Keeney`s Corner
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What would happen.

Go down 
+6
MKeeney
df
Grassfarmer
EddieM
larkota
Bob H
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
df

What would happen. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What would happen.    What would happen. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 6:36 am

Bob H wrote:
Sorry for writing a topic and not staying engaged but have been real busy. The thought that started this topic was to take our truline heifers and cross them with Akaushi to make a line of cows that have ranch stay ability and greater marbling ability. I am sure that mainstream Angus are going to do this.

I did not quite grasp what you meant by "I am sure that mainstream ANgus are going to do this". Why would mainstream Angus be interested in another breed? They certainly don't appear to be open to crossbreeding.
Back to top Go down
mikejd4020

PostSubject: Huh    What would happen. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 4:11 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mikejd4020 wrote:
Does the buffalo loolking hairball have a mother??

she does Mike; a simmy mother...you need them to have some hair up on the border, don`t ya?

Are you sure his mother likes and cares for him. I have a calf that looks like that, I have named him chocolate. My buddy named him the buffalo. He had a mother once. The last I seen of her the coyotes had picked her pretty clean.

Yes, I like cows to have hair, however that might be getting a scosh bit carried away.

Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What would happen.    What would happen. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 7:01 pm

I`d agree Mike...just a tiny little excursion to see what I been missing..so far, only extra hair
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
mikejd4020

PostSubject: I see    What would happen. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 7:26 pm

If I every need to start making coats out of my cattle I will look to purchase some simmi bulls. So basically you crossbred a few of your cattle to a simmi bull just for the education. Did you hope to see a jump in size, or were the results as you suspected they would be?
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What would happen.    What would happen. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 7:37 pm

mikejd4020 wrote:
If I every need to start making coats out of my cattle I will look to purchase some simmi bulls. So basically you crossbred a few of your cattle to a simmi bull just for the education. Did you hope to see a jump in size, or were the results as you suspected they would be?
that calf is a purebred simmi...the Angus cows bred to Simmi bulls; exactly what I expected from the selection I made...certainly not enough to just say SIMMI, or Angus...meaningless terms anymore...
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
MVCatt

PostSubject: Re: What would happen.    What would happen. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 8:23 pm

MKeeney wrote:
mikejd4020 wrote:
that calf is a purebred simmi...the Angus cows bred to Simmi bulls; exactly what I expected from the selection I made...certainly not enough to just say SIMMI, or Angus...meaningless terms anymore...

The SimAngus calves I saw there in the fall were exceptional...I would love to own a trailer load of them...I'd head straight to the stockyard.
Back to top Go down
mikejd4020

PostSubject: My bad    What would happen. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 20, 2012 10:48 pm

My Bad

I thought it was a Sim-Angus Cross thing.
Back in the day the old man would always pick one wierd looking creature to become the next freezer beef. Then that animal would be called MR. STEAK. He said he named them that way so us kids wouldn't get attached. I think he named everything.

I do hereby delcare that animal to be MR. STEAK.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What would happen.    What would happen. - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What would happen.
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Keeney`s Corner :: Breeding Philosophies :: Breeding Philosophies-
Jump to: