Keeney`s Corner
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Old line Canadian Eston breeding

Go down 
+2
MKeeney
OAK LANE FARM
6 posters
AuthorMessage
OAK LANE FARM

Old line Canadian Eston breeding Empty
PostSubject: Old line Canadian Eston breeding   Old line Canadian Eston breeding I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 8:33 am

Old line Canadian Eston breeding 119TDynasty
Back to top Go down
OAK LANE FARM

PostSubject: Re: Old line Canadian Eston breeding   Old line Canadian Eston breeding I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 8:37 am

This was a bull I admired last year while in Canada. His daughters were consistant and moderate sized. We had 4 or 5 sisters to the pictured bull back in the 70s that did a nice job.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Old line Canadian Eston breeding   Old line Canadian Eston breeding I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 6:19 am

let`s forget individuals...is he "the type" that makes good daughters? what type daughters? I would describe the picture as "stout"...
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
Mean Spirit

PostSubject: Re: Old line Canadian Eston breeding   Old line Canadian Eston breeding I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 6:50 am

MKeeney wrote:
let`s forget individuals...is he "the type" that makes good daughters? what type daughters? I would describe the picture as "stout"...

I think he'd work for my purposes, if he were white.

Mean Spirit, in the vicinity of trying to figure out if the Washington Monument is leaning after the big quake.
Back to top Go down
chocolate cow

PostSubject: Re: Old line Canadian Eston breeding   Old line Canadian Eston breeding I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 10:57 am

Mike, Is he the "type"? How would you identify the "type"? Without seeing daughters? What if he was a yearling? My thoughts on the cattle we looked at were a "variation on a theme". That's a musical term coming from years of piano lessons! We saw cattle with subtle differences while still maintaining that one main idea or goal of being functional, efficient cattle. Hence my variation on a theme. Not extreme variation but is this bull a variation of the original theme? Dennis: What about the Pinebank bull? Selection for good feet is single trait selection. What possibly will need to be corrected once the feet/hooves goal is attained? Or does that bull present a complete package? Do you feel you can infuse his hoof qualities without compromising anything else in your cattle? Not trying to be a smartass today, just wanting to understand study

Chocolate cow: grumbling in the heat that I thought would be over with by now grrrrrrrrrr
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Old line Canadian Eston breeding   Old line Canadian Eston breeding I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 12:06 pm

instead of pictures of bulls selected maternal purposes, why not show the cows in his ancestry as a better indicator of projected type of his daughters? ...but then comes the reason I said I don`t look at others cattle anymore...is the phenotype more influenced by environment or genetics?
Back to top Go down
jhudson

PostSubject: Re: Old line Canadian Eston breeding   Old line Canadian Eston breeding I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 3:19 pm

Mike, Would you say that in short run genetics will determine phenotype, but over time environment will dictate phenotype and genetics? Does Bonsma type apply in all environments?Jim
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Old line Canadian Eston breeding   Old line Canadian Eston breeding I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 8:05 pm

jhudson wrote:
Mike, Would you say that in short run genetics will determine phenotype, but over time environment will dictate phenotype and genetics? Does Bonsma type apply in all environments?Jim

Jim, my "environment " statement pertained more to visiting registered herds, where the environment was likely enhanced to support whatever the breeder preferred...that may happen much, much more than anyone cares to admit; along with a "sort" of the preferred cattle, to the preferred pastures...
in the purest sense, I pretty much agree with your statement; just not sure how many "purist" there are...I`m certainly not letting environment totally sort my cattle...nature and me have different goals...
I think variations of a "Bonsma type" applies to all environments...the proper milk level needing the most attention IMHO Smile
Does the H in IMHO stand for honest or humble? Smile
Back to top Go down
chocolate cow

PostSubject: Re: Old line Canadian Eston breeding   Old line Canadian Eston breeding I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 8:24 pm

Have to consult JimL on the exact defecation or I mean definition IMHO Laughing

Suppose this makes me a smart azz ?
Back to top Go down
robert

PostSubject: Re: Old line Canadian Eston breeding   Old line Canadian Eston breeding I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 8:40 pm

Ignorant Mischaracterizations Harrassingly Orated
Back to top Go down
Mean Spirit

PostSubject: Re: Old line Canadian Eston breeding   Old line Canadian Eston breeding I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 8:55 pm

Just being here makes you a smart ass, CC. But embrace your smartassness.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Old line Canadian Eston breeding   Old line Canadian Eston breeding I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 8:56 pm

robert wrote:
Ignorant Mischaracterizations Harrassingly Orated

now that`s good stuff Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Old line Canadian Eston breeding   Old line Canadian Eston breeding I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Old line Canadian Eston breeding
Page 1 of 1