Keeney`s Corner
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Inbreeding coefficients

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
MikeJ

Inbreeding coefficients Empty
PostSubject: Inbreeding coefficients   Inbreeding coefficients I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 1:32 pm

Last edited by MikeJ on Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Grassfarmer

PostSubject: Re: Inbreeding coefficients   Inbreeding coefficients I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 2:42 pm

MikeJ wrote:
To those interested in inbreeding and thus inbreeding coefficients, do you rely on the AAA calculator, use a computer program or calculate by hand? I've been looking at AAA coefficients and they appear to be calculated based on 3 or 4 generations. Have run some with Kintracks, but at least one result is clearly wrong. That wrong result is especially disappointing after entering data for several hours.

Mike

I use the Kintracks program out of mild interest, I believe there are less mistakes with it now than there were prior to some changes they made as a result of a discussion (on 5BarX I think) Maybe look up that thread as the owner of Kintracks posted on there.I don't know how to work it out longhand and I'm too lazy to learn so I use Kintracks but as I say it's out of mild interest - not as a means to make breeding choices.
Back to top Go down
http://www.luingcattle.com
Kent Powell

PostSubject: Re: Inbreeding coefficients   Inbreeding coefficients I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 2:50 pm

How many generations does it calculate?
Back to top Go down
http://powellangus.com
MikeJ

PostSubject: Re: Inbreeding coefficients   Inbreeding coefficients I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 2:53 pm

Last edited by MikeJ on Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Inbreeding coefficients   Inbreeding coefficients I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 4:15 pm

I probably have a bug in my computer, but when I try to use KinTracks my computer goes right to my Peachtree accounting software. What does anybody else use to compute inbreeding coefficients?
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Inbreeding coefficients   Inbreeding coefficients I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 8:10 pm

AAA must use about 5 generations...Kent figured 1707 at 53% for me with either a 10, or 15 generation analysis...AAA computes her at 47%...those ancestors farther back than 5 generations won`t contribute very much to IBC; still interesting....
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
MikeJ

PostSubject: Re: Inbreeding coefficients   Inbreeding coefficients I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 8:30 pm

Last edited by MikeJ on Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Mean Spirit

PostSubject: Re: Inbreeding coefficients   Inbreeding coefficients I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 9:09 pm

Back on advantage, dr. Switzer was using something called ped parser from someplace in Australia. It wasnt to hard to use, and would do as many generations as you wanted. I just don't know how to get it anymore-- it used to be available online for download, but I couldn't find it recently.

Back to top Go down
Mean Spirit

PostSubject: Re: Inbreeding coefficients   Inbreeding coefficients I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 9:09 pm

Back on advantage, dr. Switzer was using something called ped parser from someplace in Australia. It wasnt to hard to use, and would do as many generations as you wanted. I just don't know how to get it anymore-- it used to be available online for download, but I couldn't find it recently.

Back to top Go down
MikeJ

PostSubject: Re: Inbreeding coefficients   Inbreeding coefficients I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 9:37 pm

Last edited by MikeJ on Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kent Powell

PostSubject: Re: Inbreeding coefficients   Inbreeding coefficients I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 10:31 pm

dwight@steadfastbeef.com wrote:
I probably have a bug in my computer, but when I try to use KinTracks my computer goes right to my Peachtree accounting software. What does anybody else use to compute inbreeding coefficients?

Dwight,

I have an older version of compuped:
http://www.compuped.com/

It will calcualte IBC to 30 generations and give other interesting information. Lots of capacity.

Back to top Go down
http://powellangus.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Inbreeding coefficients   Inbreeding coefficients I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Inbreeding coefficients
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Keeney`s Corner :: Breeding Philosophies :: Breeding Philosophies-
Jump to: