Keeney`s Corner
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Why use old bulls?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
PatB

Why use old bulls? Empty
PostSubject: Why use old bulls?   Why use old bulls? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 26, 2012 7:54 am

interesting points made in link below

http://www.springlakeangus.com/why.html
Back to top Go down
EddieM

Why use old bulls? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why use old bulls?   Why use old bulls? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 26, 2012 10:51 am

Pat, Please supply a list of old bulls that are available, improve fertility and cow efficiency. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
PatB

Why use old bulls? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why use old bulls?   Why use old bulls? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 26, 2012 11:53 am

EddieM wrote:
Pat, Please supply a list of old bulls that are available, improve fertility and cow efficiency. Thanks.

I just posted the article for discussion purposes.

EddieM how about a list of current bulls that are available, improve fertility and cow efficiency.
Back to top Go down
R V

Why use old bulls? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why use old bulls?   Why use old bulls? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 26, 2012 7:17 pm

“It’s just common sense,” Lalman says. “When you look at the genetic trend for milk in the most popular breeds, on an equivalent basis, milking ability increases about 1 lb./year. We’re doing the same thing in selecting for increased muscle and growth potential. You have to ask yourself how much we need and how much can we afford at cow-calf level?”

Lalman shares this quote from Rick Bourdon, a respected industry geneticist and practical thinker: “To breed for optimum means you have a target in sight beyond which you don’t want to go. If your goal is to maintain an optimum level for any trait, the evidence of your accomplishment is not visible change but the lack of it.”

Lalman adds: “As an industry, we have demonstrated our ability to follow trends and overdo things. It’s getting us away from matching cows to their forage resources.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sounds like familiar territory here...
Back to top Go down
EddieM

Why use old bulls? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why use old bulls?   Why use old bulls? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 26, 2012 8:26 pm

Quote :
EddieM how about a list of current bulls that are available, improve fertility and cow efficiency.

I'm willing to bet on 715, 725, 734, 779, 789 and a few other home raised bulls because of the cows behind them.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

Why use old bulls? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why use old bulls?   Why use old bulls? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 31, 2012 8:45 am

it seems there was no reason to "change" from "old" PDBS type...they merely needed exporting...

http://harrisonandhetherington.co.uk/pedigree/pedigree-angus-report-131012/
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
Sponsored content

Why use old bulls? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why use old bulls?   Why use old bulls? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why use old bulls?
Page 1 of 1