Keeney`s Corner
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

weighing bulls

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
larkota

weighing bulls Empty
PostSubject: weighing bulls   weighing bulls I_icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2011 12:57 pm

this is a dumbass question from a dumbass registurd breeder
I dont care for birth wt. alive is good enough
I take weaning wt.
I take yearling wt.
getting ready to pick keeper bulls
which wt should I use?
weight per day to weaning
weight per day to yearling
weight from weaning to yearling

in the past used the bulls that did well on all.
finding some that did well to weaning made mothers that didnt last very long
finding some that did well to yearling made big mothers
biggest is not best but still selling by the pound
or do I just forget weight and go with most pleasing or just look at the ones out of best mothers?

starting to sound like Fox, thinking to much or making it tougher then it needs to be
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

weighing bulls Empty
PostSubject: Re: weighing bulls   weighing bulls I_icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2011 1:19 pm

larkota wrote:
this is a dumbass question from a dumbass registurd breeder
I dont care for birth wt. alive is good enough
I take weaning wt.
I take yearling wt.
getting ready to pick keeper bulls
which wt should I use?

or do I just forget weight and go with most pleasing or just look at the ones out of best mothers?

starting to sound like Fox, thinking to much or making it tougher then it needs to be
ahhh yes, we all have had our Foxxy moments...I like " go with most pleasing or just look at the ones out of best mothers" if cows are the first priority...
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com

weighing bulls Empty
PostSubject: Re: weighing bulls   weighing bulls I_icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2011 4:02 pm

Larkota, I pick first on cow, then health/structure/testicles/feet/ hocks/ how parts work in harmony/movement. Then I blood type to a sire/then repeat the process again. test the semen/ ugly doesn't bother me if bull is severely inbred. I like sloped off hips and some set fore on rear leg set, I like bulls with high sex drive, that remind me of wild animals. I like bulls that have observational apptitude/watch ability/ look you in the eyes head movement. Bulls with charisma are high on my list. Dennis Voss...Not hooked on mainline mainstream no more no way
Back to top Go down
larkota

weighing bulls Empty
PostSubject: Re: weighing bulls   weighing bulls I_icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2011 5:24 pm

PORTABLE ELECTRONIC SCALE BY CENTRAL CITY FOR SALE
on two wheels easy to pull
slide gate on front and back

also electronic baby calf scale
mounts on bumper of pickup or 4 wheeler

edit
used clipping chute
2 calving pens by Vern's
Back to top Go down
EddieM

weighing bulls Empty
PostSubject: Re: weighing bulls   weighing bulls I_icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2011 6:49 pm

Quote :
which wt should I use?

If you have older dependable cows, what are the WW and YW of their calves? Use their averages to know your environmental limits. If too fast and too much on the growth is too quick to fail and too big, go average.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

weighing bulls Empty
PostSubject: Fromm LL...   weighing bulls I_icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2011 7:58 pm

Dennis Voss wrote:
Larkota, I pick first on cow, then health/structure/testicles/feet/ hocks/ how parts work in harmony/movement. Then I blood type to a sire/then repeat the process again. test the semen/ ugly doesn't bother me if bull is severely inbred. I like sloped off hips and some set fore on rear leg set, I like bulls with high sex drive, that remind me of wild animals. I like bulls that have observational apptitude/watch ability/ look you in the eyes head movement. Bulls with charisma are high on my list. Dennis Voss...Not hooked on mainline mainstream no more no way

From LL
A man's cattle are a reflection of the man.....Sounds like the world of KC is going to hell in a handbasket, 200 years of progressive selection going down the tubes reverting to the "wild animals"....Larkota, how in the world will DF accumulate data.......old fashioned pigs coming back along with PCC cattle and now MK is sponsoring ugliest cow and nubbin contests.......the Aug gathering of Krazy Comrades may be hazardous to one's health and well-being, there can be no warranties either expressed or implied, come at your own risk.....long live the King! Smile
Chief Two Eyes hiding out in a bunker somewhere in the Shoshone National Forest atop the Bear Tooth or Big Horn Mountains protected by the mud slides and raging rivers
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

weighing bulls Empty
PostSubject: Re: weighing bulls   weighing bulls I_icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2011 9:29 pm

Larkota,
here`s a picture of a calf sired here by your "never weighed, no name, also ran" 977 bull...I expect him to weigh around 650 at weaning; since two fall calves we did weigh at Joe`s for purchase weighed 660 and 590 off fall grass; same kind of genetics {a sire the mainstream would laugh at; no "thickness"} ...all calves were plenty small at birth for heifers by 977...the simple life is a boring life; few disappointments Smile
weighing bulls 977a-1
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

weighing bulls Empty
PostSubject: Re: weighing bulls   weighing bulls I_icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2011 4:39 am

Dennis Voss wrote:

is fat, rather than athleticism, the order of the day in the mainstream? or am I wrong; and seeing this bull all wrong? Could he get up the butte to breed a cow?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POKf1etx-H8&NR=1
Back to top Go down

weighing bulls Empty
PostSubject: Re: weighing bulls   weighing bulls I_icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2011 6:41 am

Fat melts like snow and runs down the gullies, soon the main stream fat boy bull is a gully-plug. The picture bull would prob. do just fine once he got the tabacco out of his system. DV near raging gullies
Back to top Go down

weighing bulls Empty
PostSubject: Re: weighing bulls   weighing bulls I_icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2011 7:21 am

Another way to look at this Mike is this "FAT RUNS DOWNHILL" DV
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

weighing bulls Empty
PostSubject: Re: weighing bulls   weighing bulls I_icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2011 7:33 am

Dennis Voss wrote:
Another way to look at this Mike is this "FAT RUNS DOWNHILL" DV
looking at these videos of popular bulls like Reflection, you can begin to understand why 1500 lb yearlings have 11 sq in ribeyes...
Back to top Go down
EddieM

weighing bulls Empty
PostSubject: Re: weighing bulls   weighing bulls I_icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2011 7:38 am

Now, now, you two are being pretty critical of this great sire. All you'd need is a push LH steer to move him up the mountain like they use the push boats to push the barges around on the river. If you need anymore simple answers, ...or is that simpleton answers, just ask.

Eddie, eating enough crawfish to walk backwards
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

weighing bulls Empty
PostSubject: Re: weighing bulls   weighing bulls I_icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2011 7:57 am

...............offtest wt..ribeye area/wt..rib fat
ANGUS PB 1305 417 4.26 11.3 0.91 .16
ANGUS PB 1415 428 4.71 12.3 0.93 .31
ANGUS PB 1290 420 2.06 10.8 0.95 .23
ANGUS PB 1285 404 4.12 11.7 0.92 .21

what do these bulls consist of...guts?
Back to top Go down

weighing bulls Empty
PostSubject: Re: weighing bulls   weighing bulls I_icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2011 8:03 am

Eddie the crawfish eater, the image will last all day, thanks
Back to top Go down
EddieM

weighing bulls Empty
PostSubject: Re: weighing bulls   weighing bulls I_icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2011 9:19 am

Quote :

I'll do my part again at lunch to boost my image!

Quote :
what do these bulls consist of...guts?

IMHO ........ Laughing....... IMHO, ...... can't be fat. Might be like the large girls in school that folks did not want to use the term "fat" and just called them "big boned"!
Back to top Go down
larkota

weighing bulls Empty
PostSubject: Re: weighing bulls   weighing bulls I_icon_minitimeWed May 25, 2011 10:01 am

Dennis Voss wrote:

went to a crawfish supper here this spring. asked a pretty young thing how do you eat them? she said quote "push squeeze pull then suck" boy did my mind wonder. Very Happy

another guy told me you could work at eating them and still lose weight.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

weighing bulls Empty
PostSubject: Re: weighing bulls   weighing bulls I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

weighing bulls
Page 1 of 1