Keeney`s Corner
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Help needed!

Go down 
+6
chocolate cow
df
PatB
MKeeney
outsidethebox
Grassfarmer
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Grassfarmer

Help needed! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help needed!   Help needed! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2012 11:29 pm

Thanks WT, actually I have found the whole discussion very helpful.
See on another site that the conventional cattle breeders are still managing to sell their bulls just fine - Lazy S sale in Alberta yesterday saw a $5300 average on 200 head. Red Angus, Black Angus, Red polled "Simmental", black polled "Simmental" plus "beef makers" (SIMXAngus) - you can bet there was some heterosis at work there, maybe not so much in their customers herds though.
Back to top Go down
http://www.luingcattle.com
outsidethebox

PostSubject: Re: Help needed!   Help needed! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 5:49 am

W.T wrote:
Grassfarmer wrote:
My, I've been away for the day and come back to lots of good discussion, thanks folks. To address some of the earlier posts mainly by DF this is about the preferred length of our main article in the Newsletter. It only goes out twice a year so I don't mind a "meaty" article that people can come back to several times if they have to - in a forum like KC obviously we need to go with shorter stories. I do insist on telling a complete story each time although the articles can still be in a series. I had actually covered some of the 4 points you suggested in previous newsletters like the role of purebred breeders etc. This is probably not my last article on this subject as I feel there are whole areas of it which I haven't even touched and my thinking and understanding is constantly changing the more I learn. I need to be a bit careful too as although I am the breed secretary and main breeder of these cattle here there are other members who do not line breed or believe in this stuff. I need to be careful not to hijack the breed/breed publication for my own promotional purposes.

To the later posts I'm not doing this for popularity, I really believe in the cattle and love what I'm getting the chance to do with them genetically. A few bull sales or a lot of bull sales will neither make or break this commercially based operation in the long run. I'd rather sell one bull at $2000 to guys like Hilly that figures out why things aren't working in his commercial operation and goes out seeking a better way to do things than sell 20 bulls at $4000 to dumbasses that are only at the sale because of mainstream BS hype. I think the pride smart guys like Ben and BobH have in these Shoshone cattle once they have seen how they work under their conditions disproves your comment about hiding cattle from the wife and family. I'm more interested in these people with a passion and conviction as customers than guys that boast on superficial things like how fat their bull is, how much money he cost or whether the "breeder" gave out free sorting sticks at his sale.

GF- wordy again I know Rolling Eyes

grassy I have read this thread at least twice and have came to the conclusion you don't need any help! Dennis posted once that a man should stand up and piss in the center of the toilet and if the noise offended anyone, then so what, be proud of who you are and what you are was his point. I think you know exactly what you want to get across so let'er rip and to hell with worrying about who like's it and who doesn't. I haven't seen where you want to become the spokes person for the whole registry, or become a author, so do what you want and have fun with it and in the end you can stand on the bridge and express yourself as you see fit. Razz Razz Razz Razz

And I am in this same camp. I disagree with the creating/fostering a "stampede" mentality...whether the purposes are noble and true or not. I understand that "99%" of the population has lost the ability the think critically for themselves but I am most happy to stand firmly with the 1 percenters. This may not be as monetarily profitable but "What does it profit a man if he gains the whole world and looses his own soul???????????????" Live free and be true to your soul...there's nothing better.
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: Help needed!   Help needed! - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 8:14 am

Quote :
My, I've been away for the day and come back to lots of good discussion, thanks folks. To address some of the earlier posts mainly by DF this is about the preferred length of our main article in the Newsletter. It only goes out twice a year so I don't mind a "meaty" article that people can come back to several times if they have to - in a forum like KC obviously we need to go with shorter stories. I do insist on telling a complete story each time although the articles can still be in a series. I had actually covered some of the 4 points you suggested in previous newsletters like the role of purebred breeders etc. This is probably not my last article on this subject as I feel there are whole areas of it which I haven't even touched and my thinking and understanding is constantly changing the more I learn. I need to be a bit careful too as although I am the breed secretary and main breeder of these cattle here there are other members who do not line breed or believe in this stuff. I need to be careful not to hijack the breed/breed publication for my own promotional purposes.

I think there is middle ground here. Since this is a typical length and the readers willpick up the newsletter at times to read, reread or finish reading, divide the entire article with subtitles or division breaks and it will allow all of the benefits to fit with the norm.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help needed!   Help needed! - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Help needed!
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2