Keeney`s Corner
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

crossbred vrs. hybred

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
larkota

crossbred  vrs.  hybred Empty
PostSubject: crossbred vrs. hybred   crossbred  vrs.  hybred I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2011 11:13 am

1.Hybrids between different subspecies within a species

Sterility is often attributed to the different number of chromosomes the two species have

2.The second type of hybrid consists of crosses between populations, breeds or cultivars within a single species. This meaning is often used in plant and animal breeding, where hybrids are commonly produced and selected because they have desirable characteristics not found or inconsistently present in the parent individuals or populations. This flow of genetic material between populations or races is often called hybridization.

A crossbreed or crossbred usually refers to an animal with purebred parents of two different breeds, varieties, or populations. Crossbreeding refers to the process of breeding such an animal, often with the intention to create offspring that share the traits of both parent lineages, or producing an animal with hybrid vigor. While crossbreeding is used to maintain health and viability of animals, irresponsible crossbreeding can also produce animals of inferior quality or dilute a purebred gene pool to the point of extinction of a given breed of animal.

Mike can you dummy this up for me?

Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: crossbred vrs. hybred   crossbred  vrs.  hybred I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2011 7:04 pm

Sounds like they are discussing a "breeding up" program. Are parents always purebred or just known parentage or type? How would you ever develop a 4 way cross with only purebred parents?
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: crossbred vrs. hybred   crossbred  vrs.  hybred I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2011 9:52 pm

larkota wrote:
1.Hybrids between different subspecies within a species

Sterility is often attributed to the different number of chromosomes the two species have

2.The second type of hybrid consists of crosses between populations, breeds or cultivars within a single species. This meaning is often used in plant and animal breeding, where hybrids are commonly produced and selected because they have desirable characteristics not found or inconsistently present in the parent individuals or populations. This flow of genetic material between populations or races is often called hybridization.

A crossbreed or crossbred usually refers to an animal with purebred parents of two different breeds, varieties, or populations. Crossbreeding refers to the process of breeding such an animal, often with the intention to create offspring that share the traits of both parent lineages, or producing an animal with hybrid vigor. While crossbreeding is used to maintain health and viability of animals, irresponsible crossbreeding can also produce animals of inferior quality or dilute a purebred gene pool to the point of extinction of a given breed of animal.

Mike can you dummy this up for me?

yelp, think what "Angus" once meant...think what "Angus" doesn`t mean now...

yelp, think what "Angus" once meant...think what "Angus" doesn`t mean now...so now the chore is to make Larson or Keeney mean something like "Angus" once wwas, a breed...

Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
Bob H

PostSubject: Re: crossbred vrs. hybred   crossbred  vrs.  hybred I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2011 9:07 am

Mike at least some folks are starting to get the picture. It is so interesting that a plant breeder would not have his job one year if he tried what mainstream cattle breeders do. What I have observed is that when you use true parent lines you can meet your objectives 85 to 90 % of the time. Looks quite allot like feilds of corn or wheat that start with true lines to get the seedless fruit. Have a wounderful 4 th of July and remember the souls that have given their lives so that we can be free!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: crossbred vrs. hybred   crossbred  vrs.  hybred I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

crossbred vrs. hybred
Page 1 of 1