Keeney`s Corner
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Too small.--How small.

Go down 
+11
larkota
Hilly
rross
Tom D
PatB
Angus 62
Grassfarmer
EddieM
Lucky_P
MKeeney
mikejd4020
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
MKeeney
Admin

Too small.--How small. - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too small.--How small.   Too small.--How small. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2012 12:49 pm

JSelte wrote:
mikejd4020 wrote:
This is about the average of what I have.
Too small.--How small. - Page 3 DSC00269-2

This is kind of what I want. I think she is a 05 model.
Too small.--How small. - Page 3 DSC00278-2

The problem is, it seems I am getting to much of these. Now this is an extreme headed to Micky D's example.
Too small.--How small. - Page 3 DSC00289-1

I don't know what is wrong with the cow in the last picture. I think half of it is her fault and 75% of it is my fault.

Mike

Being new, young, and naive I am not sure if I can add much, but I have two ideas that have crossed my mind.

1. There has been discussion about metabolic size. Could this be part of the problem? She looks like the average but requires more than her fair share of the food in order to stay in the herd. If you have selected for the high milk production refer to Grassfarmer's post, because it sounds like that could be a majority of the answer.

2. The other idea that comes to mind for me is the surface area required to maintain. If we follow nature, there is an average surface area required by animals to survive the winter. It is the reason the deer in my area are larger than the deer in yours. Is there much difference in the general build of the cattle? Is the "failure" cow narrower or shorter or longer than the average cattle you raise?

Like I said new and young, so may be lost already! pale
Welcome Justin...Daniel Boone, Ky pioneer and explorer said,

I have never been lost, but I will admit to being confused for several weeks

If you`ve never been confused breeding cattle; you `ve never bred any Smile it`s well documented animals get bigger in colder weather, I suppose I should google up an answer why Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Too small.--How small.   Too small.--How small. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2012 2:22 am

I got a note from Mark somewhere about calves by the sire of the cow pictured; small etc...

Too small.--How small. - Page 3 153-18-1

there`s a right kind of small; and a right amount of milk...the picture is not the best, but this cow is as good as I got...and as I said before, tons of semen have been sold on bulls smaller and not as good as her sire

Too small.--How small. - Page 3 100_3869

can we stand small steers to get smaller cows that raise a high percentage of body weight when mated terminally? We can in a system where the small calves, cows to be, are born from heifers...
and when grandma looked like this at 15 and produced past 18...
Too small.--How small. - Page 3 153

Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
AlaBill

PostSubject: Re: Too small.--How small.   Too small.--How small. - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2012 6:24 am

I would take a whole pasture of cows that looked like that Blythe Maker Daughter Very Happy Very Happy Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Too small.--How small.   Too small.--How small. - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Too small.--How small.
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Keeney`s Corner :: Breeding Philosophies :: Breeding Philosophies-
Jump to: