Keeney`s Corner
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Good, the Bad, the Ugly Bull Sale

Go down 
+7
Charles
MVCatt
EddieM
Tom D
Kent Powell
Mark Day
MKeeney
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
MKeeney
Admin

The Good, the Bad, the Ugly Bull Sale - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Good, the Bad, the Ugly Bull Sale   The Good, the Bad, the Ugly Bull Sale - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2011 8:33 pm

The Good, the Bad, the Ugly Bull Sale - Page 2 Hodgecow-1
I see it in this little cow`s eyes; she`s yearning for and needs a white bull...at least to be most profitable in my little operation...
help is on the way...

The Good, the Bad, the Ugly Bull Sale - Page 2 Charcalves2

The Good, the Bad, the Ugly Bull Sale - Page 2 Charcalves1

self-sufficiency is the first step on the road to independence... Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
Mark Day

PostSubject: Re: The Good, the Bad, the Ugly Bull Sale   The Good, the Bad, the Ugly Bull Sale - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2011 8:35 pm

Are we allowed to ask what the weight range is for those yearling angus bulls? Shocked
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Good, the Bad, the Ugly Bull Sale   The Good, the Bad, the Ugly Bull Sale - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2011 8:47 pm

Mark Day wrote:
Are we allowed to ask what the weight range is for those yearling angus bulls? Shocked

you can ask anything, but first, let`s discuss why would it matter?

The Good, the Bad, the Ugly Bull Sale - Page 2 Curiositydemotivator
Back to top Go down
Tom D
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Good, the Bad, the Ugly Bull Sale   The Good, the Bad, the Ugly Bull Sale - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2011 8:57 pm

That's why you club them bastards when they're little.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Good, the Bad, the Ugly Bull Sale   The Good, the Bad, the Ugly Bull Sale - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2011 8:59 pm

Mike your bulls look good. I bet people will be pretty damn happy with what they mature to be. A couple years of metamorphosis can yeild amazing results. I too like having steers around the more the merrier. Bulls are pain in the rear ignorant little buggers. If steers get that way they are very easy to cash in.

Ben Loyning, In the vicinity of a herd of pain in the rear ignorant little buggers.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Good, the Bad, the Ugly Bull Sale   The Good, the Bad, the Ugly Bull Sale - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2011 9:14 pm

Ben Loyning wrote:
Mike your bulls look good. I bet people will be pretty damn happy with what they mature to be. A couple years of metamorphosis can yeild amazing results. I too like having steers around the more the merrier. Bulls are pain in the rear ignorant little buggers. If steers get that way they are very easy to cash in.

Ben Loyning, In the vicinity of a herd of pain in the rear ignorant little buggers.

Thanks Ben,
if I had any economic sense about me, I would quit raising bulls... but somewhere deep down inside, there`s a burning ember of ego that would like to think if I quit selling bulls, that somewhere there`s a con man that would be happy because I quit...unlikely I know, but I just can`t let myself chance becoming a source of their happiness...

The Good, the Bad, the Ugly Bull Sale - Page 2 Prioritiesdemotivator
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Good, the Bad, the Ugly Bull Sale   The Good, the Bad, the Ugly Bull Sale - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2011 9:21 pm

Mark Day wrote:

Mark,
I look back 40 years ago to how damn stupid I was thinking cattle shows had significance to genetic improvement...40 years from now, I think breeders may very likely look back and think how damn useless "performance testing" was...I`m of the Bob Howard school; if you are not producing more, from less, you ain`t doing nothing...from that perspective, performance testing ain`t done diddley...oh btw, the bulls weight about 850 to 950...so if the one weighing 850 has a likely yearling weight EPD of 50, the one weighing 950 would be a yw Epd of 150...Call ABS!!! Exclamation
Back to top Go down
Mark Day

PostSubject: Re: The Good, the Bad, the Ugly Bull Sale   The Good, the Bad, the Ugly Bull Sale - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2011 9:29 pm

Quote :

It does not matter, but it does as you have seen many times when the smallest bulls at sales sale for much less if at all sometimes such as a legend like Unwanted. It does not matter when they grow out like Unwanted did. When you have young animals and they seem small but you trust the animals that went into making them (in regards to size anyway) what is too small? I suspect the small ones pictured are from animals no bigger genetically than the parents of my smaller types. If you are breeding a bunch of heifers does it really matter much? I hoped to get mine pictured this weekend but did not get it done...might put them on back 40 now to hide them. Guess I just like watching them grow as bulls as long as possible and trying to learn. I know the little rascals I question my judgement on the most right now spend more time than some others staring at 35 cows and calves on the other side of the fence. How many pounds is that worth? Once a steer only next destination is plate. And like you said, comes back to what you can get sold.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Good, the Bad, the Ugly Bull Sale   The Good, the Bad, the Ugly Bull Sale - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2011 9:30 pm

Bootheel wrote:
Man alive Mike. These pictures must me drawing members like flies to poop. Everytime I log on I see somebody new. It looks like at least one or two of them would pipe up, make fun of us, throw some rocks or shit, slap us around, pat us the back or something. It is making me a little insecure and paranoid.

Bootheel, digging the madness.

Isn`t it wonderful not to have to pretend crazy anymore, just let it be Exclamation Smile
Back to top Go down
Mark Day

PostSubject: Re: The Good, the Bad, the Ugly Bull Sale   The Good, the Bad, the Ugly Bull Sale - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2011 10:00 pm

Quote :
I look back 40 years ago to how damn stupid I was thinking cattle shows had significance to genetic improvement...40 years from now, I think breeders may very likely look back and think how damn useless "performance testing" was

Like you say, always learn more when experience it first hand and maybe shows do test genetic improvement, just not in the traits you have now deemed to be of upmost importance.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Good, the Bad, the Ugly Bull Sale   The Good, the Bad, the Ugly Bull Sale - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2011 10:05 pm

Mark Day wrote:
Quote :

It does not matter, but it does as you have seen many times when the smallest bulls at sales sale for much less if at all sometimes such as a legend like Unwanted. It does not matter when they grow out like Unwanted did. When you have young animals and they seem small but you trust the animals that went into making them (in regards to size anyway) what is too small? I suspect the small ones pictured are from animals no bigger genetically than the parents of my smaller types. If you are breeding a bunch of heifers does it really matter much? I hoped to get mine pictured this weekend but did not get it done...might put them on back 40 now to hide them. Guess I just like watching them grow as bulls as long as possible and trying to learn. I know the little rascals I question my judgement on the most right now spend more time than some others staring at 35 cows and calves on the other side of the fence. How many pounds is that worth? Once a steer only next destination is plate. And like you said, comes back to what you can get sold.

no, not what you can get sold,but how many you can get sold... big difference...I breed what I can use/need...if someone else likes it, a chance for a little premium...if not, commercial profit...the ones that lose their ass lose site of commercial profit as a goal...
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Good, the Bad, the Ugly Bull Sale   The Good, the Bad, the Ugly Bull Sale - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2011 10:08 pm

Mark Day wrote:
Quote :
I look back 40 years ago to how damn stupid I was thinking cattle shows had significance to genetic improvement...40 years from now, I think breeders may very likely look back and think how damn useless "performance testing" was

Like you say, always learn more when experience it first hand and maybe shows do test genetic improvement, just not in the traits you have now deemed to be of upmost importance.
nahhh, shows just test the ability of the fitters...
Back to top Go down
Tom D
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Good, the Bad, the Ugly Bull Sale   The Good, the Bad, the Ugly Bull Sale - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2011 10:11 pm

MKeeney wrote:
Ben Loyning wrote:

Thanks Ben,
if I had any economic sense about me, I would quit raising bulls... but somewhere deep down inside, there`s a burning ember of ego that would like to think if I quit selling bulls, that somewhere there`s a con man that would be happy because I quit...unlikely I know, but I just can`t let myself chance becoming a source of their happiness...

I liked that one too. I'm still waiting for you to use Tradition, Legacy, and Blogging.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Good, the Bad, the Ugly Bull Sale   The Good, the Bad, the Ugly Bull Sale - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2011 10:15 pm

Tom D wrote:
MKeeney wrote:
Ben Loyning wrote:

Thanks Ben,

I liked that one too. I'm still waiting for you to use Tradition, Legacy, and Blogging.
Tom, one hell of a site...I like the motivation introduction, but can`t copy it easily...
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: The Good, the Bad, the Ugly Bull Sale   The Good, the Bad, the Ugly Bull Sale - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2011 10:13 am

Quote :

The other fact to live with, Mark, is that a sorting has already occured. These are the bulls left after others have been steered for various reasons. Your question would be more valid if the entire bull portion of the calf crop was there for your selection.
Back to top Go down
Mark Day

PostSubject: Re: The Good, the Bad, the Ugly Bull Sale   The Good, the Bad, the Ugly Bull Sale - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2011 10:49 am

Quote :
The other fact to live with, Mark, is that a sorting has already occured. These are the bulls left after others have been steered for various reasons. Your question would be more valid if the entire bull portion of the calf crop was there for your selection.

Actually Eddie, nothing has become a steer yet, just sorted with 1 bunch on full feed and intact and other bunch getting hand fed and grass knee high. Still have every heifer too from last Fall's calf crop. Good evaluation times and knowing pedigrees helps. Smile
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: The Good, the Bad, the Ugly Bull Sale   The Good, the Bad, the Ugly Bull Sale - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2011 11:15 am

I'm talking about Mike's photogenic bulls.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Good, the Bad, the Ugly Bull Sale   The Good, the Bad, the Ugly Bull Sale - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2011 11:57 am

EddieM wrote:
I'm talking about Mike's photogenic bulls.
Eddie, photographed may be the correct word instead of photogenic Smile
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: The Good, the Bad, the Ugly Bull Sale   The Good, the Bad, the Ugly Bull Sale - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2011 1:45 pm

I thought for sure I saw a couple of them grinning and telling funny stories about Bootheel.
Back to top Go down
Tom D
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Good, the Bad, the Ugly Bull Sale   The Good, the Bad, the Ugly Bull Sale - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2011 9:06 pm

The Good, the Bad, the Ugly Bull Sale - Page 2 Keeneyposter
Back to top Go down
MVCatt

PostSubject: Re: The Good, the Bad, the Ugly Bull Sale   The Good, the Bad, the Ugly Bull Sale - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 19, 2011 7:55 pm

After watching the News tonight, with all of this exotic game on the loose I'm not sure how this bull drop off at Charles' place in Ohio is gonna go. I'm thinking about slowing down a little and just kicking the trailer door open, the bulls on his own at that point. Instead probably just have the wife riding shotgun, she's a dead eye. The only problem is figuring out which caliber to pack.
Back to top Go down
Mark Day

PostSubject: Re: The Good, the Bad, the Ugly Bull Sale   The Good, the Bad, the Ugly Bull Sale - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 19, 2011 10:11 pm

Sounds like it got more than a little crazy up there. Amazing they found them all that fast in that country.
Back to top Go down
Charles

PostSubject: Re: The Good, the Bad, the Ugly Bull Sale   The Good, the Bad, the Ugly Bull Sale - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 19, 2011 10:35 pm

E. Ohio is a wild, wild place. Not to worry, all the exotic animals have been destroyed, now it's just the hillbillys on the loose. I thought I might have to carry the .270 on the Minneapolis Moline while chopping corn today. I suspect many of the animals were shot close to their cages.
Back to top Go down
MVCatt

PostSubject: Re: The Good, the Bad, the Ugly Bull Sale   The Good, the Bad, the Ugly Bull Sale - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2011 5:09 pm

Mike,
Thanks for the great visit. Your time and insight mean more to me than you know. Glad to see you got some medical attention (Jesse was especially worried). We're just getting this thing started, and we can't afford to have you leaving the party early. We really enjoyed dinner conversation with your "Homegirl", her sharp wit compliments you perfectly. We chuckled a few times on the way home about the "Odd Couple". Seem like total opposites but I think they might be perfect for each other. Hope Ronnie saved some of the grilled sheep for everyone else at the party. Laughing
Put Nubbin out in the front pasture for all my neighbors (total of 2) to see. I'm not sure that I'm the right person for this project. I think it would have been more entertaining, had you chosen someone with higher expectations. Anyway thanks again. Chris
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Good, the Bad, the Ugly Bull Sale   The Good, the Bad, the Ugly Bull Sale - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 23, 2011 5:37 pm

MVCatt wrote:
Mike,
Thanks for the great visit. Your time and insight mean more to me than you know. Glad to see you got some medical attention (Jesse was especially worried). We're just getting this thing started, and we can't afford to have you leaving the party early. We really enjoyed dinner conversation with your "Homegirl", her sharp wit compliments you perfectly. We chuckled a few times on the way home about the "Odd Couple". Seem like total opposites but I think they might be perfect for each other. Hope Ronnie saved some of the grilled sheep for everyone else at the party. Laughing
Put Nubbin out in the front pasture for all my neighbors (total of 2) to see. I'm not sure that I'm the right person for this project. I think it would have been more entertaining, had you chosen someone with higher expectations. Anyway thanks again. Chris
Chris,
The pleasure was all mine; I know you are right for the project; I just hope the bull is...and I`m plenty confident that he is...because you have realistic expectations, and don`t have to impress but two neighbors Smile
I wish you guys could have stayed another day for the fun party; Ronnie can actually dance on the floor Exclamation But Glennie, Glennie can glide across the floor in low or high speed...
Tell Jesse I thought of her last night; we came back to the house for a little wine tasting with Ronnie and Glennie, and another couple...I looked at the clock, and it said 8:45 PM...just like Jesse on Friday night when she left the restaurant after having been up since 3 am ; I thought it should have been close to midnight Exclamation
We must dream up excuses for more mini-gatherings; this party has just begun, and there is plenty of talent out there to be the life of this new and ongoing party for a long, long time...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Good, the Bad, the Ugly Bull Sale   The Good, the Bad, the Ugly Bull Sale - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Good, the Bad, the Ugly Bull Sale
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next