Keeney`s Corner
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Bovine Switches

Go down 
+14
JFisher
Grassfarmer
Oldtimer
Dylan Biggs
Mean Spirit
PatB
G nome
mikejd4020
Mark Day
jonken
MKeeney
EddieM
Kent Powell
Tom D
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage

Bovine Switches - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bovine Switches   Bovine Switches - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2012 10:26 am

Out here they have tail stores everywhere and they are called ranch houses or something of the sort. Cool Cool
Back to top Go down
G nome

PostSubject: Re: Bovine Switches   Bovine Switches - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2012 11:45 pm

Didn't know if this topic was for rat-tailed Charolais crosses or for bovine gene swithces. Some discount both. Shocked
Back to top Go down
PatB

PostSubject: Re: Bovine Switches   Bovine Switches - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 6:59 am

Karahonee (sp) turkish tail store Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bovine Switches   Bovine Switches - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 9:06 am

Bovine Switches - Page 2 Polledandblk
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: Bovine Switches   Bovine Switches - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 10:05 am

Dennis, the feet look too good but it does not matter for CAB: the generic almost pure close to a breed as long as it is the right size and grades properly.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bovine Switches   Bovine Switches - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 12:21 pm

I've got a Porterhouse, Ribeye, Sirloin, and a Chuck Steak on the grill. They are Certified Home Grown and Good. I'll probably only eat two of them today, so if anyone can make it here in the next 14 minutes, you are welcome to some.

Bootheel, eating like a king in my doublewide before it draws in a Hurricanader
Back to top Go down
G nome

PostSubject: Re: Bovine Switches   Bovine Switches - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 12:48 pm

This topic is one that tweeks my interest in gene combinations. I mentioned the rat-tailed Charolais crosses because they are rumored to not grow and perform with their normal tailed contemporaries and often sell at discounts in sale barns here. Is it one of those combinations that are found in later generations that are the other side of the bell curve that offset hybrid vigor because of undesirable combinations? Interesting that others would notice switch size, other than those that have been removed for show or when cattle pile up to fight flies and a calf gets his stepped on.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Bovine Switches   Bovine Switches - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 8:49 pm

G nome wrote:
This topic is one that tweeks my interest in gene combinations. I mentioned the rat-tailed Charolais crosses because they are rumored to not grow and perform with their normal tailed contemporaries and often sell at discounts in sale barns here. Is it one of those combinations that are found in later generations that are the other side of the bell curve that offset hybrid vigor because of undesirable combinations? Interesting that others would notice switch size, other than those that have been removed for show or when cattle pile up to fight flies and a calf gets his stepped on.

way off the thread track here; but I need to ask G nome this question, foolish as it seems, wherever I find him...called about semen collection on a couple of young bulls, was describing my semen wishes on his phone recorder, when I remembered the two were idenical twins from an embryo split after implant...so E G, in this epigenic/ genomic world that Mendel never knew, could there be any reason to collect semen on both?
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com

PostSubject: Re: Bovine Switches   Bovine Switches - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 10:56 am

Keystone wrote:
After looking through the old pictures, it looks like- on average, Wye, Rito, Traveler,In Focus and New Design cattle tend toward shorter tail/switch.

I don't know Kent, after looking through the Leonhardt book of Formation, it appeared that a good portion of the Wye stuff had big bushy tails. Exceptions applied, such as Fabron, Conan. Maybe it is tied to beefiness, or dairyness. It seemed or seems the more beef type in nature have shorter tails and switches.

In a whirlwind of tail evaluation this week I have come to the conclusion that I must accept that my cattle, on average, will have shorter tails. I guess I could sell them all and start over with long tails, but I won't. It is still interesting to me though, and I reserve the right to change my mind at any time I see fit.

Back to top Go down
G nome

PostSubject: Re: Bovine Switches   Bovine Switches - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 12:05 pm

Mike, You certainly ask tough questions. In order to do so, you probably know as much as I. Mutations do occur and some of them are activated to show differences. We know for instance that chimeras do exist, that these mosaic patterns could be spllit into separated portions of the original embryo. There is at least one point source mutation identified in a major sire known--that is he has a defective DNA pattern not found in either parent. It is possible that this appears in only a part of his body, possibly only in one testicle, not the other. I considered it necessary to analyze data with that particular sire excluded in the inheritance studies of the defect that originated with him. His offspring are far less likelly to have the chimeral form. To illustrate how this could work, consider birth marks that are visable on humans or in cattle. These patterns could exist in reproductive cells as well.
Murphy's law applies. And of course, the opposite situation to your question is found when two embryos fuse to make a chimeral animal. This has been described in quarter horses with brindle coloration (how many have seen such a rare occurence?). Upon further study, they found that the light color pattern was a even a different sex than the dark colored cells in one such stallion which appeared normal in every other way and was standing at stud. The AQHA Journal had a series of articles on it.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Bovine Switches   Bovine Switches - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 12:39 pm

fascinating possibilities...no EG, I know none of this stuff...my only merit is simply not being afraid to appear foolish..thx
Back to top Go down
Mark Day

PostSubject: Re: Bovine Switches   Bovine Switches - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 1:48 pm

Mike, I have to wonder do the bulls look different enough that you forgot they were identical twins from an embryo split? and how in the world will you decide how to use the semen?
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Bovine Switches   Bovine Switches - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 1:50 pm

Mark Day wrote:
Mike, I have to wonder do the bulls look different enough that you forgot they were identical twins from an embryo split? and how in the world will you decide how to use the semen?
they look exactly alike...one is just as ordinary as is the other...just collecting to be collecting; both are going out together with heifers
Back to top Go down
G nome

PostSubject: Re: Bovine Switches   Bovine Switches - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 3:32 pm

Mike, It appears as though you have a built in insurance policy for continuation...beats cloning by about 1000%. I failed to mention that the study done on the brindle horses identified a mare that apparentlly had one ovary develop from the two different embryos merged in her development. Nature is really something.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Bovine Switches   Bovine Switches - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 6:27 pm

what was that movie that had a mad scientist on that island with all the weird animals? maybe wasn`t mad after all; just having a string of mutations Smile
Kent, back to bull switches...post some cow pics of the lineage nursing when you can; I`m looking for a switch/milk relationship Smile or just the level of milk would be fine Smile
Back to top Go down
Mark Day

PostSubject: Re: Bovine Switches   Bovine Switches - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 6:46 pm

2 of my milkiest cows may have the shortest switches. Cows are by Eros and Eclipse.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bovine Switches   Bovine Switches - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 7:00 pm

Mark Day wrote:
2 of my milkiest cows may have the shortest switches. Cows are by Eros and Eclipse.

But will it breed true?

Just a theory on observation of three days of studying tails and pictures and cows and correlations. Nothing scientific or absolute.
Back to top Go down
Mean Spirit

PostSubject: Re: Bovine Switches   Bovine Switches - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 7:23 pm

A Charolais tail:

Bovine Switches - Page 2 Babe2

That's a strong tail.
Back to top Go down
Tom D
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Bovine Switches   Bovine Switches - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 8:16 pm

MKeeney wrote:
what was that movie that had a mad scientist on that island with all the weird animals? maybe wasn`t mad after all; just having a string of mutations Smile
Kent, back to bull switches...post some cow pics of the lineage nursing when you can; I`m looking for a switch/milk relationship Smile or just the level of milk would be fine Smile

The Island of Dr. Moreau - weird ass movie.
Back to top Go down
Kent Powell

PostSubject: Re: Bovine Switches   Bovine Switches - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 8:23 pm

MKeeney wrote:

Bovine Switches - Page 2 6-19-03028
+11 Powell Queen 538 - N Bar Emulation EXT x K M Sky Lad 125 x QLC Target x Thomas Chaps x Ronan Bandolier Eston 73Z

Bovine Switches - Page 2 6-19-03018
+9 Powell Flamette 360 K- D H D Traveler 6807 x Q A S Traveler 23-4 x Molitor Chester 44 x Craft Lucky Strike x Flam of Wye

Last edited by Keystone on Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://powellangus.com
Kent Powell

PostSubject: Re: Bovine Switches   Bovine Switches - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 8:26 pm

Bovine Switches - Page 2 6-19-03562-357
+20 milk
Powell Blackbird 562 - Transformer 100 E A R x Piere x 054 x Highroller 7062 of R R 9268 x Bonanza of R R 5135
Back to top Go down
Dylan Biggs

PostSubject: Re: Bovine Switches   Bovine Switches - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 8:34 pm

Here I go again, I really like the "looks" of that cow! Smile
Back to top Go down
Kent Powell

PostSubject: Re: Bovine Switches   Bovine Switches - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 8:35 pm

Bovine Switches - Page 2 9-25-04cows056
-2 milk
Princess of Ada 338 - Emulous

Bovine Switches - Page 2 9-25-04cows001
+3 Milk
Powell Lassie 330- Hales Stacker 03 x QLC Target x Bon View Connection 1349 x Sayre Patriot x Emulous 507
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Bovine Switches   Bovine Switches - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 8:36 pm

As cows here get older, and calving on a little tad of greener grass this March, I see cows I wish had less milk...your linebred Emulous cows milk level interest me most ...minus 2 in that cow looks like plenty...
Back to top Go down
Kent Powell

PostSubject: Re: Bovine Switches   Bovine Switches - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 8:45 pm

Bovine Switches - Page 2 9-25-04cows009
+11
Powell 132 Bess 70 - Gardens Fortune 132 S1 x Gardens Fortune 100 x Scotch Cap x QLC Winchester x Thomas Chaps x Career of Wye

Bovine Switches - Page 2 5-26-06misc073

+19
Powell 1489 Maid 0289 - G A R Traveler 1489 x Hinksons Travelong x Powell Chaps Power 198 x Toms Emulous 2-8002 x Toms Emulous C R R x C R R Emulous 26 1
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bovine Switches   Bovine Switches - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bovine Switches
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next