Keeney`s Corner
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Day Angus Heifers by KA Bulls born Fall 2011

Go down 
+3
Grassfarmer
tim hair
Larry Leonhardt
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Mark Day

Day Angus Heifers by KA Bulls born Fall 2011 Empty
PostSubject: Day Angus Heifers by KA Bulls born Fall 2011   Day Angus Heifers by KA Bulls born Fall 2011 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 16, 2012 7:59 am

Here are some products of my breeding philosophy. Been weaned 3 weeks. I think every heifer got photographed. 23 in the crop I think. Starting off with the worst one.

Day Angus Heifers by KA Bulls born Fall 2011 IMG_0140

Day Angus Heifers by KA Bulls born Fall 2011 IMG_0127

Day Angus Heifers by KA Bulls born Fall 2011 IMG_0128

Day Angus Heifers by KA Bulls born Fall 2011 IMG_0129

Day Angus Heifers by KA Bulls born Fall 2011 IMG_0130

Day Angus Heifers by KA Bulls born Fall 2011 IMG_0131-1

Day Angus Heifers by KA Bulls born Fall 2011 IMG_0132

Day Angus Heifers by KA Bulls born Fall 2011 IMG_0133

Day Angus Heifers by KA Bulls born Fall 2011 IMG_0134

Day Angus Heifers by KA Bulls born Fall 2011 IMG_0130

Day Angus Heifers by KA Bulls born Fall 2011 IMG_0131-1

Day Angus Heifers by KA Bulls born Fall 2011 IMG_0132

Day Angus Heifers by KA Bulls born Fall 2011 IMG_0133

Day Angus Heifers by KA Bulls born Fall 2011 IMG_0134

Day Angus Heifers by KA Bulls born Fall 2011 IMG_0135

Day Angus Heifers by KA Bulls born Fall 2011 IMG_0136

Day Angus Heifers by KA Bulls born Fall 2011 IMG_0137

Day Angus Heifers by KA Bulls born Fall 2011 IMG_0138

Day Angus Heifers by KA Bulls born Fall 2011 IMG_0139

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Day Angus Heifers by KA Bulls born Fall 2011   Day Angus Heifers by KA Bulls born Fall 2011 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 16, 2012 11:55 am

They look good enough to me. Was it a better grass year, than in the past? Same management, or have you changed up some things? Whatever you did, it looks like it worked.
Back to top Go down
Larry Leonhardt

PostSubject: Re: Day Angus Heifers by KA Bulls born Fall 2011   Day Angus Heifers by KA Bulls born Fall 2011 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 16, 2012 12:59 pm

Wow Mark, genuine progress is when the students exceed their mentors. Reaping what we sow, putting the right kind of maternal Aberdeen back into Angus, we can certainly thank our forefathers of a 100 years ago for developing the inherent characters within the breed. When I began thinking about the TruLine concept over 30 years ago, my ambitions were to produce eight or nine good replacement heifers out of ten born rather than the two or three that we commonly got that made "good" profitable cows..... rather than chase the so called "super" cows.

Genetics determines the uniformity of a type, not the environment......take pride in a job well done without wasting a fortune chasing 100,000 dollar bulls.....patience and perserverance has its own rewards.

LL very jealous of your lush environment
Back to top Go down
tim hair

PostSubject: Re: Day Angus Heifers by KA Bulls born Fall 2011   Day Angus Heifers by KA Bulls born Fall 2011 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 16, 2012 2:01 pm

Nice must be proud of this group of heifiers. pretty good group sired by a bull from Ky. are the dams of these heifers 1/2 sibs. I would be happy just to gate cut those heifers.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Day Angus Heifers by KA Bulls born Fall 2011   Day Angus Heifers by KA Bulls born Fall 2011 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 16, 2012 2:36 pm

tim hair wrote:
Nice must be proud of this group of heifiers. pretty good group sired by a bull from Ky. are the dams of these heifers 1/2 sibs. I would be happy just to gate cut those heifers.

