Keeney`s Corner
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Wagyu x Charolais

Go down 
+7
EddieM
Hilly
MKeeney
Grassfarmer
Mark Day
Tom D
whitecow
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
whitecow

Wagyu x Charolais - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagyu x Charolais   Wagyu x Charolais - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 7:52 am

EddieM wrote:
What % Wagyu starts changing the meat?
I think the short answer is any. But there will be variation with anything other than F1s. We can probably improve the consistency with linebred parents. I am linebreding the heck out of the Wagyu side.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wagyu x Charolais   Wagyu x Charolais - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 8:27 am

W.T. I'm having another ribeye for breakfast, no green no way DV in the sizzle , smell is killing me, man that metal plate is hot
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wagyu x Charolais   Wagyu x Charolais - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 9:04 am

Dennis Voss wrote:
W.T. I'm having another ribeye for breakfast, no green no way DV in the sizzle , smell is killing me, man that metal plate is hot

Ok ya got me the first time.... At your age for breakfast i can see you eating a bowl of oatmeal..... Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
Larry Leonhardt

PostSubject: Re: Wagyu x Charolais   Wagyu x Charolais - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 8:09 pm

whitecow wrote:
Ok. The first results are in....just got the beef back from this guy:
Wagyu x Charolais - Page 2 567
Live WT:1520
HCWT:970
QG: high prime
YG: 2.1
REA: 16.2
Dry aged 21 days
Tastes great!
Dennis Voss wrote:
Wagyu x Charolais - Page 2 BigBlue

23 month old, grass fat, current weight 1500 lbs. In the corral for a couple months eating ground hay & 6 lbs Muggli Bros. cake per day. Gentle, quiet, mostly Shoshone blood. Fat will be white as corn fed.

FORM FOLLOWS FUNCTIONAL SELECTION REGARDLESS OF BREED

GENETIC ORDER .......

Wagyu x Charolais - Page 2 1200milesnoclue[/quote]

THANKS DV, WHETHER THE 'FLYING V' SYMBOLOIZES 'VOSS' OR MY 'V' BRAND ON THE RIGHT HIP OF ORDERLY POPULATION GENETICS - Since we both originated in the Cornhusker state, here's a Nebraska Real World Beef Update - Large group of multiple sired ordinary straightbred Shoshone steers, weaning wt about 625#,feedlot ADG 5.52#, kill weight 1500# plus.... 95% Prime..... No yield grade 4's..... No extreme individual outlier BS.....No big Charolais cows bred to Wagyu bulls......No reliance on crossbred heterosis.....No hyped up overpromotion

Wagyu x Charolais - Page 2 6309a-1

.....JUST STABILIZED, SUSTAINABLE, PLAIN AND SIMPLY EFFICIENT WORK AND WEAR CORES

No Mike, when you told me "how we get lucky sometimes "......your selection of Fenley was not luck, it's 1200 miles of planned selection perserverance following a straight line, the shortest distance between two points.

LL in the contented vicinity of re-establishing strains calmly watching all the traditional selection of unsustainable, unaffordable outliers become self destructive
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Wagyu x Charolais   Wagyu x Charolais - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 8:37 pm

LL,
you don`t even have a profit index to guide you

http://www.leachman.com/2012Springcatalog/#/19/zoomed

on second thought, how good is a profit index if you went broke using it ?? the below one is funny talking about "ranch equity" increasing...don`t you have to own a ranch first?

http://www.leachman.com/2012Springcatalog/#/20/zoomed

go left to the earlier pages for the CSU CON training class...
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
Grassfarmer

PostSubject: Re: Wagyu x Charolais   Wagyu x Charolais - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 9:28 pm

Has this 1500lb+ fat animal become the norm in the commodity system? Most of my customers don't have DV's appetite for beef - probably steered by the "health guidelines" towards a "healthy" portion size being the size of a deck of cards. I know if we get cattle over 700lb carcasses we start to get complaints some of the larger steaks are too big. Maybe that's an anomaly of the market I'm selling into?

Whitecow, I wonder if you could get restaurants interested in your product? I know they tend to prefer to buy steaks or primals but if you get an enterprising chef you might get them interested in a special product that they would buy by the half. We had that experience last fall selling a whole beef to a chef in Calgary, halved and dry aged 30 days with them doing their own cutting. The better restaurants charge enough that the beef cost isn't a big issue, the one we dealt with was charging $40-$60 for a steak and $10 extra for the vegetables to go with it! Imagine that Dennis - paying $10 for a bit of green vegetation decoration Shocked
If I had high cost of production beef to direct market I'd be going after the restaurant trade.
Back to top Go down
http://www.luingcattle.com
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Wagyu x Charolais   Wagyu x Charolais - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 6:53 am

let`s remember the formula...slaughter steer finish weight = cow mature weight x bull 150% of her weight...
still applies I think; the Keeney Angus cattle selected and derived from Shoshone won`t make 1500lb slaughter because I have picked earlier maturing animals like 6309 from the population....but lurking here is this old bull I never much cared for because he "didn`t grow", quoting the Iowa expert...but he did get plenty damn big eventually ...he`s the sire of Nubbin and his pretty counterpart at MVCatt`s , and I believe they are on that the growth curve as well...
his dam; nubbin`s grand dam Chris...

Wagyu x Charolais - Page 2 6115b-1

knowing her weight, I ask what`s the difference bewteen a big Charolais cow and a big Angus cow ? Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wagyu x Charolais   Wagyu x Charolais - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 7:29 am

Zilch, If they look tasty, I'll eat both.
Back to top Go down
MVCatt

PostSubject: Re: Wagyu x Charolais   Wagyu x Charolais - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 9:24 am

MKeeney wrote:
let`s remember the formula...slaughter steer finish weight = cow mature weight x bull 150% of her weight...
still applies I think; the Keeney Angus cattle selected and derived from Shoshone won`t make 1500lb slaughter because I have picked earlier maturing animals like 6309 from the population....but lurking here is this old bull I never much cared for because he "didn`t grow", quoting the Iowa expert...but he did get plenty damn big eventually ...he`s the sire of Nubbin and his pretty counterpart at MVCatt`s , and I believe they are on that the growth curve as well...
his dam; nubbin`s grand dam Chris...

Wagyu x Charolais - Page 2 6115b-1

knowing her weight, I ask what`s the difference bewteen a big Charolais cow and a big Angus cow ? Smile

The perfect size to breed to the terminal bull of your choice.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Wagyu x Charolais   Wagyu x Charolais - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 12:06 pm

whitecow wrote:
That's the knock. I'm killing the F1s at 22-24 months. They have been on a self-feeder with a high fiber ration targeted at gaining 2.2 lbs/day. The F1s have been gaining about 3 lbs/day for the last couple of months. They are eating 15-20 lbs/day.
Wagyu x Charolais - Page 2 637
are the blacks in this pic crosses?
Back to top Go down
whitecow

PostSubject: Re: Wagyu x Charolais   Wagyu x Charolais - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 1:42 pm

The bladie is 3/4 Wagy 1/4 Hereford. The chocolate steer is F1 Wag x Char. The blacks are all fullblood.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Wagyu x Charolais   Wagyu x Charolais - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 8:33 pm

whitecow wrote:
The bladie is 3/4 Wagy 1/4 Hereford. The chocolate steer is F1 Wag x Char. The blacks are all fullblood.

my gracious, the pure blacks are beautiful as well
Back to top Go down
larkota

PostSubject: Re: Wagyu x Charolais   Wagyu x Charolais - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 04, 2012 9:06 am

W.T wrote:
Is Angus no longer needed?????? scratch scratch

angus breeders have sold out to the highest bidder just as CAB has.

Ultimate Angus Beef is regarded as some of the best beef in the world for its fine quality, amazing flavor, and exquisite marbling. At Arby’s, we serve 100% Black Angus, lightly seasoned with just the right touch of our special blend of cracked black pepper, herbs and spices. Our premium 94% lean top round is oven roasted to perfection and served freshly sliced for the “ultimate” in Angus. Visit Arby's and try one of our freshly prepared Angus sandwiches, you'll taste the difference.

Angus Promo :: McDonalds.com
Date: 01/18/12
It's a giant third pound of 100% Angus Beef that's so juicy, you might want to grab another napkin.

With the Certified Angus Beef ®️ brand, your customers can count on exceptional taste and consistency. You can rely on unparalleled customer satisfaction and unrivaled partner services.

•Grow sales
•Increase profits
•Guarantee quality
•Build repeat business
Our goal is to maintain mutually beneficial relationships with each customer. Need ideas to help grow your business and increase efficiency? We can help. Need assistance with marketing endeavors? We have the resources.

We want consumers to know the Certified Angus Beef ®️ brand is the best Angus beef available—and that they can buy it from you.

Additional Certified Angus Beef ®️ brand advantages:
•The highest quality beef with the greatest availability.
•Product integrity and consistency in every box with the industry’s most extensive tracking system.
•A full line of subprimal and portioned fresh cuts.
•A line of value-added products.
•The only brand owned by the American Angus Association ®️ and its nearly 30,000 cattle ranchers.
•Unmatched brand awareness with strong consumer recognition of our logo.
•Comprehensive marketing support.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2219/whats-the-big-deal-about-aged-beef-and-angus-beef

American Angus Assn. and CAB is not about a breed its a business plan.

Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Wagyu x Charolais   Wagyu x Charolais - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 7:17 am

the Wagyu boys must be prone to a little promtion as well...

Yasufuku J930 is linebred to Yasumi Doi J10328. Offspring of Yasufuku J930 produced one carcass that sold at auction for $97,000 at the 2007 All-Japan Wagyu Competition. Other carcasses produced by descendants of Yasufuku J930 sold for $45,000, $42,600, $49,000 and $68,000.

Smile
Back to top Go down
whitecow

PostSubject: Re: Wagyu x Charolais   Wagyu x Charolais - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 9:11 am

Wagyu ET calves from Char heifers...
Wagyu x Charolais - Page 2 IMG_0790
Wagyu x Charolais - Page 2 IMG_0786
Wagyu x Charolais - Page 2 IMG_0780
Wagyu x Charolais - Page 2 IMG_0777
Wagyu x Charolais - Page 2 IMG_0770
Back to top Go down
whitecow

PostSubject: Re: Wagyu x Charolais   Wagyu x Charolais - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 9:27 am

The purpose of the flush was to try to produce a linebred terminal Wagyu sire. Here is the mating:
Wagyu x Charolais - Page 2 2012-03-05_08-22-46_657
The Suzutani cow has produced several bulls whose progeny have had superior quality/value. That is, if you believe the promotion & comotion from the Wagyu breeders.
Back to top Go down
whitecow

PostSubject: Re: Wagyu x Charolais   Wagyu x Charolais - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 9:31 am

Grassfarmer wrote:

Whitecow, I wonder if you could get restaurants interested in your product? I know they tend to prefer to buy steaks or primals but if you get an enterprising chef you might get them interested in a special product that they would buy by the half. We had that experience last fall selling a whole beef to a chef in Calgary, halved and dry aged 30 days with them doing their own cutting. The better restaurants charge enough that the beef cost isn't a big issue, the one we dealt with was charging $40-$60 for a steak and $10 extra for the vegetables to go with it! Imagine that Dennis - paying $10 for a bit of green vegetation decoration Shocked
If I had high cost of production beef to direct market I'd be going after the restaurant trade.

I hope you are right. I have given some sample ribeyes to a couple of restaurant owners that I know. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Wagyu x Charolais   Wagyu x Charolais - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 8:54 pm

As a small aside, very nice reciept cows Whitecow Smile Whip a couple of Charolais eggs in them, or just breed them to their daddy, burn their papers to cheapen them up, and I`ll trade you a few big cows, two of mine for one of yours Smile Don`t mean to insult you; I`m just a cheap sucker for a good cow no matter her color; so long as the bottom line is black...yes, Larry has a good point about they aren`t terminal breeds, but are paternal breeds...because the growth/muscle paternal lines must be able to reproduce and rear themselves in reasonable fashion...to save on the trucking, I`ll lb my cows and send you cash Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mean Spirit

PostSubject: Re: Wagyu x Charolais   Wagyu x Charolais - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 7:33 pm

Thats awesome Whitecow. Thought a little about AIing everything to a Wagyu bull last year, and cleaning up with a Charolais. Maybe I'll think about that again this year.

You selling any semen, cheap, you know?
Back to top Go down
Tom D
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Wagyu x Charolais   Wagyu x Charolais - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 8:22 pm

MK, while you're collecting, why don't you go buy that older Wagyu bull and get him collected. Then we would all have some cheap semen to experiment with. 6309, the twins, Wagyu, and a Char, and bang we're off and running.

TD pushing for TL
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Wagyu x Charolais   Wagyu x Charolais - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 9:14 pm

Tom D wrote:
MK, while you're collecting, why don't you go buy that older Wagyu bull and get him collected. Then we would all have some cheap semen to experiment with. 6309, the twins, Wagyu, and a Char, and bang we're off and running.

TD pushing for TL
good idea...how many straws does anyone want at $5/ straw of Waygu semen...as soon we reach a 100 straws, I`ll proceed to negotiate a syndication... Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wagyu x Charolais   Wagyu x Charolais - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 9:20 pm

Can you graze them out to desired maturity, with shortened feedlot time, and still make them grade?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wagyu x Charolais   Wagyu x Charolais - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 9:38 pm

Back to top Go down
Tom D
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Wagyu x Charolais   Wagyu x Charolais - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 9:54 pm

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wagyu x Charolais   Wagyu x Charolais - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 10:03 pm

101 Just kidding... 20 this year. I may try to put a straw in each of the heifers time permitting.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wagyu x Charolais   Wagyu x Charolais - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wagyu x Charolais
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Keeney`s Corner :: Breeding Philosophies :: Breeding Philosophies-
Jump to: