Keeney`s Corner
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

NWSS donated heifer

Go down 
+7
Kent Powell
larkota
Grassfarmer
Oldtimer
EddieM
MKeeney
PatB
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
PatB

NWSS donated heifer Empty
PostSubject: NWSS donated heifer   NWSS donated heifer I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 8:37 pm

Where would you keep a $65000 heifer?

http://www.angus.org/pub/newsroom/releases/11312_FoundationHeiferSells%20(2).aspx

Does this heifer qualify as too expensive to fail type?

pat

Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: NWSS donated heifer   NWSS donated heifer I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2012 9:00 pm

patb wrote:

http://www.angus.org/pub/newsroom/releases/11312_FoundationHeiferSells%20(2).aspx

Does this heifer qualify as too expensive to fail type?

pat

the heifer`s job is to entice and educate Brian`s grandkids to play the AAA game...she`s passed her test already before a single calf...hopefully, the grandkids will seek the alternative; home schooling
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: NWSS donated heifer   NWSS donated heifer I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 14, 2012 9:35 am

Quote :

In the seller's feedlot and under his ownership.
Back to top Go down
Oldtimer

Oldtimer

PostSubject: Re: NWSS donated heifer   NWSS donated heifer I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 14, 2012 12:06 pm

patb wrote:

I know where she would be if I came home with a $65000 heifer- Grandma would have me sleeping in the barn and the heifer would be in the house so she didn't get a chill.....

I watched one of those show cow sales on Superior a few weeks ago... I could not believe the prices paid for some of them- bulls and heifers... Who said the economy is bad?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NWSS donated heifer   NWSS donated heifer I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2012 9:19 am

I was there the heifer was'nt. They had a video and she had a calf at side and was bred back. The price does'nt reflect the value as the money is a donation to the Angus Foundation for youth. The man purchaseing seamed he'd have donated the money weather there was an animal involved or not.We also went to another Gala where they sold some high dollar donated vacations then the purchaser would redonate and roll over the the vacation that happened several times.I don't have the funds to do that but some people do and it's there right. They also paid more for the trips than they would cost normally.
Back to top Go down
Grassfarmer

PostSubject: Re: NWSS donated heifer   NWSS donated heifer I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2012 10:03 am

What's the expression about fools and their money?
Back to top Go down
http://www.luingcattle.com
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: NWSS donated heifer   NWSS donated heifer I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2012 10:43 am

Grassfarmer wrote:
What's the expression about fools and their money?

Well, these people obviously have plenty to give away freely, so they don`t fit the fool descripition at all...though their benevolence may serve a foolish cause...
Back to top Go down
larkota

PostSubject: Re: NWSS donated heifer   NWSS donated heifer I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2012 10:48 am

sad why do so many live life just for their obituary.
Back to top Go down
Kent Powell

PostSubject: Re: NWSS donated heifer   NWSS donated heifer I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2012 11:50 am

Causes without controversy are often foolish.
Back to top Go down
http://powellangus.com
Tom D
Admin

PostSubject: Re: NWSS donated heifer   NWSS donated heifer I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2012 12:42 pm

double d wrote:
I was there the heifer was'nt. They had a video and she had a calf at side and was bred back. The price does'nt reflect the value as the money is a donation to the Angus Foundation for youth. The man purchaseing seamed he'd have donated the money weather there was an animal involved or not.We also went to another Gala where they sold some high dollar donated vacations then the purchaser would redonate and roll over the the vacation that happened several times.I don't have the funds to do that but some people do and it's there right. They also paid more for the trips than they would cost normally.

Well good for them. That sounds like a lot of fun. Way more fun than donating anonymously.

TD, The Business Breed
Back to top Go down
Angus 62

PostSubject: Re: NWSS donated heifer   NWSS donated heifer I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2012 3:03 pm

I remember some years back when a now defunct operation and a KY neighbor of Mike's donated a heifer. One of the children of the donation owner was on the junior board and clearly scared of the animal Sad
Back to top Go down
Bob H

PostSubject: Re: NWSS donated heifer   NWSS donated heifer I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2012 5:26 pm

The best place for me to keep a heifer like that would be on my taxes in case I ever made to much money she would expire. It is amazing that people would do that just to have meat.

Bob H from the land of a realy nice winter.
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: NWSS donated heifer   NWSS donated heifer I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2012 5:56 pm

Quote :

Must have been some 4.9 vacation packages to either Iowa or Ohio if nobody wanted them!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NWSS donated heifer   NWSS donated heifer I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2012 7:19 pm

EddieM wrote:
Quote :

Must have been some 4.9 vacation packages to either Iowa or Ohio if nobody wanted them!

The one nobody wanted was to Arizona.
Back to top Go down
BN 109

PostSubject: Re: NWSS donated heifer   NWSS donated heifer I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2012 4:54 am

The man that purchased the Angus heifer is a cattle breeder and does donate to youth alot. I think this pair was one of the lower selling donations of recient memory. Since this was a pair the new owner may actually profit from this pair rather than just forgetting it. The seller had been exhibiting her and running ads on the heifer throughout the year even though she was not actually in Denver.
This was a win win deal for everyone involved. Sounds kinda funny but the new owner can get quite a bit of his money back on this deal from the offspring or embryos. Remeber it was a pair not a open heifer.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: NWSS donated heifer   NWSS donated heifer I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2012 7:11 am

BN 109 wrote:
The man that purchased the Angus heifer is a cattle breeder and does donate to youth alot. I think this pair was one of the lower selling donations of recient memory. Since this was a pair the new owner may actually profit from this pair rather than just forgetting it. The seller had been exhibiting her and running ads on the heifer throughout the year even though she was not actually in Denver.
This was a win win deal for everyone involved. Sounds kinda funny but the new owner can get quite a bit of his money back on this deal from the offspring or embryos. Remeber it was a pair not a open heifer.

it`s not a win-win...it might be a win-win-lose...but when something is overvalued, eventually someone is going to lose...I haven`t seen her, or anything other than her price..but I know enough about genetics to know she`s wayyyyyyyyy over priced, even with all the rest of the parasites that make a living off the con game tossing in their speciality as a "freebie"..
Back to top Go down
Angus 62

PostSubject: Re: NWSS donated heifer   NWSS donated heifer I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2012 7:49 am

Having been involved with planning a few National Junior Shows as well as dealing with a dysfunctional State Junior Association I am skeptical about the real value of donations to these programs. After spending hours discussing the correct color of wood shavings for the show ring Crying or Very sad you realize that that these programs are often merely extensions of the La La land their parents live in or at best they are living vicariously through their kids.
Back to top Go down
Tom D
Admin

PostSubject: Re: NWSS donated heifer   NWSS donated heifer I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2012 8:07 am

MKeeney wrote:
BN 109 wrote:

it`s not a win-win...it might be a win-win-lose...but when something is overvalued, eventually someone is going to lose...I haven`t seen her, or anything other than her price..but I know enough about genetics to know she`s wayyyyyyyyy over priced, even with all the rest of the parasites that make a living off the con game tossing in their speciality as a "freebie"..

The losers will be the suckers that buy the offspring and embryos. Eventually somebody has to form the base of the pyramid, it takes a lot of husky, frumpy girls to hold up the pretty little cheerleader on top. But it's okay cause we're doing it for the youth. Give me a break, what do all these lame ass youth programs teach these fat cat's fat little kittens anyway? How to perform a kick ass skit about why we should all eat more CAB beef? How to properly blowdry the big fat heifer that your big fat grandpa bought you, in hopes of getting a big fat check so that you can attend a big fat college and learn to produce big fat heifers? Yeah, these "donations' sure do a lot to help "the youth". Help make sure that they are indoctrinated with these ridiculous traditions. Help make sure that they turn into social outcasts that have to try to win cow beauty contests to feel good about themselves, the same way that these grotesque pageant moms parade around their little five year old hussies. Help make sure that the cycle continues and that there's always a healthy supply of husky, frumpy girls to form the base of the pyramid.

TD, declaring that skits and judging contests are stupid.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NWSS donated heifer   NWSS donated heifer I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2012 8:47 am

I like the word frumpy. We say klonky sometimes. Very nice essay Tom.
Back to top Go down
Angus 62

PostSubject: Re: NWSS donated heifer   NWSS donated heifer I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2012 10:33 am

Tom, you forgot the poster/scrapbook contest, the TEAM fitting contest, and The Foundation golf tournament... oh yes the cookoff. All things that prepare youth for leadership. cheers

'
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: NWSS donated heifer   NWSS donated heifer I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2012 1:03 pm

Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.

no greater, more applicable, or more dangerous truth ever been written....

Last edited by MKeeney on Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: NWSS donated heifer   NWSS donated heifer I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2012 2:22 pm

Quote :

BN109 or others, what is the track record of all of the other donated heifers? Have they made their mark, lived up to expectations, or even had more than one calf? If they are so valuable, then why have they not been used to start herds?
Back to top Go down
BN 109

PostSubject: Re: NWSS donated heifer   NWSS donated heifer I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2012 6:04 pm

EddieM wrote:
Quote :

BN109 or others, what is the track record of all of the other donated heifers? Have they made their mark, lived up to expectations, or even had more than one calf? If they are so valuable, then why have they not been used to start herds?

Its a donation deal. I really dought any of the donation heifers are the best of any of the breeds and ofcourse I have not heard of any of of them producing great animals down the road. But they are donation heifers for the cause. I dought if any make it in good hands when they are taken home to their new owners( if they make it that far). As far a donation heifer deal goes I have heard of some selling for 100,000. Most of us never will be in that game and do not want to play that game. However, in donation heifer terms this one was a good deal. Little more than half of what they have been selling for with a calf and bred back. I would guess the seller had about $4000 in advertising her alone. That money will come back to the breeder over and over again. I am sure the buyer realizes she was high but it was the donation deal and this adult man enjoys donationing to juniors and will continue to do so. What I read he lives about 200 miles from the donation breeder.
Yes what is done with any donation is always debatable.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: NWSS donated heifer   NWSS donated heifer I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2012 6:35 pm

I agree that supplying a bull with increased homozygosity is valuable in a crossbreeding/outcrossing program for increased heterosis, as well as reproducing himself with a greater degree of reliability. Again the point here is not that consistency is bad, but that being consistent just for the sake of being consistent has little or no value in my eyes.

If you can get that great looking, great performing outcrossed bull (to use lloyd's example) and linebreed to him, would you not have a better, more consistent end result? Just food for thought.

Food? Bless his heart; probably a child of the JR Program...how can we help this young man? mk
Back to top Go down
BN 109

PostSubject: Qd   NWSS donated heifer I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 20, 2012 7:26 pm

MKeeney wrote:
I agree that supplying a bull with increased homozygosity is valuable in a crossbreeding/outcrossing program for increased heterosis, as well as reproducing himself with a greater degree of reliability. Again the point here is not that consistency is bad, but that being consistent just for the sake of being consistent has little or no value in my eyes.

If you can get that great looking, great performing outcrossed bull (to use lloyd's example) and linebreed to him, would you not have a better, more consistent end result? Just food for thought.

Food? Bless his heart; probably a child of the JR Program...how can we help this young man? mk

OFF TOPIC

confused
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NWSS donated heifer   NWSS donated heifer I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

NWSS donated heifer
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next