Keeney`s Corner
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Wagyu x Charolais

Go down 
+7
EddieM
Hilly
MKeeney
Grassfarmer
Mark Day
Tom D
whitecow
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
whitecow

Wagyu x Charolais Empty
PostSubject: Wagyu x Charolais   Wagyu x Charolais I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 1:58 pm

Ok. The first results are in....just got the beef back from this guy:
Wagyu x Charolais 567
Live WT:1520
HCWT:970
QG: high prime
YG: 2.1
REA: 16.2
Dry aged 21 days
Tastes great!
Back to top Go down

Wagyu x Charolais Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagyu x Charolais   Wagyu x Charolais I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 3:41 pm

Whitecow, Best post on KC in many a day, DV
Back to top Go down
Tom D
Admin

Wagyu x Charolais Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagyu x Charolais   Wagyu x Charolais I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 4:21 pm

Found this ten year old article while cleaning my office the other day:

Wagyu x Charolais Wagchar
Back to top Go down
whitecow

Wagyu x Charolais Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagyu x Charolais   Wagyu x Charolais I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 4:30 pm

I have 6 of these F1s that will all be harvested over the next few weeks. I have 16 fullblood Wagyus and 17 3/4 & 7/8 Wagyus that have been fed with the F1s. I'll be harvesting a steer every other week or so for the rest of the year. I have been carcass ultrasounding them about every 60 days since weaning. The F1s like peas in a pod. There is a lot of variation in the rest. The next set will be coming off the oats and moving to feed in a few weeks.
Back to top Go down
Mark Day

Wagyu x Charolais Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagyu x Charolais   Wagyu x Charolais I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 5:46 pm

Age at kill time?
Back to top Go down

Wagyu x Charolais Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagyu x Charolais   Wagyu x Charolais I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 5:54 pm

Whitecow, my brains are on rapid fire, thank you very much for your hands on research, for sharing it DV in the vicinity of longhorn- wagyu- angus- char
Back to top Go down
whitecow

Wagyu x Charolais Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagyu x Charolais   Wagyu x Charolais I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 5:58 pm

That's the knock. I'm killing the F1s at 22-24 months. They have been on a self-feeder with a high fiber ration targeted at gaining 2.2 lbs/day. The F1s have been gaining about 3 lbs/day for the last couple of months. They are eating 15-20 lbs/day.
Wagyu x Charolais 637
Back to top Go down

Wagyu x Charolais Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagyu x Charolais   Wagyu x Charolais I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 6:16 pm

Whitecow,
That's not a knock to me. Up here we call that aging on the hoof. The best beef we can produce on this hard grass - low volume, high value grass - is 22 to 24 month type animals. The only way I can see that you would claim it as a knock is extended cost of gain for you. But if you're recouping that on the final product, what the hell. Here the animals I'm talking about have more good flavor becuase of it. We'll try to go out and photograph the next homeboy beef for you. More later, must go do chores, bye.
DV

P.S. Dylan Biggs, wade into this. Whitecow's got a live one going.
Back to top Go down
Grassfarmer

Wagyu x Charolais Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagyu x Charolais   Wagyu x Charolais I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 7:27 pm

White cow, what is your market for these fed cattle? are you selling direct, locally or is it going into the commodity system?
Dennis I agree that taking a bit longer isn't a knock - I think grown slower = finer texture of beef and more time to accumulate flavor.
Depending what they are fed of course.
Back to top Go down
http://www.luingcattle.com
MKeeney
Admin

Wagyu x Charolais Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagyu x Charolais   Wagyu x Charolais I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 7:37 pm

Dennis Voss wrote:
Whitecow, Best post on KC in many a day, DV

Agreed Exclamation everything Tru-line is about, everything KC is trying to promote, everything breeds were created for...wrapped up in one picture with accompaning factual results...amazing what you can build with the pieces that fit together to make a predictable whole cheers

Quote :
The F1s like peas in a pod. There is a lot of variation in the rest

take particular note of this; all ye current and close breeders to be...
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
whitecow

Wagyu x Charolais Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagyu x Charolais   Wagyu x Charolais I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 8:24 pm

Grassfarmer wrote:
White cow, what is your market for these fed cattle? are you selling direct, locally or is it going into the commodity system?
Dennis I agree that taking a bit longer isn't a knock - I think grown slower = finer texture of beef and more time to accumulate flavor.
Depending what they are fed of course.

The plan is to sell direct. I haven't sold anything yet, but I am about to unlease a big marketing effort. After tasting this stuff, I think the "drug dealer" approach might work....the first on is free, you pay for the rest.
Back to top Go down
whitecow

Wagyu x Charolais Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagyu x Charolais   Wagyu x Charolais I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 8:32 pm

We are putting fullblood Wagyu embryos in all of our Charolais heifers and cleaning up with Wagyu. I have been so excited about this project that we have retained all of our Charolais heifers for the last 2 years and even bought more. The heifers can have these Wagyu babies in their sleep and they provide more than enough milk to let the calves grow to their genetic potential. Plus, I get to see which Charolais heifers deserve to stay in the Char breeding herd. If they don't make the cut, they will keep having Wagyu calves. I am extremely happy with the way things are going so far.
Back to top Go down
Hilly

Wagyu x Charolais Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagyu x Charolais   Wagyu x Charolais I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 8:44 pm

Thanks for sharing an update whitecow, I was curious how things were going with your project, as I plan on using Wagyu on my Charolais heifers as well.

