Keeney`s Corner
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Montana Road ?'s

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Double B

Double B

Montana Road ?'s Empty
PostSubject: Montana Road ?'s   Montana Road ?'s I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 12:04 am

I have to start hauling those stupid Llamas this weekend.I think I will be going to Billings then take I90 to Missoula,then north to Hot Springs.How are the roads right now,and where might the most cost effective motels be?

Mike please feel free to delete this in a couple days,I just put it here because everyone seems to read breeding philosphies.
Back to top Go down
Oldtimer

Oldtimer

Montana Road ?'s Empty
PostSubject: Re: Montana Road ?'s   Montana Road ?'s I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 10:47 am

Double B-- here is where you can keep track on the roads:

http://www.mdt.mt.gov/travinfo/

Don't know much about the motels as I haven't traveled that direction in some time- but I usually tried avoiding the big Motels in Billings, Bozeman and Missoula as they had pretty high rates year around...
I found the smaller ones- and some of those in the smaller towns were a lot cheaper...

The King Ave exit at Billings has a lot of Motels and food places close-- and a few cheap motels like Motel 6 on the south side of the Interstate...Bozeman has changed so radically since I spent much time there- I couldn't help you....When I was travelling a lot- I found Big Timber a nice little town to stay in...

There is several storms and almost daily snow predicted possible again this next week-- but not sure where they are heading or will affect...
Check this out:

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/ggw/

Click on the area you want to check out...
Back to top Go down
Double B

Double B

Montana Road ?'s Empty
PostSubject: Re: Montana Road ?'s   Montana Road ?'s I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 2:27 pm

Thanks for the info OT
Back to top Go down
Oldtimer

Oldtimer

Montana Road ?'s Empty
PostSubject: Re: Montana Road ?'s   Montana Road ?'s I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 2:43 pm

The one thing with Montana weather is if you don't like it- wait 5 minutes because it will probably change...
Last night it was deep in the 20 Below range- this morning when I got up it had warmed to 14 Below-- but a 20-25 mph wind had come up, putting the chill factor at 40 Below...(The old girls weren't too excited to come out of their holes for feed even)... Up to 3 Below now-- with highs predicted around 10 above....
But the warm weather has its negatives too-- as it is bringing in more snow- which we don't need....

Back to top Go down

Montana Road ?'s Empty
PostSubject: Re: Montana Road ?'s   Montana Road ?'s I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 10:06 pm

+40 Oldtimer 8pm. Two Dot 1-12-11
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

Montana Road ?'s Empty
PostSubject: Re: Montana Road ?'s   Montana Road ?'s I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 10:12 pm

Double B wrote:
I have to start hauling those stupid Llamas this weekend.I think I will be going to Billings then take I90 to Missoula,then north to Hot Springs.How are the roads right now,and where might the most cost effective motels be?

Mike please feel free to delete this in a couple days,I just put it here because everyone seems to read breeding philosphies.

Mike,
You`re on the road more than old Charles K used to be...be careful; especially with a valuable load like that Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
Oldtimer

Oldtimer

Montana Road ?'s Empty
PostSubject: Re: Montana Road ?'s   Montana Road ?'s I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 10:25 pm

Dennis Voss wrote:
+40 Oldtimer 8pm. Two Dot 1-12-11

Shocked I can't remember when I last saw a +40 degree temp.... Sad We're up to +9 at 8:30PM...

Enjoy!!

Last edited by Oldtimer on Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jbob

Montana Road ?'s Empty
PostSubject: Re: Montana Road ?'s   Montana Road ?'s I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 10:25 pm

Double B, I am sorry to tell you this. But by 7pm firday night the mountains will have an additional 24 inches of snow on them. I would postpone your trip from at least Butte north until late saturday or sunday. That would maybe give the road crews some time to get all the cars out of the ditches and snow off the roads. The temps will not be that bad but the damb wind has been terriable lately and with that much snow. Travel will be pure hell.

J.Bob Hould
Back to top Go down
Double B

Double B

Montana Road ?'s Empty
PostSubject: Re: Montana Road ?'s   Montana Road ?'s I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 13, 2011 8:58 am

Jbob thank you for the warning,I will try to plan for that.
Back to top Go down
Oldtimer

Oldtimer

Montana Road ?'s Empty
PostSubject: Re: Montana Road ?'s   Montana Road ?'s I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 13, 2011 9:45 am

In watching the local (Great Falls/Helena) TV Weatherman this morning- it does not sound good...Besides snow across the state- with abundant amounts in the mountains- they are also talking rain and freezing rain across parts of central and western Montana..... Predictions of snow from now thru Tuesday... Shocked

This has been one of the worst travel winters in a long time... My wife has had to reschedule 2 Dr.'s appointments in Billings because of snowstorms closing roads- and the last time they just made it back before the road south of Malta was closed again....

I had about a half dozen events (sales/Chase Hawks rodeo) scheduled for this fall/winter that I ended up cancelling going to because of our early onset of winter....And for us up here in the Little Siberia part of Montana they are predicting more snow and a good blow about Friday Sad ....
Back to top Go down
RedBulls

Montana Road ?'s Empty
PostSubject: Re: Montana Road ?'s   Montana Road ?'s I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 13, 2011 10:23 am

Double B- We're about 40 miles South of Missoula. Schools in this area are closed today due to icy roads. It's about 38 degrees this morning, but the overnight lows for the next few days are supposed to be below freezing. Predicting snow and rain for the next few days. If you have to make the trip be careful. Make sure you've got chains and a scoop shovel!
Back to top Go down
http://www.yydurhamcattle.com
Double B

Double B

Montana Road ?'s Empty
PostSubject: Re: Montana Road ?'s   Montana Road ?'s I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 11:14 am

Well so far the worst part is the wyoming wind,got to turn around and go back in a couple hours.
Back to top Go down
Double B

Double B

Montana Road ?'s Empty
PostSubject: Re: Montana Road ?'s   Montana Road ?'s I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 23, 2011 12:27 pm

Montana Road ?'s Llamahauling742

Load a Llama

Just shy of 7,000 miles in 8 days. Wish I could have stopped and visited some people, but lucky for them I didn't have time.
Back to top Go down
Oldtimer

Oldtimer

Montana Road ?'s Empty
PostSubject: Re: Montana Road ?'s   Montana Road ?'s I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 23, 2011 2:22 pm

Quote :
Load a Llama

Just shy of 7,000 miles in 8 days.

Them must be some pretty special Llama's.....
Back to top Go down
Double B

Double B

Montana Road ?'s Empty
PostSubject: Re: Montana Road ?'s   Montana Road ?'s I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 23, 2011 6:29 pm

Might have been the biggest BS deal I have ever seen,but the pay was good and I got to see some pretty country. They were unwanted llama's that had to be moved out of this animal rescue place in Hot Springs that went broke. The deal was they were aginst putting them down and wouldn't let them leave in any kind of open trailer. I don't like to see anything suffer,but these type of folks need a good dose of reality or there going to make agriculture hell for us in the future.Weird they were paying a bunch of truckers to haul loads of unwanted animals 1,000's of miles in gooseneck trailers while they motor around in hybrid cars,being vegans,and all worked up about there carbon foot print. All the money came from donations from so called animal lovers and the giverment. After it's over I figure they will all tell everone what a great thing they did to save these unwanted animals while children go hungry.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Montana Road ?'s Empty
PostSubject: Re: Montana Road ?'s   Montana Road ?'s I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Montana Road ?'s
Page 1 of 1