Keeney`s Corner
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

A case for stabalized lines and crossbreeding

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
MKeeney
Admin

A case for stabalized lines and crossbreeding Empty
PostSubject: A case for stabalized lines and crossbreeding   A case for stabalized lines and crossbreeding I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 9:08 pm

A case for stabalized lines and crossbreeding Charcowcalf2010

A case for stabalized lines and crossbreeding Charxbull2010

Tough sledding out here in the real world armed only with certain types in mind; developed from experiences raising cattle rather than university programing. The two pictures above actually are outliers from the Charolais genepool I am working Question playing with...but the pictures represent the efficiencies that could be consistently obtained from a Tru-line or just complimentary types crossed...maybe should imagine a bwf cow with the Charx calf...of course, this little cow/big calf scenario happens in registered breeding by chance from time to time...but just like crossbreeding; it is a one time phenominon that can`t be duplicated with consistency...so it blows my mind a bit, that registered breeders are spending 40/60/planning a 100 years of breeding to make efficient cows...when the parts exist to create that efficiency TODAY.
Do we as breeders really need to make a complete new automobile, or just make some better complimentary parts?

I kind feel like a McCombie era breeder with these Chars...no knowledge beyond what I see, but with plenty of experience of different types assets, and deficiencies...looking for those "good enough" to mate with each other...
A case for stabalized lines and crossbreeding Charbull2010
average performance; superior type...
bred below to the same; her half brother...
A case for stabalized lines and crossbreeding Charheifer2-2010
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com

PostSubject: Re: A case for stabalized lines and crossbreeding   A case for stabalized lines and crossbreeding I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 9:28 pm

That would be too easy, would not generate as much income for the AAA and Tom Burke's checking account would suffer somewhat. Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A case for stabalized lines and crossbreeding   A case for stabalized lines and crossbreeding I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 10:33 pm

The whites are looking good Mike, I am not going to try to spell that other word again, I am still a little unsure on this crossbreeding thing, would this be something like you are talking about.
A case for stabalized lines and crossbreeding 009-2

A case for stabalized lines and crossbreeding 010-2

This scrawny little 5 year old, would be out of a below average growth, too high milk, Angus bull, a black baldy cow of unknown origin, and a very much mainstream, terminal very high growth angus sired calf........so is it crossbreeding? heterosis? or an attempt at a profitable terminal cross to maximize profits in feeding\carcass sector? Someone smarter than me will have to answer.
Back to top Go down
Charles

PostSubject: Re: A case for stabalized lines and crossbreeding   A case for stabalized lines and crossbreeding I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 28, 2010 7:35 am

Looking at your pics Bootheel sure brings back memories. I used to have a bunch of cows/calves very much like the pair you pictured. The cows were holstein/hereford cross and I bred them to terminal angus bulls til the cows got too old. This group were the most profitable cows I ever owned, would produce 600-700 lbs of calf in 7 months. The cows bred back real good, usually no opens. One year I left the calves on the cows all winter, calves averaged over 900 lbs when weaned 6 wks before next calving. Calves showed little or no dairy influence, sold well.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: A case for stabalized lines and crossbreeding   A case for stabalized lines and crossbreeding I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2010 7:11 am

test herd report on the above Charloais bull
Nice maybe five pounds heavier than the blacks. Wish I had more

A case for stabalized lines and crossbreeding Photo
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: A case for stabalized lines and crossbreeding   A case for stabalized lines and crossbreeding I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2010 10:57 am

It doesn’t get much better than that Smile as that calf appears to have good vigour. My 5 year goal includes around 500 of those calves under blue sky Cool
Back to top Go down
shilow angus

PostSubject: Re: A case for stabalized lines and crossbreeding   A case for stabalized lines and crossbreeding I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 02, 2010 10:56 am

Hilly wrote:
It doesn’t get much better than that Smile as that calf appears to have good vigour. My 5 year goal includes around 500 of those calves under blue sky Cool

500 calves worth $50 more dollars with no added input cost.... Cool
Back to top Go down
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: A case for stabalized lines and crossbreeding   A case for stabalized lines and crossbreeding I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 03, 2010 11:31 am

shilow angus wrote:
Hilly wrote:

500 calves worth $50 more dollars with no added input cost.... Cool

That should help in my performance review... may even be able to justify enterprise expansion cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A case for stabalized lines and crossbreeding   A case for stabalized lines and crossbreeding I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A case for stabalized lines and crossbreeding
Page 1 of 1