Keeney`s Corner
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Developing Replacement Heifers

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Oldtimer

Oldtimer

Developing Replacement Heifers Empty
PostSubject: Developing Replacement Heifers   Developing Replacement Heifers I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2011 5:44 pm

An article that was in the last Montana Angus News:

Quote :

Beth M Blevins,DVM was born and raised in Cut Bank, Montana. She attended Carrol College in Helena MT, where she found that snow actually piles up on fence posts and power lines. After graduating from Colorado State University in Fort Collins, Colorado, she completed a large animal internship at Washington State University in Pullman Washington. She has practiced in the Ronan, Montana area since 1987.

One chore for fall
involves selection of replacement heifers and development of those heifers. The tendency to choose the large well doing heifers results from eye appeal. The biggest heifers just attract the most attention. Consistently choosing the largest heifers tends to increase frame score
on the herd. A hip height of 47 to 50" for a 10 month old heifer
would be a frame score of 5 or 6 which is a moderate frame score.
At 20 months that same heifer should have a hip height of 50 to 52"
as measured when the heifer is standing square, sighted at the hook
bones. Having an idea of the
desired frame score on the cow herd or even knowing the average height in the cow herd now and whether an
increase, decrease or maintenance of that frame is desired helps
determine a target weight for replacement heifers. Having a target
weight for the heifers gives a producer a tangible goal. Angus heifers,
as well as other breeds that are not Brahma or Brahma-cross, reach
puberty at 60-65% of their mature weight. Using the frame score to predict mature weight then allows computation of a target weight for puberty. For example a frame score of 5 in a 10-month old heifer
should have a hip height of about 48" and a mature weight of
1173#. Sixty percent of 1173# is 704# as the target weight for
puberty. Hitting the target weight at the start of the breeding season
gives that heifer the best chance of breeding. Ideally heifers
should have an average daily gain from weaning to the start of
1 to 1.5# per day. Adequate, but not excessive, gains ensure proper udder development and milking ability. Protein and energy requirements
met in a balanced ration to achieve a body conditon score of
6 is ideal. Heifers gaining on average from weaning to breeding, more
than 2# per day had decreased fertility as did thin heifers. In addition,
the fatter
heifers have a decrease in lifetime weaning weights because of decreased milk production. If heifers are thin for part of the period from weaning
to breeding, then fed more to hit the target weight, the fertility and
milking ability are preserved. Looking at the entire weaning to
breeding period for the average of 1 to 1.5# daily gain and reaching
the target weight with a body condition of 6 is vital.

PELVIC AREA AND FRAME SCORE
Measuring pelvic area as a selection criteria for heifers facilitates the process if properly interpreted. Simply choosing the heifers with the
largest pelvic area will result in selecting for larger frame score. Unfortunately the larger frame score heifer has a larger frame
score calf and calving problems still encountered. Pelvic measurements taken with a caliper inserted rectally, finds the narrowest height
and width in centimeters. The product of those measurements yields
the pelvic area in centimeters. Instead of choosing bigger is better,
the best use of pelvic area measurement is to set a minimum of
150 sq centimeters at one year of age. Any heifer measuring less
is culled, but no preference is given to heifers measuring larger.

REPRODUCTIVE TRACT SCORE
If pelvic area is
being measured a reproductive tract
score can be determinded at the same time.
If the uterine horn is less than 20 mm diameter and the ovaries are the size of peanuts at 6 to 8 weeks prior to the start of breeding season,
the heifer is either too young, too thin or was implanted as a calf.
Prospective replacement heifers should never be implanted with
growth promotants as implantation is associated with fewer heifers
cycling and conceiving, especially younger heifers and heifers
implanted more than once. A reproductive tract score of 1 would
be assigned to that heifer. A 5 reproductive tract score has a
uterine horn diameter greater than 30mm with good tone and ovaries
the size of a large lima bean with follicles and a CL (corpus luteum formed from the follicle after a heat cycle). A score of 4 would have
uterine diameter of 30mm and and lima bean sized ovaries with follicles.
Heifers should have a 4 or 5 reproductive tract score 6-8 weeks
prior to breeding season.

Choose well when selecting replacement heifers. Pay attention
to thier development with feed and vaccinations. The heifers are
the future of the cowherd.
Back to top Go down
larkota

PostSubject: Re: Developing Replacement Heifers   Developing Replacement Heifers I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2011 6:34 pm

blah blah blah

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Developing Replacement Heifers   Developing Replacement Heifers I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2011 6:55 pm

You were right Tom.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Developing Replacement Heifers   Developing Replacement Heifers I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2011 7:02 pm

I was one of the first to pelvic measure...I kept those less than 150; they calved unassisted; I quit measuring...another hoop jumping excersize for bigger government...
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com

PostSubject: Re: Developing Replacement Heifers   Developing Replacement Heifers I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2011 7:54 pm

Otis you can do all that and i am going to grab a beer and relax, and grab another beer and relax some more. clown clown
Back to top Go down
Oldtimer

Oldtimer

PostSubject: Re: Developing Replacement Heifers   Developing Replacement Heifers I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2011 7:58 pm

W.T wrote:
Otis you can do all that and i am going to grab a beer and relax, and grab another beer and relax some more. clown clown

Sorry to disappoint you WT- but I don't do any of it...But I put it on here (and 5BarX) thinking y'all was running out of things to wine (sp) about- and now had something to jump back and forth and discuss... Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Developing Replacement Heifers   Developing Replacement Heifers I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2011 8:03 pm

No problem here that is the same stuff the extension office have been using for their updates for years, the same Blah,Blah,Blah every 6 months.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Developing Replacement Heifers   Developing Replacement Heifers I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2011 8:18 pm

Oldtimer wrote:
W.T wrote:

Sorry to disappoint you WT- but I don't do any of it...But I put it on here (and 5BarX) thinking y'all was running out of things to wine (sp) about- and now had something to jump back and forth and discuss... Wink
there is a season for all things OT...and when DV draws, and LL writes, tis the season to be still...read...comtemplate...and occasionally, someone might even get it...and then..pull that trigger Kendra spoke of instead of hopping to and fro like a bunny the turtle beat to the finish...

Last edited by MKeeney on Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com

PostSubject: Re: Developing Replacement Heifers   Developing Replacement Heifers I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2011 8:56 pm

Old timer i see you feel like ya get picked on a bit, oh well toughen up. read the last three post form LL. And if you fail to see the wisdom in that then keep reading then read DV post and look at his art, after a little while it starts to sink in. As far as dveloping heifers all of that is just redunit crap. About 10 yrs ago a young man on one of these sites by the name of Angus 2 made a post regarding calving heifers. "IF YOU NEVER PULL A CALF YOU WILL NEVER HAVE TO" That is one of the most profound statements I have ever read, and some years later it has worked amazingly well. Most of the posters on that thread just never got it and they never will. There is more information shared on Keeney's corner in a week than on both of the other sites in a year ya just have to be able to listen and open your mind. W.T Arrow Arrow
Back to top Go down
Oldtimer

Oldtimer

PostSubject: Re: Developing Replacement Heifers   Developing Replacement Heifers I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 20, 2011 12:42 pm

W.T wrote:
Old timer i see you feel like ya get picked on a bit, oh well toughen up. read the last three post form LL. And if you fail to see the wisdom in that then keep reading then read DV post and look at his art, after a little while it starts to sink in. As far as dveloping heifers all of that is just redunit crap. About 10 yrs ago a young man on one of these sites by the name of Angus 2 made a post regarding calving heifers. "IF YOU NEVER PULL A CALF YOU WILL NEVER HAVE TO" That is one of the most profound statements I have ever read, and some years later it has worked amazingly well. Most of the posters on that thread just never got it and they never will. There is more information shared on Keeney's corner in a week than on both of the other sites in a year ya just have to be able to listen and open your mind. W.T Arrow Arrow

Zen Philosophy

1. Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do
not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside
me for the path is narrow. In fact, just piss off and leave me
alone.

2. No one is listening until you fart.

3. Always remember you're unique. Just like
everyone else.

4. Before you criticize someone, you should walk a
mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a
mile away and you have their shoes.

5. If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember
anything.

6. Some days you are the dog; some days you are the
tree.

7. Good judgment comes from bad experience ... and most
of that comes from bad judgment.

8. A closed mouth gathers no foot.

9. Generally speaking, you aren't learning much when
your lips are moving.

10. Experience is something you don't get until just
after you need it.

11. We are born naked, wet and hungry, and get slapped on
our ass - then things just keep getting worse..

12. Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill
and a laxative on the same night.

Some Zen Philosophy that make it easier to handle some of the discussions of Keeneys Corner! Wink Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Developing Replacement Heifers   Developing Replacement Heifers I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 20, 2011 9:02 pm

How'd NO#12 work Old timer, on second thought keep it to yourself cheers cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Developing Replacement Heifers   Developing Replacement Heifers I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Developing Replacement Heifers
Page 1 of 1