Keeney`s Corner
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Wye catalog

Go down 
+21
Mean Spirit
pukerimu
Bob H
Chad Chisholm
Larry Leonhardt
Kent Powell
Angus 62
RobertMac
Tom D
PatB
larkota
jhudson
mikejd4020
LCP
chocolate cow
robert
whitecow
Danny Miller
OAK LANE FARM
df
R V
25 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
MKeeney
Admin

Wye catalog Empty
PostSubject: Wye catalog   Wye catalog I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 7:56 am

looked through Eddie`s comments etc...plugged in the IBC`S on the AAA 4 or 5 generation pedigree analysis for a comparison sake...AAA shows the inbreeding about 1/2 the catalog listing; which must encompass many generations...
video at
http://wyeangus.umd.edu/Annual%20Sale.cfm
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
chocolate cow

Wye catalog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wye catalog   Wye catalog I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 10:20 am

I'd believe a lie from Eddie before the truth from the AAA.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

Wye catalog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wye catalog   Wye catalog I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 12:31 pm

chocolate cow wrote:
no, no...no implication of being Wye wrong...it`s just an indication that AAA doesn`t go to great lengths to totally accurate...but understandable, given the demand for such...
Back to top Go down
Mean Spirit

Wye catalog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wye catalog   Wye catalog I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 7:44 pm

AAA's limitation to the first few generations must discount the IBCs in the Wye herd unfairly. I think stopping at 4 or 5 generations generally makes sense-- a common ancestor that appears twice in the sixth generation is probably not too important. But when a common ancestor, like Puck, shows up 40, 50, 100 times in a pedigree, it probably is worth quantifying.
Back to top Go down
chocolate cow

Wye catalog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wye catalog   Wye catalog I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 8:31 pm

I'm not saying Wye is wrong. I'm saying I'd believe a lie from Eddie before I'd believe anything from AAA. Tis is season for elite bulls which are the best we've ever raised and are cream of the crop with outstanding performance & maternal qualities all in one package these superior genetics are being offered from our champion pen at Denver. I'm a LITTLE sick of it. Last night I noticed my brother drank a healthy dose of Kool-aid and spent $17,000 on two bulls at Lyons Angus sale. I laughed. Anybody wanna bet what sort of calves those bulls will sire?
Back to top Go down
jonken

Wye catalog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wye catalog   Wye catalog I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 9:07 pm

Mean Spirit wrote:
AAA's limitation to the first few generations must discount the IBCs in the Wye herd unfairly. I think stopping at 4 or 5 generations generally makes sense-- a common ancestor that appears twice in the sixth generation is probably not too important. But when a common ancestor, like Puck, shows up 40, 50, 100 times in a pedigree, it probably is worth quantifying.

MS , How would you know if an animal appeared 40,50,or 100 times if you stopped at 4-5 generations ? An ancestor that appears twice in 6 generations means something to me .....if it's still alive . Jon
Back to top Go down
EddieM

Wye catalog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wye catalog   Wye catalog I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 9:18 pm

Quote :

If a large belted galloway can be CAB, the truth left AAA a long time ago.

The Wye bulls being offered this go round struck me as less uniform than some years. Might be the pictures in the catalog. I'll look at the video at some point.
Back to top Go down
PatB

Wye catalog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wye catalog   Wye catalog I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2012 7:07 am

EddieM wrote:
Quote :

If a large belted galloway can be CAB, the truth left AAA a long time ago.

The Wye bulls being offered this go round struck me as less uniform than some years. Might be the pictures in the catalog. I'll look at the video at some point.

The beltie herd may be 1/2 angus. I know at one time some of the beltie breeders were using angus cows and breeding them to beltie bulls and registering the offspring in the appdendix herd book if they had the correct belt.

Back to top Go down
EddieM

Wye catalog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wye catalog   Wye catalog I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2012 8:34 am

Quote :
The beltie herd may be 1/2 angus. I know at one time some of the beltie breeders were using angus cows and breeding them to beltie bulls and registering the offspring in the appdendix herd book if they had the correct belt.

I think that you missed my point.
Back to top Go down

Wye catalog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wye catalog   Wye catalog I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2012 9:06 am

chocolate cow wrote:
I'm not saying Wye is wrong. I'm saying I'd believe a lie from Eddie before I'd believe anything from AAA. Tis is season for elite bulls which are the best we've ever raised and are cream of the crop with outstanding performance & maternal qualities all in one package these superior genetics are being offered from our champion pen at Denver. I'm a LITTLE sick of it. Last night I noticed my brother drank a healthy dose of Kool-aid and spent $17,000 on two bulls at Lyons Angus sale. I laughed. Anybody wanna bet what sort of calves those bulls will sire?

I'm with you CC. Don't think Eddie could tell a lie and I don't think AAA knows what the truth is any more. All of these bull sale ads are like birds vying for mates crossed with a Jr. High popularity contest. Look at me dance, look at my pretty plumage. Mine is the prettiest. Look at my sale average. Oh they like me, they really like me. SQUAWK SQUAWK SQUAWK!!!

Jack
Back to top Go down
larkota

Wye catalog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wye catalog   Wye catalog I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2012 9:25 am

Jack McNamee wrote:
chocolate cow wrote:

I'm with you CC. Don't think Eddie could tell a lie and I don't think AAA knows what the truth is any more. All of these bull sale ads are like birds vying for mates crossed with a Jr. High popularity contest. Look at me dance, look at my pretty plumage. Mine is the prettiest. Look at my sale average. Oh they like me, they really like me. SQUAWK SQUAWK SQUAWK!!!

Jack

what's sad is SQUAWK SQUAWK SQUAWK!!! is paying.

larkota looking like the loser at the school dance sitting alone picking his nose.
Back to top Go down
Tom D
Admin

Wye catalog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wye catalog   Wye catalog I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2012 12:48 pm

Booger Picker,

The cheerleader will get knocked up and get fat, and the jock that stole her from you will end up selling used cars. I've seen it play out a hundred times.

TD, a real SOB at class reunions.
Back to top Go down

Wye catalog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wye catalog   Wye catalog I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2012 1:55 pm

So Tom can we call Larkota Ole Booger picker Larsen now..... Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down

Wye catalog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wye catalog   Wye catalog I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2012 8:57 pm

Tom D wrote:
Booger Picker,

The cheerleader will get knocked up and get fat, and the jock that stole her from you will end up selling used cars. I've seen it play out a hundred times.

TD, a real SOB at class reunions.

Within 7 years.
Back to top Go down
larkota

Wye catalog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wye catalog   Wye catalog I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 10, 2012 9:43 am

W.T wrote:

I am better at picking boogers, then bulls. hell just last nite I says dear [ thats what I call my wife] dear come take a look at this one.
Back to top Go down
Tom D
Admin

Wye catalog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wye catalog   Wye catalog I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 10, 2012 9:53 am

Briannnnn, she sounds like a good, honest woman. Like I always say, it's important to have a good, honest woman. She's the foundation for a good salt of the earth family, and there's not much in this old life much more better than a good family. Does your operation have a website? I'd like to see some pictures of your bulls so that I can tell you they look nice. Every breeder should have a good website to explain his program to his good salt of the earth commercial cattlemen customers that all live within 30 miles of him, I always say.

Big Tom
Back to top Go down

Wye catalog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wye catalog   Wye catalog I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 10, 2012 9:53 am

larkota wrote:
W.T wrote:

I am better at picking boogers, then bulls. hell just last nite I says dear [ thats what I call my wife] dear come take a look at this one.

Well did she look Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
larkota

Wye catalog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wye catalog   Wye catalog I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 10, 2012 10:15 am

Tom D wrote:
Briannnnn, she sounds like a good, honest woman. Like I always say, it's important to have a good, honest woman. She's the foundation for a good salt of the earth family, and there's not much in this old life much more better than a good family. Does your operation have a website? I'd like to see some pictures of your bulls so that I can tell you they look nice. Every breeder should have a good website to explain his program to his good salt of the earth commercial cattlemen customers that all live within 30 miles of him, I always say.

Big Tom

website?? is that like Farmer in the Dell ???

I dont need no stinkin website. just google larkota. all sorts of weird chit I've done, 20 pages and counting.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

Wye catalog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wye catalog   Wye catalog I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 6:59 am

Eddie writes about lot 45 saying it would be hard to find a pedigree with two of their best cows as both paternal and maternal grand dams...my first impression was "well, why aren`t you making it happen more often"? afterall, it is not random mating...why not make the same good cow both paternal and maternal grand dams?
I look at the pedigrees in the Wye book and prove my own point about pedigrees...meaningless other than inbreeding level to anyone not closely familiar with the characteristics of the individuals in the pedigree...my new saying has not gone over too well...Pedigrees have made bigger fools of people than made better cattle.....but as the Jimmer would say, it`s not the fault of the tool, but of the user...be the tool a pedigree, epd, or T-post... Smile
Back to top Go down
df

Wye catalog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wye catalog   Wye catalog I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2012 12:36 pm

MKeeney wrote:
Eddie writes about lot 45 saying it would be hard to find a pedigree with two of their best cows as both paternal and maternal grand dams...my first impression was "well, why aren`t you making it happen more often"? afterall, it is not random mating...why not make the same good cow both paternal and maternal grand dams?
I look at the pedigrees in the Wye book and prove my own point about pedigrees...meaningless other than inbreeding level to anyone not closely familiar with the characteristics of the individuals in the pedigree...my new saying has not gone over too well...Pedigrees have made bigger fools of people than made better cattle.....but as the Jimmer would say, it`s not the fault of the tool, but of the user...be the tool a pedigree, epd, or T-post... Smile

I expected higher inbreeding coefficients, considering the length of time it has been a closed herd and all the talk of inbreeding.

On another note, Jorgensen's sale catalog also list inbreeding coefficients.

Listing IBC; trend or just a fad?
Back to top Go down
EddieM

Wye catalog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wye catalog   Wye catalog I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 9:59 am

Quote :

Does it really mean anything if they never reach a level to matter?
Back to top Go down
df

Wye catalog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wye catalog   Wye catalog I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 11:52 am

EddieM wrote:
Quote :

Good question. At what level does it matter?
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

Wye catalog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wye catalog   Wye catalog I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 12:47 pm

df wrote:
EddieM wrote:
Quote :

when the level results in more consistency...so they already matter...addressing the earlier point, to get higher levels of potential homozygousity, you have to get the same individual up close in the pedigree...
Back to top Go down
df

Wye catalog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wye catalog   Wye catalog I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 4:35 pm

MKeeney wrote:
df wrote:
EddieM wrote:
Quote :

when the level results in more consistency...so they already matter...addressing the earlier point, to get higher levels of potential homozygousity, you have to get the same individual up close in the pedigree...

Is 20% inbred 2X of 10% inbred? Or is it not that important until the bull is 30% inbred? Shocked
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

Wye catalog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wye catalog   Wye catalog I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2012 8:54 pm

df,
I hope your students pay closer attention in class than you do...that`s been discussed several times here...in fact, there`s a chart in Reflections; read until you find it; it`ll do you good...
jonken was right...who has patience???? not I...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Wye catalog Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wye catalog   Wye catalog I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wye catalog
Page 1 of 7Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Keeney`s Corner :: Advertise :: For Sale-
Jump to: