Keeney`s Corner
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

UNDERSTANDING COW SIZE AND EFFICIENCY

Go down 
+3
df
Angus 62
Kent Powell
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Kent Powell

UNDERSTANDING COW SIZE AND EFFICIENCY Empty
PostSubject: UNDERSTANDING COW SIZE AND EFFICIENCY   UNDERSTANDING COW SIZE AND EFFICIENCY I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 12, 2011 9:47 am

http://www.bifconference.com/bif2010/documents/08_johnson_radakovich.pdf

earlier sexual maturity keeps getting thrown in with these discussions. Why?
Back to top Go down
http://powellangus.com
Angus 62

PostSubject: Re: UNDERSTANDING COW SIZE AND EFFICIENCY   UNDERSTANDING COW SIZE AND EFFICIENCY I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 12, 2011 11:15 am

Right off hand Kent I would say that the ability to reach sexual maturity would be connected to cycling at a lower weight as a heifer. One of my biggesrt problems with the wonder genetics of today is how big and how much feed you have to put into a heifer to get her to cycle.
Back to top Go down
df

PostSubject: Re: UNDERSTANDING COW SIZE AND EFFICIENCY   UNDERSTANDING COW SIZE AND EFFICIENCY I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 12, 2011 1:35 pm

Keystone wrote:
http://www.bifconference.com/bif2010/documents/08_johnson_radakovich.pdf

earlier sexual maturity keeps getting thrown in with these discussions. Why?

Might be due to lots of females calving at 3 yrs of age in the past.
Back to top Go down
Tom D
Admin

PostSubject: Re: UNDERSTANDING COW SIZE AND EFFICIENCY   UNDERSTANDING COW SIZE AND EFFICIENCY I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 12, 2011 6:11 pm

I really liked the conclusion:

No one breed or size category of cattle excels in all traits or is most efficient in all
environments. Any “one size fits all” approach will result in un-captured profit, and therefore
suboptimal efficiency. The question of efficiency needs to be discussed in the context of a
specific system, which requires careful analysis of the environment, market, and goals of that
system.
Back to top Go down
Dylan Biggs

PostSubject: Re: UNDERSTANDING COW SIZE AND EFFICIENCY   UNDERSTANDING COW SIZE AND EFFICIENCY I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 12, 2011 6:20 pm

Tom D wrote:
I really liked the conclusion:

No one breed or size category of cattle excels in all traits or is most efficient in all
environments. Any “one size fits all” approach will result in un-captured profit, and therefore
suboptimal efficiency. The question of efficiency needs to be discussed in the context of a
specific system, which requires careful analysis of the environment, market, and goals of that
system.

Context, context, context! Difficult to argue the last sentence, for sure.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: UNDERSTANDING COW SIZE AND EFFICIENCY   UNDERSTANDING COW SIZE AND EFFICIENCY I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 12, 2011 7:53 pm

MKeeney wrote:
how many distinct foundation types should a Tru-Line system embrace and what true breeds most specifically represent those types?
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
Mark Day

PostSubject: Re: UNDERSTANDING COW SIZE AND EFFICIENCY   UNDERSTANDING COW SIZE AND EFFICIENCY I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 13, 2011 9:41 am

Everyone is so worried about cow efficiency but yet I have been in 3 local farm supply stores past week and no one had some temporary fencing items that I needed because they say no one does that around here so they can't sell those items. I know where to get it on the web but thought I would try to pick these things up locally and save some shipping.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: UNDERSTANDING COW SIZE AND EFFICIENCY   UNDERSTANDING COW SIZE AND EFFICIENCY I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

UNDERSTANDING COW SIZE AND EFFICIENCY
Page 1 of 1