Mike posted this a while back and I found it interesting, hope you don’t mind me throwing it up on your thread as well.

http://www.wagyu.org/2009Talks/HoeghWagyuNutrition.pdf
Back to top Go down

Wagyu x Charolais Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagyu x Charolais   Wagyu x Charolais I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 9:34 pm

Is Angus no longer needed?????? scratch scratch
Back to top Go down
Mark Day

Wagyu x Charolais Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagyu x Charolais   Wagyu x Charolais I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 9:46 pm

A bit ignorant here but I admit it. Does all of the beef taste better or just the steaks. If only the steaks how do you justify the increased costs? I am curious about the whole thing but someone keeps telling me to stick to straight Angus because he wants my extra heifers. Shocked Probably the best advice I can follow that costs no extra $ but actually have a few beef customers asking about it as well. Can you still make a nice profit selling it at $2.50/pound hanging weight plus processing like I do with my straight Angus?
Back to top Go down

Wagyu x Charolais Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagyu x Charolais   Wagyu x Charolais I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 10:32 pm

Wagyu x Charolais BigBlue

23 month old, grass fat, current weight 1500 lbs. In the corral for a couple months eating ground hay & 6 lbs Muggli Bros. cake per day. Gentle, quiet, mostly Shoshone blood. Fat will be white as corn fed.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

Wagyu x Charolais Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagyu x Charolais   Wagyu x Charolais I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 10:40 pm

W.T wrote:

obviously not needed for marbling...but the changers are working on it; and promoting it...sos
Back to top Go down

Wagyu x Charolais Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagyu x Charolais   Wagyu x Charolais I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 10:44 pm

MKeeney wrote:
W.T wrote:

obviously not needed for marbling...but the changers are working on it; and promoting it...sos

At this time I wonder how many X bred wagyu have already made there way into the Angus gene pool by the Pure bred crowd????? Now they wouldn't do that would they? scratch scratch
Back to top Go down

Wagyu x Charolais Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagyu x Charolais   Wagyu x Charolais I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 10:45 pm

24 month flavor on all cuts is super, Mark. roasts are to die for, steaks, what can I say they have the sizzle flavor.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

Wagyu x Charolais Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagyu x Charolais   Wagyu x Charolais I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 10:46 pm

Dennis Voss wrote:
Wagyu x Charolais BigBlue

23 month old, grass fat, current weight 1500 lbs. In the corral for a couple months eating ground hay & 6 lbs Muggli Bros. cake per day. Gentle, quiet, mostly Shoshone blood. Fat will be white as corn fed.

I doubt any steak at the Grizzly Bar being better...though they might make one bigger...what was that steak you downed there, DV...28 OZ? I thought DV was being funny since I was buying, but no, he was just hungry Smile

Back to top Go down

Wagyu x Charolais Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagyu x Charolais   Wagyu x Charolais I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 10:51 pm

Dennis Voss wrote:
24 month flavor on all cuts is super, Mark. roasts are to die for, steaks, what can I say they have the sizzle flavor.

I cant take it my freezer is empty and. That tastes good just thinking about it . stop stop stop..........
Back to top Go down

Wagyu x Charolais Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagyu x Charolais   Wagyu x Charolais I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 11:04 pm

W.T. Salt pepper, hot as hell grill, lots of marbling, cheeeee,she hits the heat, sizzle cheeeee, turn it over, smoke rolls up, sizzle, man its a big old porter house, have to turn the heat down, marbling is driping down, flaming up, ah its done the only thing on your plate. nothing green, just a hot stainless steel plate with a sizzling good steak off a 2yr. old fat steer. DV
Back to top Go down
whitecow

Wagyu x Charolais Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagyu x Charolais   Wagyu x Charolais I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 11:18 pm

Mark Day wrote:
A bit ignorant here but I admit it. Does all of the beef taste better or just the steaks. If only the steaks how do you justify the increased costs? I am curious about the whole thing but someone keeps telling me to stick to straight Angus because he wants my extra heifers. Shocked Probably the best advice I can follow that costs no extra $ but actually have a few beef customers asking about it as well. Can you still make a nice profit selling it at $2.50/pound hanging weight plus processing like I do with my straight Angus?

I think it all will taste better. Even the roasts have marbling like I have never seen before. I'm not sure if this can compete with Angus at $2.50/lb hanging weight. My estimated break even on these first F1s is $2.57/lb hanging wt...partly because I had to put them on feed earlier than planned because of the Texas drought. I am aiming for a niche market. I think I can sell everything that I have for closer to $5/lb hanging wt.
Back to top Go down

Wagyu x Charolais Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagyu x Charolais   Wagyu x Charolais I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 11:32 pm

Dennis Voss wrote:
W.T. Salt pepper, hot as hell grill, lots of marbling, cheeeee,she hits the heat, sizzle cheeeee, turn it over, smoke rolls up, sizzle, man its a big old porter house, have to turn the heat down, marbling is driping down, flaming up, ah its done the only thing on your plate. nothing green, just a hot stainless steel plate with a sizzling good steak off a 2yr. old fat steer. DV

Now there is a steak salt and pepper and none of that dam sauce shit to ruin it. I have always thought the green stuff was the quickest way to ruin a good steak. who needs the rest of the crap any way. White cow we have sold as many as 13 steers in a year and have always had a line waiting for the next one. When you can cut a T-Bone with a fork most people don't care if they pay a little extra. Now i suppose DV will draw a dam picture of him eating that steak with flames and all, It will look so real Ill start smelling the dam thing..... Out saleing your self sucks White cow... so don't advertise too much.
Back to top Go down
EddieM

Wagyu x Charolais Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagyu x Charolais   Wagyu x Charolais I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 7:00 am

What % Wagyu starts changing the meat?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Wagyu x Charolais Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wagyu x Charolais   Wagyu x Charolais I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wagyu x Charolais
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Keeney`s Corner :: Breeding Philosophies :: Breeding Philosophies-
Jump to: