Keeney`s Corner
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

A Tale of Two Calves

Go down 
+10
EddieM
tc
OAK LANE FARM
Angus 62
df
Mark Day
RobertMac
Charles
CW
MKeeney
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Hilly

A Tale of Two Calves - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Tale of Two Calves   A Tale of Two Calves - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 17, 2010 10:51 am

RobertMac wrote:
EddieM wrote:
I don't think that we are talking late puberty, just a slower maturing to final size.
That is probably my problem...not using the same definitions. As for growing to final size, my bulls don't reach final size until 3 or 4...cows probably about the same...I don't push them with high quality feed sources. As for reaching puberty to breed, I had three heifers 2 years ago to breed at 9 months...at least one of their bull mates had reached puberty.

Is that a good thing or a bad thing or indifferent?

That happens here as well and can be frustrating from my poor management stand point Embarassed .

But should one select for it and if so what in the spherical analogy will you give up. At some point there will be an optimum for your operation what selection criteria would one use to stay there....your environment, did you have a good year two years ago... do you seek and use that young bull as I would assume he has a well functioning endocrine system.

Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: A Tale of Two Calves   A Tale of Two Calves - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 6:16 am

Hilly wrote:
RobertMac wrote:
EddieM wrote:
I don't think that we are talking late puberty, just a slower maturing to final size.
That is probably my problem...not using the same definitions. As for growing to final size, my bulls don't reach final size until 3 or 4...cows probably about the same...I don't push them with high quality feed sources. As for reaching puberty to breed, I had three heifers 2 years ago to breed at 9 months...at least one of their bull mates had reached puberty.

Is that a good thing or a bad thing or indifferent?

That happens here as well and can be frustrating from my poor management stand point Embarassed .

But should one select for it and if so what in the spherical analogy will you give up. At some point there will be an optimum for your operation what selection criteria would one use to stay there....your environment, did you have a good year two years ago... do you seek and use that young bull as I would assume he has a well functioning endocrine system.

Gelbvieh cross heifers always showed early puberty here; and were very inclined to be open as cows...maybe feed; mayber fertility...anyway, I view early puberty as...early puberty...and nothing more
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: A Tale of Two Calves   A Tale of Two Calves - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 6:44 am

grabbed a few more pics yesterday of the dis-favored sire group just to show the bull sires the same kind consistently...

A Tale of Two Calves - Page 2 765-794
A Tale of Two Calves - Page 2 765-0139
A Tale of Two Calves - Page 2 765-1
we`ll follow these in time; not sure I have a heifer by the bull in the fall babies...the top linebred Shoshone calf will likely be kept a bull

off thread subject, but I did come across the cow whose son is our most promising Model B prospect slated for heavy in our paradigm of "types"...pointing her out to blow away the Pharo BS that you need little cows to "flesh"...what is neccessary is guts and capacity relative to mature size
A Tale of Two Calves - Page 2 928dam
her retained calf, an outlier from the Model A selection paradigm of 45 lb yearling weight epds, weighed 738 @weaning...20 months old now; pictures soon
Back to top Go down
RobertMac

PostSubject: Re: A Tale of Two Calves   A Tale of Two Calves - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 11:34 am

MikeK wrote:
...anyway, I view early puberty as...early puberty...and nothing more
Early puberty is one indicator of endocrine function...that's more than nothing.
Is later puberty an indicator of flawed endocrine function? Not necessarily, but most all 'flawed' endocrine function will be later puberty.

Tom Lasater...we lose some good ones, but we get all the lemons.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: A Tale of Two Calves   A Tale of Two Calves - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 11:53 am

but he hasn`t run out of lemons, has he?
Back to top Go down
RobertMac

PostSubject: Re: A Tale of Two Calves   A Tale of Two Calves - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 2:43 pm

but who will?
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: A Tale of Two Calves   A Tale of Two Calves - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 3:02 pm

RobertMac wrote:
but who will?
I finally decided to study, rather than read Larry`s summation of breeding; I find it very thorough...; and in my analysis and application, it calls for stabalization at optimum and harmonious levels...
I have come to believe the phenotypic selection criteria self-governs the level of inbreeding or degree of prepotency; that production levels are self-governed by the environment; that milk levels and carcass values are self-governed by their effect on composition and that composition has the greatest impact on functional reproductivity. So improving prepotency of composition once identified seems to be ‘priority 1′ at ANY preferred production level.” - Larry Leonhardt
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Tale of Two Calves   A Tale of Two Calves - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 4:18 pm

I have come to believe the phenotypic selection criteria self-governs the level of inbreeding or degree of prepotency; that production levels are self-governed by the environment; that milk levels and carcass values are self-governed by their effect on composition and that composition has the greatest impact on functional reproductivity. So improving prepotency of composition once identified seems to be ‘priority 1′ at ANY preferred production level.” - Larry Leonhardt

This has to be my new favorite, and most pleasing to read, on this site so far. Thank you.
Back to top Go down
Mean Spirit

PostSubject: Re: A Tale of Two Calves   A Tale of Two Calves - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 5:47 pm

RobertMac wrote:
MikeK wrote:
...anyway, I view early puberty as...early puberty...and nothing more
Early puberty is one indicator of endocrine function...that's more than nothing.
Is later puberty an indicator of flawed endocrine function? Not necessarily, but most all 'flawed' endocrine function will be later puberty.

Tom Lasater...we lose some good ones, but we get all the lemons.

Why isn't early puberty considered abnormal? I'm certain early puberty is considered abnormal in human kids.

http://www.aafp.org/afp/990700ap/209.html

Back to top Go down
MikeJ

PostSubject: Re: A Tale of Two Calves   A Tale of Two Calves - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 6:12 pm

Last edited by MikeJ on Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: A Tale of Two Calves   A Tale of Two Calves - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 6:41 pm

dwight@steadfastbeef.com wrote:

This has to be my new favorite, and most pleasing to read, on this site so far. Thank you.

Classic Leonhardt writing...I would want to say it like this..."can you get past pretty to instill prepotency"...and since most can`t, I could just skip the remainder Smile
Back to top Go down
trevorgreycattleco

trevorgreycattleco

Location : central Ohio exactly the center. stuck in the middle

PostSubject: Re: A Tale of Two Calves   A Tale of Two Calves - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 11:31 pm

If I could breed or aquire prepotent cows would I be of real concern of their "look". I think not. Shouldn't that take care of itself?
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: A Tale of Two Calves   A Tale of Two Calves - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 23, 2010 2:45 am

trevorgreycattleco wrote:
If I could breed or aquire prepotent cows would I be of real concern of their "look". I think not. Shouldn't that take care of itself?
I believe so...provided at least someone else felt the same way; so you had a potential buyer ...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Tale of Two Calves   A Tale of Two Calves - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A Tale of Two Calves
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2