Keeney`s Corner
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

NFR BUCKING BULLS

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

NFR BUCKING BULLS Empty
PostSubject: NFR BUCKING BULLS   NFR BUCKING BULLS I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 09, 2010 7:47 pm

I assume most of us are watching the NFR rodeo every night. I am amazed how good the phenotype is on the bucking bulls. Not only are they tremendous athletes, but they have to be so stucturally sound to do what they do without hurting themselves. Most are very masculine, and extremely appealing to my eye. I've always thought that they are a good study on what a bull should be made like for the most part. Maybe it's just me.
Back to top Go down

NFR BUCKING BULLS Empty
PostSubject: Re: NFR BUCKING BULLS   NFR BUCKING BULLS I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 09, 2010 11:10 pm

Jack, Its funny that you posted about this because my dad and I were just discussing it this morning. Bucking bull breeding programs are way ahead of us in the soundness department. They are tight bellied and of course extremely atheletic. Its amazing how their selection criteria for basically just bucking ability made what used to be many different types years ago into one very similar type now. Also you would be very amazed at how close bred the bulls from the most successful breeders are. The Growney/Kish, Nevada/Joe Berger, Alex Naccarato, and the D&H Cattle Company bulls are highly inbred. Of course some of the most extreme for bucking abilty are outcross outliers or just lucky sale barn purchases. The outfits I mentioned before though always have bulls bucking at very high levels for longer periods of time where some of the more extreme outcross bulls come and go even quicker than mainstream angus. Some of these programs have 40-50 years of breeding into these bulls. These bulls are certainly a very interesting study.
Back to top Go down
RobertMac

NFR BUCKING BULLS Empty
PostSubject: Re: NFR BUCKING BULLS   NFR BUCKING BULLS I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 10, 2010 12:15 am

Jack McNamee wrote:

I assume most of us are watching the NFR rodeo every night. I am amazed how good the phenotype is on the bucking bulls. Not only are they tremendous athletes, but they have to be so stucturally sound to do what they do without hurting themselves. Most are very masculine, and extremely appealing to my eye. I've always thought that they are a good study on what a bull should be made like for the most part. Maybe it's just me.
Not just you.
Back to top Go down

NFR BUCKING BULLS Empty
PostSubject: Re: NFR BUCKING BULLS   NFR BUCKING BULLS I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 10, 2010 9:15 am

I should go look at the cows in one of those bucking bull breeding programs. If masculinity breeds femininity those should be a pretty set of cows.
Back to top Go down
Charles

NFR BUCKING BULLS Empty
PostSubject: Re: NFR BUCKING BULLS   NFR BUCKING BULLS I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 10, 2010 2:02 pm

Don't know about the cows frim the specific programs mentioned. I have seen several bucking stock cow sales on RFD-TV. Those cows in the sales were the most unfeminine type you can imagine. Didn't look feminine enough to even get bred. Totally non-Bonsma. Brought a lot of money, though..........

Charles
Back to top Go down
Oldtimer

Oldtimer

NFR BUCKING BULLS Empty
PostSubject: Re: NFR BUCKING BULLS   NFR BUCKING BULLS I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 10, 2010 2:24 pm

And interestingly- contrary to what some on this site believe in Wink Razz - one of the major things they did in creating and maintaing those phenotype cattle is start a "breed" registry- the ABBI (American Bucking Bulls Inc.) to track and certify the bloodlines....

Which has also been quite an emotion and commotion promotion instrument for many of those breeders....Really sucking in the big money investors....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

NFR BUCKING BULLS Empty
PostSubject: Re: NFR BUCKING BULLS   NFR BUCKING BULLS I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

NFR BUCKING BULLS
Page 1 of 1