Keeney`s Corner
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

selection at weaning

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
df

selection at weaning Empty
PostSubject: selection at weaning   selection at weaning I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 11:37 am

Are there any breeders that describe their selection as ~90% complete at weaning with the postweaning development to simply cull the tail end that don't perform at all?

Back to top Go down
PatB

PostSubject: Re: selection at weaning   selection at weaning I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 12:42 pm

I can say that for the bull candidates and steers that by weaning 90% of the selection is done. Bad disposition or other traits may still get a bull turned into beef.
The heifers first cut comes at weaning with handling ease playing a large part follow by performance and visual appraisal and pedigree. The heifers are cut again at breeding time for handling ease, visual appraisal, and performance and any opens after breeding season are sold.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: selection at weaning   selection at weaning I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 15, 2011 11:47 pm

I cull the small and the large and keep the middle. The others are both disappointing in the end.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: selection at weaning   selection at weaning I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

selection at weaning
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Keeney`s Corner :: Breeding Philosophies :: Breeding Philosophies-
Jump to: