Keeney`s Corner
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Inbreeding in Cattle: What You Need To Know!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
MVCatt

Inbreeding in Cattle: What You Need To Know! Empty
PostSubject: Inbreeding in Cattle: What You Need To Know!   Inbreeding in Cattle: What You Need To Know! I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 16, 2010 8:56 am

http://www.angusaustralia.com.au/Breeding/Inbreeding_leaflet.pdf

Ran across this leaflet this morning. Thought it might be useful to others who know as little about cattle breeding as I do.
Back to top Go down
Kent Powell

PostSubject: Re: Inbreeding in Cattle: What You Need To Know!   Inbreeding in Cattle: What You Need To Know! I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 16, 2010 10:42 am

Why limit your outbreeding within a breed - if this piece is correct?
Back to top Go down
http://powellangus.com
MVCatt

PostSubject: Re: Inbreeding in Cattle: What You Need To Know!   Inbreeding in Cattle: What You Need To Know! I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 16, 2010 1:31 pm

Keystone wrote:

Take what you wish from it, however it applies to your situation. Outbreed to what ever you want.
For me I'm not a seedstock provider, not looking to linebreed anything. Small commercial herd, two bull cross one is a heifer bull, one isn't. What are the consequences of a father daughter mating? Not retaining any of the resulting 25% heifer calves. Other than some depressed growth in those calves is there anything else?
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Inbreeding in Cattle: What You Need To Know!   Inbreeding in Cattle: What You Need To Know! I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 16, 2010 10:59 pm

MVCatt wrote:
Keystone wrote:

Take what you wish from it, however it applies to your situation. Outbreed to what ever you want.
For me I'm not a seedstock provider, not looking to linebreed anything. Small commercial herd, two bull cross one is a heifer bull, one isn't. What are the consequences of a father daughter mating? Not retaining any of the resulting 25% heifer calves. Other than some depressed growth in those calves is there anything else?
I`ll try and get some pictures tomorrow of some inbred sire/dau itty bitties; they will be posted under a different thread titled itty bitty {a descriptive term; not a recessive gene}... it should get a lot of attention from google searches from those obsessed with purifying the breed of recessive defects; I wish them speedy success; so they can get back to curing the expressed, dominant defects...well, no, on second thought, those same people created the dominant defects; so I don`t have much faith in their cures...
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: Inbreeding in Cattle: What You Need To Know!   Inbreeding in Cattle: What You Need To Know! I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 18, 2010 3:27 pm

Quote :
For me I'm not a seedstock provider, not looking to linebreed anything. Small commercial herd, two bull cross one is a heifer bull, one isn't.

That's the way it's supposed to be. Seedstock producers and commercial cattlemen. No need to feel any pressure to practice inbreeding but it might help you decide which bulls can do you the most good on your next buy, regardless of breed.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Inbreeding in Cattle: What You Need To Know!   Inbreeding in Cattle: What You Need To Know! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Inbreeding in Cattle: What You Need To Know!
Page 1 of 1