Keeney`s Corner
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The future of seedstock production

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
MKeeney
Admin

The future of seedstock production Empty
PostSubject: The future of seedstock production   The future of seedstock production I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 15, 2011 7:35 am

http://beefmagazine.com/business/future-of-seedstock-production-0201/

excerpt
Moreover, since seedstock producers can all access the same genetics for the most part, competition for commercial customers’ bull buying dollars revolves around offering more value via a broader array of services. That includes everything from free delivery to helping customers market their calves to managing customer replacement heifer development.

not one mention of selling bulls cheaper, and commercial customers managing their own business...GOOD!...still hope for me to keep flying under the radar selling some bulls...
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
OAK LANE FARM

PostSubject: Re: The future of seedstock production   The future of seedstock production I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 16, 2011 6:55 am

It looks like another of the typical large extreme advertising buying seedstock producer getting a free forum to tell the smaller producer to get out of the way. The idea that the large seedstock producers have some advantage with the practice of population genetics when they change their herds genetics totally around every year or two is ridiculous. I often wonder if these publications ever read their own crap. Give the large feedyard breeders credibility in one article and then address the fact that we have tried to breed cattle that will eat as much as possible for the last 40 years and now we will need to find cattle that are more efficient. I don't think there has ever been an article, Mike, that questioned whether more expensive bulls are really worth more or that finding cheaper bulls might be an important way to save money.
Back to top Go down
Mean Spirit

PostSubject: Re: The future of seedstock production   The future of seedstock production I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 16, 2011 8:16 am

Do they really think the 20 cow commercial herd-- the vast majority of the herds on the Atlantic seaboard- is going to go away? I think as long as they exist, I might be able to move a good bull at a decent price every so often.
Back to top Go down
PatB

PostSubject: Re: The future of seedstock production   The future of seedstock production I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 16, 2011 12:53 pm

Mean Spirit wrote:
Do they really think the 20 cow commercial herd-- the vast majority of the herds on the Atlantic seaboard- is going to go away? I think as long as they exist, I might be able to move a good bull at a decent price every so often.

The small east coast herds will exist as long as the owners enjoy having cattle around.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The future of seedstock production   The future of seedstock production I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The future of seedstock production
Page 1 of 1