Keeney`s Corner
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dunlouise Scottish "Pure" Cattle

Go down 
+11
Steve
R V
OAK LANE FARM
Mean Spirit
Tom D
whitecow
MKeeney
Oldtimer
PatB
EddieM
Grassfarmer
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Dunlouise Scottish "Pure" Cattle Empty
PostSubject: Dunlouise Scottish "Pure" Cattle   Dunlouise Scottish "Pure" Cattle I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 13, 2010 11:58 am

Has anyone seen any of these cattle or have an opinion on them? What type of cattle are they?

I stumbled across them by a link to genex and went to the Dunlouise website... The cows look to be around 5 frame, but very fat... Just wondering if anyone had seen progeny.
Back to top Go down
Grassfarmer

PostSubject: Re: Dunlouise Scottish "Pure" Cattle   Dunlouise Scottish "Pure" Cattle I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 14, 2010 12:03 am

Gregory Walker wrote:
Has anyone seen any of these cattle or have an opinion on them? What type of cattle are they?

I stumbled across them by a link to genex and went to the Dunlouise website... The cows look to be around 5 frame, but very fat... Just wondering if anyone had seen progeny.

You're not kidding about the cows looking fat! They look absolutely grotesque to me with lumps and bumps of fat all over the place. By the kind of place and system they seem to run on I don't think they will ever be short on goodies. What they would look like run under a tougher regime I have no idea.
Back to top Go down
http://www.luingcattle.com
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: Dunlouise Scottish "Pure" Cattle   Dunlouise Scottish "Pure" Cattle I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 14, 2010 9:02 am

Au Contraire. No-no-no, not FAT. "Easy fleshing"! study Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dunlouise Scottish "Pure" Cattle   Dunlouise Scottish "Pure" Cattle I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 14, 2010 9:37 am

If one was trying to add fat deposition to a genepool that was considered "too lean" or too "hard doing" for functional purposes, wouldn't some of the Dunlouise cattle traits be a consideration? Or are they actually high maintenance cattle that need that much cover to function as well as they are able?
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: Dunlouise Scottish "Pure" Cattle   Dunlouise Scottish "Pure" Cattle I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 14, 2010 10:04 am

Good cross on Holsteins?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dunlouise Scottish "Pure" Cattle   Dunlouise Scottish "Pure" Cattle I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 14, 2010 10:13 am

EddieM wrote:
Good cross on Holsteins?

Or possibly solid colored "range Jerseys" that have a tough time breeding back.

Maybe they are really good cattle that are just carrying more condition than most here are used to seeing. Does anyone have calves sired by any of the Dunlouise bulls that could tell us what kind of calves they sire?
Back to top Go down
PatB

PostSubject: Re: Dunlouise Scottish "Pure" Cattle   Dunlouise Scottish "Pure" Cattle I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 14, 2010 1:51 pm

Rumor has it they may be a good match for pharo type cattle.
Back to top Go down
Grassfarmer

PostSubject: Re: Dunlouise Scottish "Pure" Cattle   Dunlouise Scottish "Pure" Cattle I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 14, 2010 2:32 pm

patb wrote:
Rumor has it they may be a good match for pharo type cattle.

I don't know about that - these do not appear to be small or slow growing cattle. If you read the sire references on the website they claim to be "performance" types and one was the "heaviest bull ever sold at Perth". It sounds like much of the North American Angus promotion - leaders in growth, muscling and mature weight yet retaining the characteristics of the breed 50 or 100 years ago (easy calving, maternal, low feed requirements)
If it sounds too good to be true it probably is............
Back to top Go down
http://www.luingcattle.com
Oldtimer

Oldtimer

PostSubject: Re: Dunlouise Scottish "Pure" Cattle   Dunlouise Scottish "Pure" Cattle I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 14, 2010 7:25 pm

Here you guys go if you are looking for a change of pace:

http://www.agmailusa.com/yamamoto1010/

I watched an angus female sale out of Billings on DV Auctions this afternoon...Sold an $18,000 cow and several $10,000 ones.... I got looking thru their catalog- and their wasn't an animal one there who had a sire or a dam that they had raised on the ranch Shocked ( I noticed Roger Jacobs didn't make any comments about long time herd qualities or anything like that-- just that they were top genetics..)

