Keeney`s Corner
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The most efficient cow is...

Go down 
+5
Bob H
MKeeney
Tom D
Grassfarmer
LCP
9 posters
AuthorMessage
LCP

The most efficient cow is... Empty
PostSubject: The most efficient cow is...   The most efficient cow is... I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2012 12:06 am

The most efficient cow is the one with the highest milk potential that can, without reducing the percentage of calves successfully weaned, repeatedly produce a calf by bulls with the growth and carcass characteristics valued most in the marketplace. (Barry Dunn, used to be director at the king Ranch Institute, now dean of ag and bio at SD State U. )

Agree or disagree, or add to it?

I might add something about being able to replace herself at some point.
Back to top Go down
Grassfarmer

PostSubject: Re: The most efficient cow is...   The most efficient cow is... I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2012 9:45 am

The most efficient cow is ..... the one that can do it all. Laudable goals but easier said than done at ranch level.
Back to top Go down
http://www.luingcattle.com
Tom D
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The most efficient cow is...   The most efficient cow is... I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2012 11:05 am

The most efficient cow is........ a sheep.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The most efficient cow is...   The most efficient cow is... I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2012 2:17 pm

no script with these slides, you shouldn`t need one, from one of my favorite academics...

http://www.nbcec.org/professionals/slides/bb12/Daley.pdf

this one line says plenty; and I think we know why the following is true...

"We have not focused on maternal and paternal lines...we have spent far too much time trying to blur those lines rather than utilize the differences.

Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
Bob H

PostSubject: Re: The most efficient cow is...   The most efficient cow is... I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 04, 2012 8:20 pm

I agree with what Barry started to say but would add that she needs to do it in her enviroment without supplementation and be able to reproduce herself. If she doesn't you are out of there in 10 to 12 years. Bob H
Back to top Go down
Kip

PostSubject: Re: The most efficient cow is...   The most efficient cow is... I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2012 6:12 pm

How is a breeder staying consistent? not measuring constantly? What is the valuable data? What are the tools your are using to make breeding choices toward improvement?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The most efficient cow is...   The most efficient cow is... I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2012 8:22 pm

Kip wrote:
How is a breeder staying consistent? not measuring constantly? What is the valuable data? What are the tools your are using to make breeding choices toward improvement?

The more main stream breeders measure the less consistent they become.
Back to top Go down
Kent Powell

PostSubject: Re: The most efficient cow is...   The most efficient cow is... I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2012 6:47 am

What measurement for consistency exists? Deviation from the mean? That deviation IS the goal on the mean breeder, and a few pretty nice ones.
Back to top Go down
http://powellangus.com
Kip

PostSubject: Re: The most efficient cow is...   The most efficient cow is... I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2012 1:18 pm

, what are your bench marks for finding an average, shouldn't there be a set of "constants" breeder to breeder?, other than the individual herds environment?
Back to top Go down
Kent Powell

PostSubject: Re: The most efficient cow is...   The most efficient cow is... I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2012 3:11 pm

Selection for function over time.
Back to top Go down
outsidethebox

PostSubject: Re: The most efficient cow is...   The most efficient cow is... I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2012 3:18 pm

Kip wrote:
, what are your bench marks for finding an average, shouldn't there be a set of "constants" breeder to breeder?, other than the individual herds environment?

Yes. Minimal maintenance and maximal profit.
Back to top Go down
Kip

PostSubject: Re: The most efficient cow is...   The most efficient cow is... I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 15, 2012 11:55 am

Ok, function makes good simple sense, Thanks However the most important variables for function would be environment, management, genetics, in that order ?
Back to top Go down
Kent Powell

PostSubject: Re: The most efficient cow is...   The most efficient cow is... I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 15, 2012 12:01 pm

I do not know any commercial cattleman in this area whose environment and management even approaches the levels supplied and provided by even the average registered producer, so how can their benchmarks on function have any transferance to expected commercial performance?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The most efficient cow is...   The most efficient cow is... I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 15, 2012 12:17 pm

Kip wrote:
Ok, function makes good simple sense, Thanks However the most important variables for function would be environment, management, genetics, in that order ?

Genes will turn on or off depending on the environmental requirements required to adapt functional cattle have this ability. Where un functional cattle do not.
There for selection over time is the result in the balanced adapted cow herd all the measuring in the world will not, determine this eventual out come as only time and environment have this control. you can manipulate all the data you want and it will always vary do to environmental limitations and genetic limitations. every bovine gene is already in the mixing bowl, The key is to minimize the variations. with selection over time.
Back to top Go down
Kip

PostSubject: Re: The most efficient cow is...   The most efficient cow is... I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 27, 2012 6:19 pm

So if a breeder left a herd alone for a 200 years and no new genetics were introduced, essentially let nature manage, and herd came into balance with it's environment, ie reproduction and death rate etc, What choices of that breeder would still be evident?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The most efficient cow is...   The most efficient cow is... I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 27, 2012 7:23 pm

Depends on where you got your original herd. from LL or GAR. Also Kip, you need good fences to keep out the HBR cattle. DV... near a herd of 500 pronghorns who got it going.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The most efficient cow is...   The most efficient cow is... I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 27, 2012 10:02 pm

Each environment will have a different type and size. And this just maybe your answer as this is the only breed that i have known to have selected themselves for 200yrs.

http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/cattle/texaslonghorn/index.htm
Back to top Go down
jonken

PostSubject: Re: The most efficient cow is...   The most efficient cow is... I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 27, 2012 10:42 pm

Kip wrote:
So if a breeder left a herd alone for a 200 years and no new genetics were introduced, essentially let nature manage, and herd came into balance with it's environment, ie reproduction and death rate etc, What choices of that breeder would still be evident?
Maybe color . Jon
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The most efficient cow is...   The most efficient cow is... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The most efficient cow is...
Page 1 of 1