Keeney`s Corner
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

$B Value- Terminal Value? You decide

Go down 
AuthorMessage

$B Value- Terminal Value? You decide Empty
PostSubject: $B Value- Terminal Value? You decide   $B Value- Terminal Value? You decide I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 04, 2010 10:38 pm

I don't get many sale catalogues anymore, got this one today, with this little write up in it.

Quote "

There are many new EPD's that have been developed in the past two years by all breed assn. As recommended by Bill Bowman, Head of Breed Improvement[u] of the AAA. They can all be used as tools, not single trait selection.

$B, in our opinion, is generally misunderstood for what it stands for. It for some reason, is the "popular" $value that many extension, and purebred breeders talk about, even though it is
also k nown as the terminal value.

If your
total goal is to have a $value that measures strictly feedlot and carcass merit, $B may be your main value. Remember $B is not designed to be driven by just one factor such as quality, red meat yield or weight. It is a post-weaning performance and carcass value, both and only.

The
best approach, in our opinion, is to use a combination of $EN (cow energy requirements) $W (BW, WW, cow size,) $F (post weaning merit), $ G (carcass grid merit), along with $B. However, if you retainfemales, sell your calves at weaning, or retain ownership using only $B you may end up with a herd of bigger, hard doing, hard feeding, high maintainance females.

Balanced EPD's, fertility, "kind", soundness, longevity, carcass and great udders
are our program. Be very careful of single trait selection, unless you have a terminal end-point. End Quote

I tried to present it just as written.

I
Back to top Go down
PatB

$B Value- Terminal Value? You decide Empty
PostSubject: Re: $B Value- Terminal Value? You decide   $B Value- Terminal Value? You decide I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 05, 2010 5:49 am

you can have all the $ indexes as they all have assumptions in them. I still like the basic epd's bw, ww, yw, maternal and looking at docility and tenderness indicators thru igeneity.
Back to top Go down

$B Value- Terminal Value? You decide
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Keeney`s Corner :: Breeding Philosophies :: Breeding Philosophies-
Jump to: