be registurd and he didn't hang up, we were negotiating and then i relized he was what made this site. what it is with total disregard to sensor ship. The shear brilliance displayed on here cannot be contained by mere mortals, that have become tone deaf. Then there is the pure artistic dispalys posted by indivuals that are sensored else where. So I guess you are stuck with my smart ass posting on here with no controls. cheers cheers cheers cheers :cheers:And once again I am reminded of the other sites and monty python in his quest for the holy grail. Is it the Grail they seek or the Quest???? I can see them now riding their imaginary horses clacking the coconut shells together as they seek their next quest. king king king
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Bovine Switches   Bovine Switches - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 10, 2012 1:54 pm

Quote :
Interesting
the idea the longer fuller tails are better cattle

About as stupid as the below...

Quote :
cows wide as a truck

and about the same amount of milk as anything but a milk truck, and a truck would be more fertile...
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
Kent Powell

PostSubject: Re: Bovine Switches   Bovine Switches - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2012 2:48 pm

What did Bonsma say about sexing unborn calves by the cows tailswitch?
Back to top Go down
G nome

PostSubject: Re: Bovine Switches   Bovine Switches - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 13, 2012 12:32 pm

Keystone, if you know the answer to the Bonsma question I would like to hear it. I am unaware of comments along these lines. Jan Bonsma certainly used phenotype observations most of us would routinely miss.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bovine Switches   Bovine Switches - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bovine Switches
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next