Welcome to the Corner Tim; it has been a while...I knew you had left the road most traveled years ago; never thought you`d end up here... Smile

yeah, I like those heifers, and it settles one issue in my mind in b & w fashion...blythies home to stay...
Day Angus Heifers by KA Bulls born Fall 2011 Blythemaker211-10-10-2

mk, in the vicinity of proud but apprehensive about the price Mark may ask for the cut he sells...I`ll give the same per lb for any cut... Question do I hear $1.70?
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
Mark Day

PostSubject: Re: Day Angus Heifers by KA Bulls born Fall 2011   Day Angus Heifers by KA Bulls born Fall 2011 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 16, 2012 8:01 pm

There was more green grass last year than usual. Winter was more mild and the calves had access to more shelter than last year but nothing really more than most years. I saw a lurker this afternoon that saw the calves in person a few weeks ago and saw this post and he did not think they were the same calves Surprised . They are actually by 2 bulls - Blythie and another Wal-Mart brand bull from Mike that I think is a Felix Grandson. I guess it is the first time I have ever used bulls with no papers. Shocked Several different sires represented in the cow herd but most of the cows have genetics that have been used by either Mike, Larry or Dennis. I think the most noticeable exception would be a cow bred by a Saugahatchee son out of a Champion Hill cow Laughing . All cows stem from the original cows brought to the farm in 1957. I guess it just goes to show you what you have a type in mind and you keep trying to breed that type to type and somewhat ignore the pedigree. The question to be learned along the journey is how happy will I or their owners be with them 10 years from now.

Mike, I expect 10+ years from now people will be glad Blythie was kept around. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Grassfarmer

PostSubject: Re: Day Angus Heifers by KA Bulls born Fall 2011   Day Angus Heifers by KA Bulls born Fall 2011 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 16, 2012 10:43 pm

Fine looking heifers, certainly look to be "all of a type". Couple of questions though - if these are fall calves do you always wean them this early and if so why? Also wondered if the lack of shine on the coats is normal under your climatic conditions - by the time our grass is that green the cattle are usually way shinier/slicked off.
Back to top Go down
http://www.luingcattle.com
Mark Day

PostSubject: Re: Day Angus Heifers by KA Bulls born Fall 2011   Day Angus Heifers by KA Bulls born Fall 2011 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 16, 2012 10:49 pm

Grassfarmer, Grass is way early this year but yes that is a typical look. Maybe they are weaned early by some standards but calves that age on my farm seem to like to travel so when they start to get hold to keep in and I am tired of feeding hay with grass on other parts of the farm I wean them and send the cows to the grass. I have had calves travel quite a ways to eat winter wheat. I hate those phone calls.
Back to top Go down
Danny Miller

PostSubject: Re: Day Angus Heifers by KA Bulls born Fall 2011   Day Angus Heifers by KA Bulls born Fall 2011 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 16, 2012 10:59 pm

Real nice group of heifers Mark. Those paper less bulls are getting the job done and very well at that. cheers
I assume the bull pictured is the sire of some of the heifers. He is a great looking bull!!
Mike, is he back in KY?

DM
Back to top Go down
http://www.jmsvictordomino.com
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Day Angus Heifers by KA Bulls born Fall 2011   Day Angus Heifers by KA Bulls born Fall 2011 I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 16, 2012 11:34 pm

yeah Blythie has been a well traveled backup spare; he`s home to stay...I`ve got to get an attitude adjustment; just because I raised him and never considered him "special", doesn`t mean he isn`t better than a bunch of these little fat toads the registered world wants $35/ straw for...started to sell him as a yearling to a commercial guy for $1350; thought , oh heck, why ? he`s been to Mark`s; he`s been to TN; he`s the sire of a cute little batch of heifers from my "selected" Shoshone cows...do I hear a $1.80? Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Day Angus Heifers by KA Bulls born Fall 2011   Day Angus Heifers by KA Bulls born Fall 2011 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2012 8:11 am

Very Nice Mark. What are they weighing and when were they born? Just curious. They look bigger than my yearling heifers. They sure have the look of mother cows and my god is there any better country in the US than Ohio? Population genetics at it's finest. Whats the majority of your grass? Do you fight the Fescue? When do we go to Ohio Mike?

Jack just full of question this morning.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Day Angus Heifers by KA Bulls born Fall 2011   Day Angus Heifers by KA Bulls born Fall 2011 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2012 12:18 pm

Jack McNamee wrote:
Very Nice Mark. What are they weighing and when were they born? Just curious. They look bigger than my yearling heifers. They sure have the look of mother cows and my god is there any better country in the US than Ohio? Population genetics at it's finest. Whats the majority of your grass? Do you fight the Fescue? When do we go to Ohio Mike?
Jack just full of question this morning.
my wife has been to Ohio; so to her, the "grass always is greener" in Montana ...and to think I never asked her there for years, because I thought, as she did, she wouldn`t like Montana...now her most dreamy movie line is, "Brother, I`ll never leave Montana"...I can take her to Montana far easier than I can be a Brad Pitt... Smile
but who knows, Ohio , over around Charles Shepherd`s place and little Jimmer`s, is a last Eastern frontier of cattle opportunity as I see it...
Back to top Go down
Charles

PostSubject: Re: Day Angus Heifers by KA Bulls born Fall 2011   Day Angus Heifers by KA Bulls born Fall 2011 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2012 9:31 pm

I think that Blythie or at least a son needs to take a trip over here to be used on the cattle kingdom of E. Ohio.......Charles livin' on the frontier.
Back to top Go down
Mark Day

PostSubject: Re: Day Angus Heifers by KA Bulls born Fall 2011   Day Angus Heifers by KA Bulls born Fall 2011 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 6:47 am

Jack,

The heifers are not as big as they look. Born mostly September-October they generally weigh in the 450-500 pound range with some a bit more and some a bit less. Have to admit the Blythie's seem to push a bit harder on the scales than I expected. Guess it hasn't been that long since I had some Ohlde genetics that weighed less than I thought they would.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Day Angus Heifers by KA Bulls born Fall 2011   Day Angus Heifers by KA Bulls born Fall 2011 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 7:04 am

Charles wrote:
I think that Blythie or at least a son needs to take a trip over here to be used on the cattle kingdom of E. Ohio.......Charles livin' on the frontier.

Charles,
I was just thinking this AM about the string of Wal-mart genetic stores we`re building across Ohio...Mark in the South, Dan in Columbus, you on the frontier, and Chris not far over the line in PA...Build it; if they don`t come, we will take it to them...

MK, in the vicinity of anticipation of Charles visit late today; wondering what kind of special woman Sara is to cause him to stop and smell the roses along the way...
Back to top Go down
Mark Day

PostSubject: Re: Day Angus Heifers by KA Bulls born Fall 2011   Day Angus Heifers by KA Bulls born Fall 2011 I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 11:24 pm

Mike,
You seemed to have caused quite a stir at the local diner with your offers on those heifers. I had a hard time getting away from the school softball game tonight as people were talking about it. And I am not the one telling the stories. ...some lurker seems to be telling the stories. Good thing they are stashed off the road so that the gate thieves won't try to take them too.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Day Angus Heifers by KA Bulls born Fall 2011   Day Angus Heifers by KA Bulls born Fall 2011 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 7:00 am

Mark Day wrote:
Mike,
You seemed to have caused quite a stir at the local diner with your offers on those heifers. I had a hard time getting away from the school softball game tonight as people were talking about it. And I am not the one telling the stories. ...some lurker seems to be telling the stories. Good thing they are stashed off the road so that the gate thieves won't try to take them too.

neither the thieving or genetic rustlers should get too excited; they would have to sell them like registered breeders buy bulls; on their individuality...I`m offering to buy them on the geneotype of the group...that`s why I`m perfectly content to own your "culls"...
Back to top Go down
Larry Leonhardt

PostSubject: Re: Day Angus Heifers by KA Bulls born Fall 2011   Day Angus Heifers by KA Bulls born Fall 2011 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 10:27 am

mark said

Here are some products of my breeding philosophy. Been weaned 3 weeks. I think every heifer got photographed. 23 in the crop I think.

Starting off with the worst one.
Day Angus Heifers by KA Bulls born Fall 2011 IMG_0140

And if this was the heaviest one

Day Angus Heifers by KA Bulls born Fall 2011 IMG_0135

And these were the average

Day Angus Heifers by KA Bulls born Fall 2011 IMG_0139

Mark Day wrote:
Mike,
You seemed to have caused quite a stir at the local diner with your offers on those heifers. I had a hard time getting away from the school softball game tonight as people were talking about it. And I am not the one telling the stories. ...some lurker seems to be telling the stories. Good thing they are stashed off the road so that the gate thieves won't try to take them too

MK wrote:
neither the thieving or genetic rustlers should get too excited; they would have to sell them like registered breeders buy bulls; on their individuality...I`m offering to buy them on the geneotype of the group...that`s why I`m perfectly content to own your "culls"...

When you are at the bottom, you have no where to go but up - when you are at the top, you have no where to go but down - when you are in the middle, all is well.

LL - somewhere in between hetero and homo

Back to top Go down
Mark Day

PostSubject: Re: Day Angus Heifers by KA Bulls born Fall 2011   Day Angus Heifers by KA Bulls born Fall 2011 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 10:54 am

Quote :
When you are at the bottom, you have no where to go but up - when you are at the top, you have no where to go but down - when you are in the middle, all is well.

Larry,

New records of futility are being set everyday so while you may stay at the bottom, you can always get farther off course.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Day Angus Heifers by KA Bulls born Fall 2011   Day Angus Heifers by KA Bulls born Fall 2011 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Day Angus Heifers by KA Bulls born Fall 2011
Page 1 of 1