Then with about 20 lots still listed to sell- they abrubtly ended the sale and said they were selling no more cattle... Question Maybe they thought their calves were worth more than the $1000-1200 they started selling for...
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Dunlouise Scottish "Pure" Cattle   Dunlouise Scottish "Pure" Cattle I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 14, 2010 7:50 pm

Oldtimer wrote:

good to see a breed that isn`t trying to be Angus..oh wait, that`s right...Angus are trying to be Wagyu Smile
Wagyu another breed where the purebred probably goes too far to be useful in commercial production..but as part of a composite? presto Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
whitecow

PostSubject: Re: Dunlouise Scottish "Pure" Cattle   Dunlouise Scottish "Pure" Cattle I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 14, 2010 8:58 pm

MKeeney wrote:
Oldtimer wrote:

good to see a breed that isn`t trying to be Angus..oh wait, that`s right...Angus are trying to be Wagyu Smile
Wagyu another breed where the purebred probably goes too far to be useful in commercial production..but as part of a composite? presto Smile

Funny you should mention Wagyu as part of a composite. I am in the second year of an experiment of crossbreeding FB Wagyu with some of my Charolais. By careful selection, heavy culling, lots of data analysis and lots of linebreeding/inbreeding, I hope to produce animals that maintain an extremely high marbling ability with much great muscling, growth and feed efficiency than FB Wagyu.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dunlouise Scottish "Pure" Cattle   Dunlouise Scottish "Pure" Cattle I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 14, 2010 9:09 pm

whitecow wrote:
MKeeney wrote:
Oldtimer wrote:

Funny you should mention Wagyu as part of a composite. I am in the second year of an experiment of crossbreeding FB Wagyu with some of my Charolais. By careful selection, heavy culling, lots of data analysis and lots of linebreeding/inbreeding, I hope to produce animals that maintain an extremely high marbling ability with much great muscling, growth and feed efficiency than FB Wagyu.

Care to post some pictures of your project?
Back to top Go down
Tom D
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Dunlouise Scottish "Pure" Cattle   Dunlouise Scottish "Pure" Cattle I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 14, 2010 9:13 pm

K-State fed out a group of Charolais / Wagyu cross steers in 1999 with the following results:

15/17 Prime, 1 high choice, 1 ave. choice

8 YG 1 , 8 YG 2, 1 YG 3

.30 average backfat

Yeah, there might be some potential there. Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dunlouise Scottish "Pure" Cattle   Dunlouise Scottish "Pure" Cattle I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 14, 2010 9:17 pm

whitecow wrote:
MKeeney wrote:
Oldtimer wrote:

I appreciate the ambition, in the making of a new breed, that excells equally in antagonistic traits, but I think it is too much like having the crossbred dog, that will guard the stock from all predators, then on command go bite them to fetch them up.......it could happen, maybe, but I think the F1's.........ayhh, you know the story.
Back to top Go down
whitecow

PostSubject: Re: Dunlouise Scottish "Pure" Cattle   Dunlouise Scottish "Pure" Cattle I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 14, 2010 9:19 pm

dwight@steadfastbeef.com wrote:

Care to post some pictures of your project?

Sure, but I will have to take some first. The F1s are not much to look at. Dad keeps them kind of hidden. I bred a few of my clones (clones of the "248" cow) to the #1 marbling EPD Wagyu and flushed one of them to the same bull. Those calves are by far the best looking of the F1s. They are just now getting big enough to get a carcass ultrasound probe on them. I'll start that in the next couple of months.
Back to top Go down
whitecow

PostSubject: Re: Dunlouise Scottish "Pure" Cattle   Dunlouise Scottish "Pure" Cattle I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 14, 2010 9:25 pm

Bootheel wrote:
whitecow wrote:
MKeeney wrote:
Oldtimer wrote:

I appreciate the ambition, in the making of a new breed, that excells equally in antagonistic traits, but I think it is too much like having the crossbred dog, that will guard the stock from all predators, then on command go bite them to fetch them up.......it could happen, maybe, but I think the F1's.........ayhh, you know the story.

Yes, I know it is ambitious. But I think I have a bit of a head start. I have been involved (on the periphery) of the "build a new chip" project for whole genome screening. The Japanese have done a pretty good job of identifying a few unique markers for the kind of marbling that Wagyu produce. The markers are very different form what are being used by the genomics companies in the US. At first, at least, I will try to select heavily for these markers to create so percentage animals that are homozygous and then work on the other things.
Back to top Go down
Mean Spirit

PostSubject: Re: Dunlouise Scottish "Pure" Cattle   Dunlouise Scottish "Pure" Cattle I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 14, 2010 10:38 pm

Sounds like fun to me Brian. I thought about getting a Wagyu cow once to try the same thing. But they sure are hard to look at!
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Dunlouise Scottish "Pure" Cattle   Dunlouise Scottish "Pure" Cattle I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 15, 2010 6:56 am

I like the idea; when you want something; go to the breed that has it, instead of trying to squeeze blood from a turnip through 40 years of breeding...make the new combination, select and linebreed it until it breeds true...
after 40 generations of closed family inbreeding, Wright`s guinea pigs that survived still showed about 50% variation...variation won`t eliminated by inbreeding; though inbreeding might eliminate a lot of breeders Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dunlouise Scottish "Pure" Cattle   Dunlouise Scottish "Pure" Cattle I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 15, 2010 9:30 pm

What will the Wag x Chars gain in a feedlot. Carcass data is great, but if they are a pound a day back on gain, I don't see that much is gained unless you are hitting some sort of niche market or have a high end restaurant to sell to. Interesting idea though, just curious about the gain.
Back to top Go down
OAK LANE FARM

PostSubject: Re: Dunlouise Scottish "Pure" Cattle   Dunlouise Scottish "Pure" Cattle I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 26, 2010 8:06 am

The best bull calf I saw in the Peace River Country of Alberta was a Cortachy Boy calf. There were a couple of good heifers also. The guys that like moster cattle would find cause to desparage the calves but they are surely ok.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dunlouise Scottish "Pure" Cattle   Dunlouise Scottish "Pure" Cattle I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2010 1:06 am

OAK LANE FARM wrote:
The best bull calf I saw in the Peace River Country of Alberta was a Cortachy Boy calf. There were a couple of good heifers also. The guys that like moster cattle would find cause to desparage the calves but they are surely ok.

I can't agree with that Scott as I've seen some in other places that were pretty disappointing to the point that they would make poor feeder cattle.
Back to top Go down
OAK LANE FARM

PostSubject: Re: Dunlouise Scottish "Pure" Cattle   Dunlouise Scottish "Pure" Cattle I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2010 8:42 am

dunc wrote:
OAK LANE FARM wrote:
The best bull calf I saw in the Peace River Country of Alberta was a Cortachy Boy calf. There were a couple of good heifers also. The guys that like monster cattle would find cause to desparage the calves but they are surely ok.

I can't agree with that Scott as I've seen some in other places that were pretty disappointing to the point that they would make poor feeder cattle.
I was commenting on Roy's 1 bull and 2 heifers as well as the several yearling heifers at his place. I hear negative things from here about the cattle but mostly from people who would be comparing to some pretty extreme cattle so it does not suprise me. At Roy's his forrays into popular American cattle have surely produced the poorest cattle he has- would you agree Shane? How did your meetings go?
Back to top Go down
R V

PostSubject: Re: Dunlouise Scottish "Pure" Cattle   Dunlouise Scottish "Pure" Cattle I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 28, 2010 12:19 am

dunc wrote:
OAK LANE FARM wrote:

Poor perfomance and disappointment prevail with most those I have visited with... One breeder in Wyoming was impressed and, ironically, he had a lot of Shoshone breeding in his cows. Interesting as that is not the base (since more average in performance) that I would have expected to show more/adequate performance.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Dunlouise Scottish "Pure" Cattle   Dunlouise Scottish "Pure" Cattle I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 28, 2010 7:28 am

OAK LANE FARM wrote:
good is always dependent on the eye and "ideal" of the beholder...what is good to me today is different from the past; let alone someone else...
that said; how did the Spiritview cattle appeal to your defintion of good?
Back to top Go down
OAK LANE FARM

PostSubject: Re: Dunlouise Scottish "Pure" Cattle   Dunlouise Scottish "Pure" Cattle I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 28, 2010 8:32 am

How in the world did you know I was there? Cristoff was gone but his wife Erika showed me around . I thought the calves were ok but really could not tell much as they were June calves. I guess they looked a lot like the crossed Pinebank cattle would to me. It snowed the whole time I was up there or I may have had some pictures. I visited Ronan with 55 years of Angus history and saw some cattle there I liked. I think the breeders on this site may have appreciated a gentleman by the name of Ed Mostad, Grassy Lanes Angus that had a mild linebreeding program going and had a fair amount of cattle that were moderate sized. Ed was 79 years old and still getting around doing a fine job with his cattle. Ed did a great job of articlulating the concept of being a breeder. The wolves had moved the cows into the home pasture the night before. There was a sharp heifer that had a little wolf mark on her butt.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dunlouise Scottish "Pure" Cattle   Dunlouise Scottish "Pure" Cattle I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dunlouise Scottish "Pure" Cattle
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next