Keeney`s Corner
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

genex A.I. vs. the bull

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
larkota

genex A.I. vs. the bull Empty
PostSubject: genex A.I. vs. the bull   genex A.I. vs. the bull I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 9:07 am

what a load of crap. Genex is now targeting the commercial man with a dog and pony show.
Back to top Go down
PatB

PostSubject: Re: genex A.I. vs. the bull   genex A.I. vs. the bull I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 11:54 am

The numbers may change in the last several years but GENEX targeting of the commercial markey hasn't.
Back to top Go down
larkota

PostSubject: cost of calf   genex A.I. vs. the bull I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 3:36 pm

now that I have calmed down. this was out of beef horizons written by Wille Altenburg who states this is only a guide.

$5000 bull cost
$500 10% lifetime risk (death, injury, loss of use)
$1800 salvage value ( 2000 lbs. x $0.90)
$3700 gross cost of bull

$150 pasture cost
$300 winter feed
$100 other cost (fencing and corrals)
$150 vet ( semen testing, vaccine, trich test)
$700 total cost/year

25 - annual # of cows per bull
23 - # of preg per year
3 - average # of years of bull use
69 - # of calves born per lifetime of bull

$3700 gross cost of bull
$2100 annual cost per year ($700)x 3 years
$5800 total bull cost

$5800 divide 69 calves = $84.06 cost per calf

synchronization system
7 day CO-Synch + CIDR

$17 ($10 CIDR + $2.50 Prostaglandin + $2.25 x 2 GrNH)
$8.00 insemination fee
$17.00 semen cost
$42.00 Total cost

100 females
60% conception rate
60 calves

$42.00 divide .60 =$70.00
Total cost per AI Pregnancy

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: genex A.I. vs. the bull   genex A.I. vs. the bull I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 3:46 pm

What does it cost to cull 40 % of your cows every year? Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: genex A.I. vs. the bull   genex A.I. vs. the bull I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 4:07 pm

And then 40 percent are all back in heat in two days....so AI them again or spread the exact same amount of bulls over less cows. Meaning it really just cost you 140 dollars per calf.

Yeah I saw it last night and used it as a portable urinal, figuring all the sway backed corn feds could store up alot of pissing in the wind.
Back to top Go down
larkota

PostSubject: Re: genex A.I. vs. the bull   genex A.I. vs. the bull I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 4:21 pm

I wonder if this is the same toolbox most beginers are given and yet we are to blame ourself once we grow up, according to T Post.

mighty spendy bulls to begin with, at that price should be covered with warranty, or a guarantee.

what about all the help to run cow threw 3 times, and working yards, guess the fencing for bulls are suppose to cover that also.

WHAT A LOAD OF CRAP
Back to top Go down
PatB

PostSubject: Re: genex A.I. vs. the bull   genex A.I. vs. the bull I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 4:48 pm

larkota wrote:
now that I have calmed down. this was out of beef horizons written by Wille Altenburg who states this is only a guide.

$5000 bull cost
$3700 gross cost of bull

$150 pasture cost
$300 winter feed
$700 total cost/year

23 - # of preg per year

$3700 gross cost of bull
$5800 total bull cost

synchronization system
7 day CO-Synch + CIDR

$8.00 insemination fee
$17.00 semen cost
$42.00 Total cost

100 females
60% conception rate
60 calves

I do not see the cost of LN fill of the semen tank at $120 plus a year. I do not see the cost of AI tech at $10 plus per animal. How much of their beef semen is sold for $17 or under? I did not see a charge for trucking purchase bull to farm. If I bought one of Jack's bull the trucking maybe more than the purchase price of the bull. AI is a cost effective option to bring in new genetics and makes biosecurity easier. The trouble is getting those with the genetics you would like to use to collect the bulls and sell semen. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
df

PostSubject: Re: genex A.I. vs. the bull   genex A.I. vs. the bull I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 6:09 pm

larkota wrote:
I wonder if this is the same toolbox most beginers are given and yet we are to blame ourself once we grow up, according to T Post.

mighty spendy bulls to begin with, at that price should be covered with warranty, or a guarantee.

what about all the help to run cow threw 3 times, and working yards, guess the fencing for bulls are suppose to cover that also.

WHAT A LOAD OF CRAP

How much more does it cost to use AI vs using a bull?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: genex A.I. vs. the bull   genex A.I. vs. the bull I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 9:41 pm

PatB wrote:
larkota wrote:

$5000 bull cost
$3700 gross cost of bull

$150 pasture cost
$300 winter feed
$700 total cost/year

23 - # of preg per year

$3700 gross cost of bull
$5800 total bull cost

synchronization system
7 day CO-Synch + CIDR

$8.00 insemination fee
$17.00 semen cost
$42.00 Total cost

100 females
60% conception rate
60 calves

I do not see the cost of LN fill of the semen tank at $120 plus a year. I do not see the cost of AI tech at $10 plus per animal. How much of their beef semen is sold for $17 or under? I did not see a charge for trucking purchase bull to farm. If I bought one of Jack's bull the trucking maybe more than the purchase price of the bull. AI is a cost effective option to bring in new genetics and makes biosecurity easier. The trouble is getting those with the genetics you would like to use to collect the bulls and sell semen. Very Happy

Pat those are imaginary cost's that you were not suppose to know about. .....But look at the bright side the Bull Sh** is totally free What a Face What a Face
Back to top Go down
df

PostSubject: Re: genex A.I. vs. the bull   genex A.I. vs. the bull I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2012 7:29 am

PatB wrote:
larkota wrote:

$5000 bull cost
$3700 gross cost of bull

$150 pasture cost
$300 winter feed
$700 total cost/year

23 - # of preg per year

$3700 gross cost of bull
$5800 total bull cost

synchronization system
7 day CO-Synch + CIDR

$8.00 insemination fee
$17.00 semen cost
$42.00 Total cost

100 females
60% conception rate
60 calves

I think the AI tech is the $8/hd insemination fee and, if he brings the semen to you on the day of breeding, the LN fill is his cost and not yours. I agree his semen cost is a bit low and there are other costs not accounted for in his example. The example is a bit too simplistic but it is a start towards thinking about the cost of AI vs a bull.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: genex A.I. vs. the bull   genex A.I. vs. the bull I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2012 7:51 am

PatB wrote:
larkota wrote:

$5000 bull cost
$3700 gross cost of bull

$150 pasture cost
$300 winter feed
$700 total cost/year

23 - # of preg per year

$3700 gross cost of bull
$5800 total bull cost

synchronization system
7 day CO-Synch + CIDR

$8.00 insemination fee
$17.00 semen cost
$42.00 Total cost

100 females
60% conception rate
60 calves

Pat free shipping anywhere in the US and Canada on all bulls that bring $100,001.42 or more.
Back to top Go down
Kent Powell

PostSubject: Re: genex A.I. vs. the bull   genex A.I. vs. the bull I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2012 8:10 am

df wrote:

I think the AI tech is the $8/hd insemination fee and, if he brings the semen to you on the day of breeding, the LN fill is his cost and not yours. I agree his semen cost is a bit low and there are other costs not accounted for in his example. The example is a bit too simplistic but it is a start towards thinking about the cost of AI vs a bull.

Under the assumption a start toward that thinking is necessary. I cannot think of a bull in a stud that would serve any purpose to me other than curiousity.
Back to top Go down
http://powellangus.com
PatB

PostSubject: Re: genex A.I. vs. the bull   genex A.I. vs. the bull I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2012 8:58 am

Kent Powell wrote:
df wrote:

Under the assumption a start toward that thinking is necessary. I cannot think of a bull in a stud that would serve any purpose to me other than curiousity.

Kent

You do not have to buy the semen from the stud to use AI. I beleive you have semen for sale on some of your bulls and others here may as well. I know I have purchased semen from Robert in the past and will in the future if he collects a certian bull. I wish the AI tech fee was only $8 per animal but then it has not been that here for at least 15 years. GENEX has withdrawn AI tech service to my area of the state and arm service is provided by ex genex employee for now. AI is another tool to be used.
Back to top Go down
larkota

PostSubject: Re: genex A.I. vs. the bull   genex A.I. vs. the bull I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2012 9:16 am

what is the cost and headache to sort and run cows through the chute 3 times?
$5000 bulls, most I have spent the last 3 years is half of that, plus now I just run mostly home raised bulls.

this was not targeted to Reg people it was targeting commercial men because of high prized bulls being sold today.

as MK would say the trick is not spending to much on the bull in the first place.
Back to top Go down
df

PostSubject: Re: genex A.I. vs. the bull   genex A.I. vs. the bull I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2012 11:48 am

larkota wrote:

what is the cost and headache to sort and run cows through the chute 3 times?
$5000 bulls, most I have spent the last 3 years is half of that, plus now I just run mostly home raised bulls.

this was not targeted to Reg people it was targeting commercial men because of high prized bulls being sold today.

as MK would say the trick is not spending to much on the bull in the first place.

Does it matter if the target was Reg vs commercial cattlemen?
Back to top Go down
df

PostSubject: Re: genex A.I. vs. the bull   genex A.I. vs. the bull I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2012 11:55 am

Kent Powell wrote:
df wrote:

What if................you could AI for $10/hd to the best bull(s) in the world..............or you could raise grandsons of the best bull(s) in the world (because you don't AI)............or you could buy sons of the best bull(s) in the world?

I know what you are getting at and it is a good point. My point is producers should consider buying a bull vs. AI as a tool to get the best, most profitable genetics. For the majority, buying the bull makes (lots) more sense.
Back to top Go down
Kent Powell

PostSubject: Re: genex A.I. vs. the bull   genex A.I. vs. the bull I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2012 12:26 pm

I have the best bulls in the world, for my purposes, ready to breed all by themselves. I have semen available so others can use the best bulls in the world, if they have the need for my genetics.
Back to top Go down
http://powellangus.com
larkota

PostSubject: Re: genex A.I. vs. the bull   genex A.I. vs. the bull I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2012 12:30 pm

Kent Powell wrote:
I have the best bulls in the world, for my purposes, ready to breed all by themselves. I have semen available so others can use the best bulls in the world, if they have the need for my genetics.

or you can buy Kent's old PHD proven bulls for alittle over lb price.

no work no worries or work smart not hard
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: genex A.I. vs. the bull   genex A.I. vs. the bull I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

genex A.I. vs. the bull
Page 1 of 1