Keeney`s Corner
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

reasons to discontinue papers

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
larkota

reasons to discontinue papers Empty
PostSubject: reasons to discontinue papers   reasons to discontinue papers I_icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2012 11:46 am

with all the goings on at disadvantage, thought we might come up with a David Letterman type list to show why papers are out dated for a successful breeder. dont be afraid to add or change the order.

1. if I pulled all the tags on my calves you could not tell which ones came from papered cows or commercial cows.

2 have commercial cows that will out profit papered cows.

3. if linebred documented parentage is a none issue.

4. how many papered cattle are what they say they are?

5. papered cows get second chance, commercial cows one strike your out.

6. good is in the population not an individual.

7. tired of testing, and testing, and testing to hold on to paper.

8. to much of a tax.

9. know more about my cows then what any paper might say.

10. tired of dealing with all the BS

reasons for papers

1. still thinking

Back to top Go down
Kent Powell

PostSubject: Re: reasons to discontinue papers   reasons to discontinue papers I_icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2012 1:35 pm

If you drop papers because of something that goes on in a computer forum, it is not the right reason. What you keep or don't keep on your cattle is your business.

So is knowing who to associate with and who to avoid. There were two people who insisted on representing the quo on my old board and made it worthless, so I killed it.

Nothing has changed, and one of them is still at the forefront. From my perspective, It is time to close the meetings in regard to that which is important.
Back to top Go down
http://powellangus.com
df

PostSubject: Re: reasons to discontinue papers   reasons to discontinue papers I_icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2012 4:45 pm

larkota,

I think there are several examples that support this idea. Beyond the swine and poultry industry, there are several examples in the beef industry. The most notable that I can think of is Jorgensens. I wonder how many thousands of bulls they have leased out, then sold that were simply supported by the name "Jorgensen"? I remember discussions of being the "wal-mart" of the cattle business and thinking "why would you want to sell at a low price when people will pay more"? That was 20 years ago. I have a different outlook now!!

BTW, even in the poultry industry, there are good and "bad" lines. The Cobb 700 is replacing the Cobb 500. The improvement is ongoing. Nutrition research needs to be on the new line and not the old line.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: reasons to discontinue papers   reasons to discontinue papers I_icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2012 10:43 pm

You need papers to be a participant in the registered cattle business; you don`t need registration papers to be a cattle breeder; or to be a participant in the cattle breeding business...you need good popular papers in the registered cattle business; you need good cattle in the breeding business. You need some extra money in the registered cattle business; you need some time, maybe lots of time, in the cattle breeding business...you`ll have to create your own reputation in the cattle breeding business; the AAA will do that for you in the registered cattle business; for a fee...
you must choose freedom over security to be a cattle breeder without papers...for registration papers come with mob rule {maybe by circumventing the mob by "elite" rule, eh Robert Smile ? }
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: reasons to discontinue papers   reasons to discontinue papers I_icon_minitimeFri May 25, 2012 11:02 pm

df wrote:
larkota,

I think there are several examples that support this idea. Beyond the swine and poultry industry, there are several examples in the beef industry. The most notable that I can think of is Jorgensens. I wonder how many thousands of bulls they have leased out, then sold that were simply supported by the name "Jorgensen"? I remember discussions of being the "wal-mart" of the cattle business and thinking "why would you want to sell at a low price when people will pay more"? That was 20 years ago. I have a different outlook now!!

BTW, even in the poultry industry, there are good and "bad" lines. The Cobb 700 is replacing the Cobb 500. The improvement is ongoing. Nutrition research needs to be on the new line and not the old line.

jorgenson at first glance seems less than enough given how they`ve hopped about as needed for genes and heterosis...but since the search and selection is always for terminal traits, I think you are correct...the name alone is good enough...though the pedigrees might vary significantly...
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: reasons to discontinue papers   reasons to discontinue papers I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

reasons to discontinue papers
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Keeney`s Corner :: Breeding Philosophies :: Breeding Philosophies-
Jump to: