Keeney`s Corner
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Visit to Keeney angus

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

Visit to Keeney angus Empty
PostSubject: Visit to Keeney angus   Visit to Keeney angus I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 01, 2010 8:26 am

My brother, my Son, Gary Kaper and I spent Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning looking at the entire Keeney Angus herd.... and spent Saturday night at the Keeney Hotel. Smile Many of you have seen pictures of the cattle that Mike breeds, but I will tell you that if you have not seen them in person, it is a trip that you should make...

We saw all the cattle. Mike spent the time talking with us and furthering our education on where he is going, what he is wanting to do and how he is trying to assemble all of the parts that he has accumulated. A lot of information was gathered and to be perfectly honest, it is kinda hard for me to put into words all of my impressions that I have. I know that I can say this... It is where I want to go with my cattle breeding efforts. As the commercial says... I want to be like Mike... Smile

My brother was completely indifferent to cattle and farming in general when we were young, but here lately, an interest has rekindled. My primary motivation in inviting him along was to spend some time with him, as we now live a couple of hours apart. To say the least, he was taken with Mike and what he saw there. He really liked Mike's Charolais cattle. Like me he sees something worth while in listening to someone that wants to get out of bed in the morning and Clearly is excited to be doing what he is doing and going where he is going... When we got back last night, he was asking when we could go back again.

3 highlights for me, was to see Unwanted, Louie and Sniffy. And to see their mothers and sisters and daughters and sons. The retraining of my cattle eye is well under way and I am beginning to get a glimmer of an understanding of what I need to do. The cows there in the pastures are what you see pictured. Mike was critical of many of them and I was sitting there thinking that I would be proud to own most all of them...

As we were looking at this year's weaned calf crop. I was struck by the uniformity and "goodness" of the calves... Wow. For those who blather on about lack of performance, you are dead wrong. That was as good a group of Angus calves at weaning as I have ever seen and I have seen a few, and it was in spite of a dry summer and a tough year for cattle.

Anyway, if you haven't been, you should go and I guarantee that you will learn something.

Thanks Mike for the hospitality, you are indeed a gracious host.
Back to top Go down
Double B

Double B

PostSubject: Re: Visit to Keeney angus   Visit to Keeney angus I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 01, 2010 1:12 pm

Did you go akers sale? Do you know where the 736K cow ended up?

I would also like to say I enjoyed my tours at Mikes this past spring very much.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Visit to Keeney angus   Visit to Keeney angus I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 01, 2010 1:48 pm

No, we only went to Mike's place, and I wish we could have spent more time there.
Back to top Go down
Tom D
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Visit to Keeney angus   Visit to Keeney angus I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 01, 2010 4:45 pm

How'd you all fit in the old pickup?
Back to top Go down
shilow angus

PostSubject: Re: Visit to Keeney angus   Visit to Keeney angus I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 01, 2010 7:45 pm

Tom D wrote:

Laughing Laughing

I'm over due for my yearly refresher course Very Happy
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Visit to Keeney angus   Visit to Keeney angus I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 01, 2010 8:05 pm

Tom D wrote:
I like rich visitors; they come in club cab pickups and we use it and they burn their gas...I did spring for dinner; and had a great time...yelp, I talked plenty; my grouper sandwich was only 1/4 eaten when I noticed Greg`s clean plate Smile
A committee of college kids and their advisor are coming to select a bull for the college herd in a couple of weeks; I can`t wait to give them some things to think about Smile though it might cost me a bull sale; it`ll be worth every penny.
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com

PostSubject: Re: Visit to Keeney angus   Visit to Keeney angus I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 01, 2010 8:07 pm

Tom D wrote:
I like rich visitors; they come in club cab pickups and we use it and they burn their gas...I did spring for dinner; and had a great time...yelp, I talked plenty; my grouper sandwich was only 1/4 eaten when I noticed Greg`s clean plate Smile
A committee of college kids and their advisor are coming to select a bull for the college herd in a couple of weeks; I can`t wait to give them some things to think about Smile though it might cost me a bull sale; it`ll be worth every penny.

The pickup truck belongs to my son and he paid for it with his cattle sales, I drive a 15 year old S10 that we sure as heck couldn't have fit into. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Visit to Keeney angus   Visit to Keeney angus I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Visit to Keeney angus
Page 1 of 1