Keeney`s Corner
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Gene study shows sheep not inbred fools

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Kent Powell

Gene study shows sheep not inbred fools Empty
PostSubject: Gene study shows sheep not inbred fools   Gene study shows sheep not inbred fools I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 12:05 am

Back to top Go down
http://powellangus.com
G nome

PostSubject: Re: Gene study shows sheep not inbred fools   Gene study shows sheep not inbred fools I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 3:24 pm

Well, the article is half right. Better then weathermen used to be on channel 4. It must pain this author to admit there are separate breeds of sheep at all!
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: Gene study shows sheep not inbred fools   Gene study shows sheep not inbred fools I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 9:59 am

Quote :
But the main goal of sheep breeding over time appears to be the removal of horns.

"When we looked into the data we could see that there was a single gene that causes absence or presence of horns," says Kijas.

"The absence of horns is a highly desirable attribute that sheep breeders have been breeding into their animals for many hundreds of years and its left this detectable signature that we were able to find in the data."

Australian sheep growers could use selective breeding practices to eventually phase out mulesing, says Kijas. Mulesing, which involves removing flaps of skin from the rear of sheep to prevent flystrike, is considered by some as an unnecessary painful procedure.

I find this to be odd. The main goal in sheep breeding, moving from wild to domestic was to move the wild hair sheep into being domesticated wool sheep. Maybe they are only dealing with the traits after domestication.

The wrinkle issue is more based on ease of shearing, I've read. Fly strikes are sure to be a part of that but I guess all that I have read before was skewed towards the practical issue. The article generally makes the Merino appear to be a mongrel breed.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gene study shows sheep not inbred fools   Gene study shows sheep not inbred fools I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gene study shows sheep not inbred fools
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Keeney`s Corner :: Breeding Philosophies :: Breeding Philosophies-
Jump to: