Keeney`s Corner
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

2014 Keeney Angus Spring Bull Sale

Go down 
+19
rross
Will
RobertMac
df
tim hair
Kent Powell
Bob H
MVCatt
alexfarms
jonken
Grassfarmer
Larry Leonhardt
Mark Day
tc
LCP
Tom D
EddieM
larkota
MKeeney
23 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 7 ... 14  Next
AuthorMessage
MKeeney
Admin

2014 Keeney Angus Spring  Bull Sale Empty
PostSubject: 2014 Keeney Angus Spring Bull Sale   2014 Keeney Angus Spring  Bull Sale I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 20, 2013 9:38 pm

There won`t be one...

instead, all bulls will be sold at private treaty beginning Feb 1, 2014. All bulls will be priced the same; since all the bulls in a pen will breed close to the same. The price will be based on April futures for fat cattle; probably 1500 X fat price {1500 x 1.30 currently= $1950; FOB Nancy, KY}; semen checked; kept until May 1 if need be; thereafter at a fee/day. Volume discount. We will assist with delivery at lowest cost as best we can.
The pedigree will be in the name; and any further guarantees in the price. There`ll be no individual data; this sale is about a breeding program; not individuals; outliers will have been castrated.

We repurchased all the calves straight off the cows today we sent to TN this spring; felt rather pricey paying near $900/ hd for non-weaned calves based on local stockyard prices; not much room for negotiation when the sellers want 30 more cows...and left me instructions to pick out the cows and call them to come get them when I get them ready...what a treat weighing, closing the gate, and writing a check for the calves...no need for DNA for parentage or genomics, no fees or waiting for meaningless papers, transfers, no commissions, even to the stockyard...good feeling having more demand than females; but no, we won`t raise the price; we`ll raise more females.
There`ll be more to come about next spring`s sale; but wanted to get "my story" up to compete with the current silliness...silliness that pisses me off for a couple days, before turning into a week of disappointment in a couple people you held out hope for; then finally turns into inspiration to get off the golf course and get my ass back into this little quest the few of us have here for a more purposeful seedstock industry based on commercial usefulness instead of registered bullshit and rarity...
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Keeney Angus Spring Bull Sale   2014 Keeney Angus Spring  Bull Sale I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 22, 2013 8:54 am

Mike, I bought a bull from u at ur spring sale.. Got the pregnancy test bk, all my cows r bred. Not only am I pleased all my cows will be calving, he has such a good temperament an calm... Wanna to pk ur brain at the sale a little, but ur voice had left town, lol.. Thanks, Steve

Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Keeney Angus Spring Bull Sale   2014 Keeney Angus Spring  Bull Sale I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 23, 2013 9:16 pm

EVEN on a cloudy day, you can see forever...cause forever ain`t very far

2014 Keeney Angus Spring  Bull Sale 1023001_zpse9cd2c2e

The long and winding road is also the Al Gore originated fence-line weaning facility..

2014 Keeney Angus Spring  Bull Sale 1023002_zpsfeee6a19

the white dots are not marker cows

2014 Keeney Angus Spring  Bull Sale 1023004_zps675c7671

so who minds a few cockleburs? my heirs? deal with it Smile 

2014 Keeney Angus Spring  Bull Sale 1023005_zps497e7540

Up close and personal, I see my favorite girl has already branded a weaned calf as hers...Jennifer Lopez makes every day beautiful...

2014 Keeney Angus Spring  Bull Sale 1023006_zpse520d280

the one year older breds...same MO; consistent renewal...

2014 Keeney Angus Spring  Bull Sale 1023007_zpse06a0ac5

little sky country

2014 Keeney Angus Spring  Bull Sale 1023013_zps0e1053aa

to quote Jimmy Buffet, I haven`t a clue how this got here; but it was next in my photobucket sequence...oh to be single again, as rumor has it Clooney dumped her...

2014 Keeney Angus Spring  Bull Sale Stacy-keibler-pics-new-013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rxgGVIrDqY

TomD, you been hacking my photobucket? Shocked
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Keeney Angus Spring Bull Sale   2014 Keeney Angus Spring  Bull Sale I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 26, 2013 11:16 pm

$16,000 to get a sire that sires a heifer like all of mine?

2014 Keeney Angus Spring  Bull Sale Aug152012002_zps9d92e28d

and not a great one among mine or theirs...just a matter of perspective and commotion and promotion...but the con game stops here...

if all these great cattle have been bred to great cattle, why aren`t all cattle great by now? Could it be bullshit doesn`t breed on?
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Keeney Angus Spring Bull Sale   2014 Keeney Angus Spring  Bull Sale I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 27, 2013 8:18 pm

so, since she can`t be great, how could she be made rare?
Back to top Go down
larkota

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Keeney Angus Spring Bull Sale   2014 Keeney Angus Spring  Bull Sale I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 27, 2013 9:07 pm

MKeeney wrote:

and not a great one among mine or theirs...just a matter of perspective and commotion and promotion...but the con game stops here...

if all these great cattle have been bred to great cattle, why aren`t all cattle great by now? Could it be bullshit doesn`t breed on?
teach her to eat thistle, buckbrush, or wormwood sage, cross her with Angus Tex, back to a Cole Creek bull if you can find semen, then to something modern to up her epd's, suppose would not hurt to have some old Canadian blood for something to talk about. how many years you figure it will take me to get a whopper??
Back to top Go down
larkota

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Keeney Angus Spring Bull Sale   2014 Keeney Angus Spring  Bull Sale I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 27, 2013 9:08 pm

MKeeney wrote:
so, since she can`t be great, how could she be made rare?
on a grill. Laughing 
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Keeney Angus Spring Bull Sale   2014 Keeney Angus Spring  Bull Sale I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 28, 2013 12:16 am

her grandsire`s AI certificates are priced at $1000; that heifer has got to be valuable Smile ...maybe even more so than if she was a Ballot; only ten bucks for the AAA to register them right up...
damn, what a fall dreamweaver 1916 has taken in price; from $500 to $20??...some bulls don`t stay rare and valuable at death very long, just dead and excess property in semen inventory; replaced by "fresh , outcross genetics"...I got some living bulls with semen in the same category; who needs semen when their sons replace sires so easily...live and learn if you have the right "tool"...a brain Smile
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Keeney Angus Spring Bull Sale   2014 Keeney Angus Spring  Bull Sale I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 28, 2013 7:43 am

larkota wrote:
MKeeney wrote:

teach her to eat thistle, buckbrush, or wormwood sage, cross her with Angus Tex, back to a Cole Creek bull if you can find semen, then to something modern to up her epd's, suppose would not hurt to have some old Canadian blood for something to talk about.  how many years you figure it will take me to get a whopper??
ss wrote:
With cattle you will never accomplish everything in one breeding. Stabilize important traits and then move to stabilize more traits.

The old Arkansas chicken plucker can tell you how to do it. He needs to buy a corrector bull from Big Jim "Mr. Tools" that he made by using somebody else's corrector bulls. Just ask BJ about his OPINION on genetic testing to see how quickly he grabs the brass ring. Looks like 7 or 8 generations back, Earl Marshall was a corrector bull. Uh-Oh, somebody noticed the feet!!Embarassed  Needed more wheat straw before that flashbulb went off but too late now. And all from one day on "As the Cattle Turns" or "Bulls of our Lives"! And remember, a lot of people watch that site ... for comic relief?
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Keeney Angus Spring Bull Sale   2014 Keeney Angus Spring  Bull Sale I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 28, 2013 10:24 pm

It`s all good...but it can`t top the call I had today from a guy who has moved to Nancy, KY from...get this ...Iowa Smile but he just needs 15 or so females, and I must say he sounds very intelligent...of course, he`s from Southern Iowa, and I`ve been told that it`s a different world and mentality there...Smile 
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Keeney Angus Spring Bull Sale   2014 Keeney Angus Spring  Bull Sale I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 29, 2013 7:38 am

MKeeney wrote:
It`s all good...but it can`t top the call I had today from a guy who has moved to Nancy, KY from...get this ...Iowa Smile but he just needs 15 or so females, and I must say he sounds very intelligent...of course, he`s from Southern Iowa, and I`ve been told that it`s a different world and mentality there...Smile 
You can only hope that he is an Iowan outlier
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Keeney Angus Spring Bull Sale   2014 Keeney Angus Spring  Bull Sale I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 29, 2013 7:50 am

lot`s of good, salt of the earth family in Iowa...you know the names of the out liars Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Keeney Angus Spring Bull Sale   2014 Keeney Angus Spring  Bull Sale I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 29, 2013 2:56 pm

MKeeney wrote:
lot`s of good, salt of the earth family in Iowa...you know the names of the out liars Very Happy 
BJ wrote:
We have a star system that we use on our cows . A two star cow is one that has had several calves above average , a good udder , a good temper and is a cow that almost always settles first service AI. In our small herd of 60 cows we have 8 two star cows and many of them with multiple calves have always settled first service and have never been bred by the bull. In two cases we have daughter dam combinations who are both two star. I have never gotten a below average calf out of the two star cows despite those cows being bred to many differant bulls AI and natural. Our 1 star cows are ones who raise calves good enough to sell as breeding stock but are not as good as the two star cows and the 0 star cows are on the bubble. We make every effort to keep as many heifers out of the two star cows as we can.

We used Embryo transfer one time using two heifers as donor. Using the heifers was a mistake looking back. Got good results ie eggs etc but the resulting calves did not sell for any more money then the others and netted less because of the extra cost. Since then we have gone under the idea that you can capture the value of that old cow better and for less cost by using her sons instead of flushing her.

Long way of saying I think the way we do things does create a system where certain cows do have more enfluence in our herd . Not as much as a bull but still more then some would say . I know it is pretty satisfying when a two year old seems to be doing the same job that her old 2 star dam or grand dam has done for years.
Mike, you need to discuss stars and not EPDs with your new neighbor. In Iowa they can breed for 40 years and have 8/60 or almost 14% of a herd as the cows you would want with two stars. But it takes a lot of culling and 4 of the 8 are mother/daughter combos. So, use your "star tools" and talk the guy's language. See if he looks salty and he will be a great guy, kinda like a potato chip.

Eddie, still communicating through smoke signals to distant lands and wondering about the Jedi cows
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Keeney Angus Spring Bull Sale   2014 Keeney Angus Spring  Bull Sale I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 30, 2013 9:52 pm

EddieM wrote:
MKeeney wrote:
BJ wrote:
We have a star system that we use on our cows . A two star cow is one that has had several calves above average , a good udder , a good temper and is a cow that almost always settles first service AI. In our small herd of 60 cows we have 8 two star cows and many of them with multiple calves have always settled first service and have never been bred by the bull. In two cases we have daughter dam combinations who are both two star. I have never gotten a below average calf out of the two star cows despite those cows being bred to many differant bulls AI and natural. Our 1 star cows are ones who raise calves good enough to sell as breeding stock but are not as good as the two star cows and the 0 star cows are on the bubble. We make every effort to keep as many heifers out of the two star cows as we can.

We used Embryo transfer one time using two heifers as donor. Using the heifers was a mistake looking back. Got good results ie eggs etc but the resulting calves did not sell for any more money then the others and netted less because of the extra cost. Since then we have gone under the idea that you can capture the value of that old cow better and for less cost by using her sons instead of flushing her.

Long way of saying I think the way we do things does create a system where certain cows do have more enfluence in our herd . Not as much as a bull but still more then some would say . I know it is pretty satisfying when a two year old seems to be doing the same job that her old 2 star dam or grand dam has done for years.
Mike, you need to discuss stars and not EPDs with your new neighbor.  In Iowa they can breed for 40 years and have 8/60 or almost 14% of a herd as the cows you would want with two stars.  But it takes a lot of culling and 4 of the 8 are mother/daughter combos.  So, use your "star tools" and talk the guy's language.  See if he looks salty and he will be a great guy, kinda like a potato chip.

Eddie, still communicating through smoke signals to distant lands and wondering about the Jedi cows
When you get the breeding herd genetically consistent; the only selection tool you need is a cut gate ...

had 10 older cows picked out; need 15 more... thought preg check might find us some later calvers today...nope, either 4 to 5 months bred or 5 open out of 85...stars, weaning ratios, etc...pretty damn useless to make anything but more stars and new ratios...it`s either sell cows I like {not excited about Smile } or buy/rent more land...not going to happen; I was zoned in today on the links; can`t hardly wait to get back out there cheers 

2014 Keeney Angus Spring  Bull Sale Ec47d2c9-a983-4266-81cc-75b031b2d6c1_zps7c217dc4

A Rose by any other name would smell as sweet...so says the new Shakespeare of ACS...Smile 

What name other than "cow" do you call this "peach" Tom? Smile
Back to top Go down
Tom D
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Keeney Angus Spring Bull Sale   2014 Keeney Angus Spring  Bull Sale I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 30, 2013 10:49 pm

The poor thing doesn't have a name, or a number, just a backwards left over Z-tag that I put in when I preg checked her to make sure she got bred by her brother. His name is Magic Mike.  She's always just been "the 1711 heifer", but today she calved so I guess I can't call her that anymore.  The calf already has a name, even though I haven't gotten close enough to see if it's a he or a she. It's Everest, and Everest is little and quick.  Everest does not appear to have any extra limbs or eyeballs, even though it is the result of an incestuous mating.  I guess I can just call her Everest's Mom from now on.  My, they grow up so quick.

2014 Keeney Angus Spring  Bull Sale 3e184524

2014 Keeney Angus Spring  Bull Sale E7098428

2014 Keeney Angus Spring  Bull Sale C95021F6-AE5A-4AE5-A663-E4242BC42CB6-6336-00000BF0B9934075
Back to top Go down
larkota

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Keeney Angus Spring Bull Sale   2014 Keeney Angus Spring  Bull Sale I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 31, 2013 9:01 am

Tom are you in a low copper, high selenium or is that no copper, moderate molybdenum high zinc.....ahhh shit let me go ask an expert which it is.

Larkota thinking I be smarter and better looking taking my One A Days.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Keeney Angus Spring Bull Sale   2014 Keeney Angus Spring  Bull Sale I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 31, 2013 5:25 pm

Tom D wrote:
The poor thing doesn't have a name, or a number, just a backwards left over Z-tag that I put in when I preg checked her to make sure she got bred by her brother. His name is Magic Mike.  She's always just been "the 1711 heifer", but today she calved so I guess I can't call her that anymore.  The calf already has a name, even though I haven't gotten close enough to see if it's a he or a she. It's Everest, and Everest is little and quick.  Everest does not appear to have any extra limbs or eyeballs, even though it is the result of an incestuous mating.  I guess I can just call her Everest's Mom from now on.  My, they grow up so quick.

2014 Keeney Angus Spring  Bull Sale 3e184524

2014 Keeney Angus Spring  Bull Sale E7098428

2014 Keeney Angus Spring  Bull Sale C95021F6-AE5A-4AE5-A663-E4242BC42CB6-6336-00000BF0B9934075
Such a familiar female face...

2014 Keeney Angus Spring  Bull Sale TOMHC_zps910a76c0

Such a familiar type...

2014 Keeney Angus Spring  Bull Sale 0c74ffc8-b106-4287-a0d7-22565fff5012_zps4053bee9

still intact; third generation....of breeders
Back to top Go down
LCP

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Keeney Angus Spring Bull Sale   2014 Keeney Angus Spring  Bull Sale I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 31, 2013 10:51 pm

larkota wrote:
MKeeney wrote:

teach her to eat thistle, buckbrush, or wormwood sage, cross her with Angus Tex, back to a Cole Creek bull if you can find semen, then to something modern to up her epd's, suppose would not hurt to have some old Canadian blood for something to talk about.  how many years you figure it will take me to get a whopper??
No Briann, she would be worth too much to have her eating all that garbage. Better put her on a "high roughage ration" and make sure the calves get some of that up-and-at-em paste when they're born. And then spend $20 an acre on herbicide for those weeds. Cows are only supposed to eat grass, at least that's what the DuPont flyer in the mail said.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Keeney Angus Spring Bull Sale   2014 Keeney Angus Spring  Bull Sale I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 05, 2013 12:43 pm

well, getting out early ain`t so bad when you get good news...67 of 68 two and three year olds bred; 64 bred up really early...Pete, Re-pete, long toe, and Encest the sires of note...
does this mean my herd fertility has improved? hell no, it has been pretty decent all along...lots of environmental things that make up the 90% that is not genetic of fertility aligned in perfect form this year...
Linda has agreed to chauffeur me this afternoon, so off for an afternoon of fun and games...just games, no conning anyone into thinking I`m a good golfer Rolling Eyes Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
larkota

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Keeney Angus Spring Bull Sale   2014 Keeney Angus Spring  Bull Sale I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 05, 2013 2:29 pm

LCP wrote:
larkota wrote:
MKeeney wrote:

No Briann, she would be worth too much to have her eating all that garbage.  Better put her on a "high roughage ration" and make sure the calves get some of that up-and-at-em paste when they're born.  And then spend $20 an acre on herbicide for those weeds.  Cows are only supposed to eat grass, at least that's what the DuPont flyer in the mail said.
truly sorry Luke that I missed your post.  since you sent it on Oct 31st, I was trick and treating, don't tell us you made the toddlers go alone.

spent my $20 an acre, that much less income tax to pay. wow pasture and pocketbook gain, two out of three aint bad.
don't know what DuPont said,  only know what I read from the Grassland Coalition and NRCS.  heck the guy was so happy with my request he gave me 2 hats, 1 hoody, 1 plain T shirt and another 1 in pink.

glad to hear weaning went ok. so when you hauling calves to feedlot?
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Keeney Angus Spring Bull Sale   2014 Keeney Angus Spring  Bull Sale I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 05, 2013 9:11 pm

all them guys rushing to Luke`s and Larkota`s to hunt pheasants in SD...When here in KY, you can golf and hunt at the same time...tell Shirley we`re having turkey for lunch tomorrow Travis..Smile 

2014 Keeney Angus Spring  Bull Sale Turkeys_zpsed6ddb1b
Back to top Go down
LCP

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Keeney Angus Spring Bull Sale   2014 Keeney Angus Spring  Bull Sale I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 05, 2013 9:26 pm

larkota wrote:
LCP wrote:
larkota wrote:
MKeeney wrote:

No Briann, she would be worth too much to have her eating all that garbage.  Better put her on a "high roughage ration" and make sure the calves get some of that up-and-at-em paste when they're born.  And then spend $20 an acre on herbicide for those weeds.  Cows are only supposed to eat grass, at least that's what the DuPont flyer in the mail said.
truly sorry Luke that I missed your post.  since you sent it on Oct 31st, I was trick and treating, don't tell us you made the toddlers go alone.

spent my $20 an acre, that much less income tax to pay. wow pasture and pocketbook gain, two out of three aint bad.
don't know what DuPont said,  only know what I read from the Grassland Coalition and NRCS.  heck the guy was so happy with my request he gave me 2 hats, 1 hoody, 1 plain T shirt and another 1 in pink.

glad to hear weaning went ok. so when you hauling calves to feedlot?
Sure did take the kids trick or treating. I don't remember the candy being that good when I was a kid. Not a single orange peanut or cheap unmarked hard candy. All name-brand, mostly chocolate. Kids are so spoiled these days.

Shipping calves on Monday, but I won't be going down with them. When I do I'll call you Briann.
Back to top Go down
larkota

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Keeney Angus Spring Bull Sale   2014 Keeney Angus Spring  Bull Sale I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 06, 2013 7:30 am

MKeeney wrote:
all them guys rushing to Luke`s and Larkota`s to hunt pheasants in SD...When here in KY, you can golf and hunt at the same time...tell Shirley we`re having turkey for lunch tomorrow Travis..Smile 

here we have turkeys hunting pheasants, like clay pigeons but with a kill. had to laugh at the guy bragging up his lap dog after catching a bird hiding under the tractor.

South Dakota becoming the new Iowa....where the grass is being turned under to send grain to China and the wildlife is raised in pens.
Back to top Go down
tc

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Keeney Angus Spring Bull Sale   2014 Keeney Angus Spring  Bull Sale I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 07, 2013 9:05 pm

MKeeney wrote:

Turkey would have been good Mike but we really enjoyed the Lunch at the dock also. a good day! thanks for everything..
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Keeney Angus Spring Bull Sale   2014 Keeney Angus Spring  Bull Sale I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 07, 2013 9:16 pm

Travis, ultimately, as TomD has already hinted, I pass my final judgment on breeders by the women they partner with...Linda and I agree; Shirley has put you over the top Very Happy cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Keeney Angus Spring Bull Sale   2014 Keeney Angus Spring  Bull Sale I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

2014 Keeney Angus Spring Bull Sale
Page 1 of 14Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 7 ... 14  Next