Keeney`s Corner
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Random gene combinations?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Grassfarmer

Random gene combinations? Empty
PostSubject: Random gene combinations?   Random gene combinations? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2013 6:50 pm

What the heck is going on here? A lesson to me in not judging things based on phenotype.
I have a few Char (x baldie, I think) cows that I bought as bred cows on a whim because they were $480 back in '08. I bred them to a particular Luing bull they really seemed to nick with and the worst looking pair of them turn in a couple of my biggest, best steers this winter.
Random gene combinations? DSCF2523
A phenotype I don't like but I give her credit - she winters with the fattest of the Luings on banked grass and always breeds back.
Random gene combinations? DSCF2532
This year's calf.
Random gene combinations? DSCF2526
This girl is more Bonsma type but she is too frail for my system and winters with the lean/young cows and will be gone next year.
Random gene combinations? DSCF2530
Her steer is going to make great eating.
Random gene combinations? DSCF2509-1
Sire of the calves - one of my custom herd's sires. A very thick little bull. Maybe too much so for my liking.
Back to top Go down
http://www.luingcattle.com
PatB

PostSubject: Re: Random gene combinations?   Random gene combinations? I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2013 7:10 pm

Dad used to have a cow who was called skinny minnie who look like she was bcs 4 or under but always rebred and brought in one of the largest calves every year for about 10 years.
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: Random gene combinations?   Random gene combinations? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 27, 2013 7:09 am

Quote :
What the heck is going on here? A lesson to me in not judging things based on phenotype.

I've decided that the question needs to be, "Can they consistantly replicate themselves in their daughters?" when the search is on for maternal function. There are too many "one generational wonders" that are advertised and sold as cure-alls. But it has to be as much of a sire selection problem by the breeder as it does to always blame the cow.
Back to top Go down
Grassfarmer

PostSubject: Re: Random gene combinations?   Random gene combinations? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 27, 2013 9:50 am

I would agree Eddie although in this case the intention was a terminal product not maternal albeit we hope the bull used will be at least "good enough" on the maternal front when used on maternal type cows.
Back to top Go down
http://www.luingcattle.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Random gene combinations?   Random gene combinations? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Random gene combinations?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Keeney`s Corner :: Breeding Philosophies :: Breeding Philosophies-
Jump to: