Keeney`s Corner
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

After 50 years, you would have thought...

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
MKeeney
Admin

After 50 years, you would have thought... Empty
PostSubject: After 50 years, you would have thought...   After 50 years, you would have thought... I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 10, 2012 8:20 am

I gotta write an ad for the state beef publication TODAY and I`m scrambling for ideas...this fall marks the 50 anniversary of me buying 2 registered Angus heifers that changed my life interests and direction...

i`m thinking of something like...

After 50 years of cattle breeding, you would have thought...

that scientific advancements would have created a breeding industry based on genetic differentiation; instead it has created a breeding industry based on even greater promotion

that breed associations would be co-operators in enhancing commercial profitability, instead they are competitors for a greater share of the commercial producers expenses

that performance evaluation of individuals would have led to greater understanding and use of complimentary types; instead it has perpetuated contests and promoted outliers

that cattle shows would not even exist, instead they flourish as an educational event and the winners are as irrelevant to commercial production as ever

that...your turn Smile

Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com

PostSubject: Re: After 50 years, you would have thought...   After 50 years, you would have thought... I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 10, 2012 9:45 am

I was talking to briann today and we were discussing change. I have two neighbors that have large ranches over 4000 pair each. One is the hardest working family you will ever meet they are steadfast in haying all summer and feeding it all winter and they break even every year. The other has always been felxable and they go with the flow and have bred there own Beefmaster type cattle for years using there own home bred bulls and they run more cattle with less people and more free time and they are very profitable. But the status quo condemns how they do things. Quite a tough topic Mike good luck.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: After 50 years, you would have thought...   After 50 years, you would have thought... I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 10, 2012 10:34 am

MKeeney wrote:
I gotta write an ad for the state beef publication TODAY and I`m scrambling for ideas...this fall marks the 50 anniversary of me buying 2 registered Angus heifers that changed my life interests and direction...

that scientific advancements would have created a breeding industry based on genetic differentiation; instead it has created a breeding industry based on even greater promotion

that breed associations would be co-operators in enhancing commercial profitability, instead they are competitors for a greater share of the commercial producers expenses

that performance evaluation of individuals would have led to greater understanding and use of complimentary types; instead it has perpetuated contests and promoted outliers

that cattle shows would not even exist, instead they flourish as an educational event and the winners are as irrelevant to commercial production as ever

that...your turn Smile

that commercial economics would have given rise to genetic companies as the primary scource of parent stock; instead hobby breeders with money from outside cattle breeding are the primary scource of seedstock
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: After 50 years, you would have thought...   After 50 years, you would have thought... I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 10, 2012 1:00 pm

MKeeney wrote:
MKeeney wrote:

that...your turn Smile

that commercial economics would have given rise to genetic companies as the primary scource of parent stock; instead hobby breeders with money from outside cattle breeding are the primary scource of seedstock

that cattlemen would be more independent and self-responsible; instead of an ever increasing amount of fees and beauracratic, job security red tape ; of the cattleman`s own approval...no where more evident than in KY...
Back to top Go down
Danny Miller

PostSubject: Re: After 50 years, you would have thought...   After 50 years, you would have thought... I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 10, 2012 1:08 pm

MKeeney wrote:

that...your turn Smile

Pretty good Mike.....I know you will put the iceing on this cake when you finish it!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.jmsvictordomino.com
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: After 50 years, you would have thought...   After 50 years, you would have thought... I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2012 7:21 am

lost my re-write last night...deadline pressure this morning Exclamation Smile

but as I struggle along, this thought occurred to me...

is this phrase an oxymoron???

leadership training
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: After 50 years, you would have thought...   After 50 years, you would have thought... I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2012 8:34 am

You`ve come a long way, Angus...circling right back to where you started from 150 years ago...

After 50 years, you would have thought... Kinochtry_heifers-1

This November marks the 50th anniversary of buying 2 Angus heifers that changed my interests and direction and became my life`s primary work; culminating in the 400 maternally bred females we turned 15 Keeney Angus bulls with this spring...it seems like we started only yesterday, but...

After 50 years of seeing shorts, fats, giants, cripples, nurse cows, and now pot-gutted sway backs defined as cattle breeding, you would have thought...

that scientific advancements would have created a breeding industry based on genetic differentiation and prepotency; instead it has created a breeding industry based on even greater promotion of unpredictable variation...

that breed associations would be co-operators in enhancing commercial profitability and lowering producer cost, instead they compete for and encourage larger commercial production expense...

that performance evaluation of individuals would have led to greater understanding and use of complimentary types; instead it has perpetuated contests and promoted outliers...

that cattle shows would not even exist, instead they flourish disguised as an educational event and the winners are as irrelevant to commercial production as ever...

that commercial economics would have given rise to genetic companies as the primary source of parent stock; instead fad following, hobby breeders with money from outside cattle breeding are the primary source of seedstock and perpetuation of registered cattle...

that cattlemen would be more independent and self-responsible; instead of an ever increasing amount of self-imposed tax creating more bureaucratic paper shufflers while conceding more authority to various forms of giverment {not a miss-spelling}; no where more evident than in KY...

and then I remember...

that science and economics always play second fiddle to human nature; that human nature has and will never change; the considerable genetic variation necessary for survival of the human species...

and so I am thankful...

for the few genuine cattle breeders I have met who have made a difference in my life and breeding directions; those, who against all odds, tried to change an industry and for the most part failed; and still chose the road less traveled and were successful enough to find the way to contentment and the satisfaction of knowing they did their best with what they had...

and I am encouraged and hopeful...

for the ever increasing number of young men and women I find via modern communication who are different; who will attempt to make a difference; and if they fail to change an industry; they will stand exemplary that independent thought and self-responsibility can lead to rewards beyond the commonplace...
You are invited to meet many of them; and other like minded cattle breeders at the McNamee Miles City Gathering, Aug 10-11...for details call me, or go on the web to http://www.keeneyscorner.com/t608-mcnamee-miles-city-gathering-aug-10-11
and in celebration of 50 years breeding cattle...
You are invited to the Fall 2012 Keeney Angus Bull and Heifer Sale November 10, 2012...selling 20 Angus and 4 Charolais yearling bulls; and 40 bred heifers...for details, call, visit, or on the web

http://www.keeneyscorner.com/t582-keeney-angus-april-7-bull-and-heifer-sale
Back to top Go down
Danny Miller

PostSubject: Re: After 50 years, you would have thought...   After 50 years, you would have thought... I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2012 9:58 am

I knew you would put the icing on that cake!!! Wink Wink cheers cheers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: After 50 years, you would have thought...   After 50 years, you would have thought... I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2012 10:15 am

I think that cake don't need icing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
Danny Miller

PostSubject: Re: After 50 years, you would have thought...   After 50 years, you would have thought... I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2012 1:48 pm

I have enjoyed reading Mike's ads in our state association's paper "The Cow Country News" over the years.
His writings are dead on when he compares the real world to the fabricated registered business.
I don't show, don't reciprocate, and don't travel much anymore, don't buy outside (Outcross) genetics
so I am not a good prospect for the registured (Not missspelled) folks.
This will be a good ad Mike.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: After 50 years, you would have thought...   After 50 years, you would have thought... I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 7:19 am

these guys are making a bigger circle back Smile

Breeding of aurochs-like cattle

Heck cattle: an attempt from the 1920s to breed a look-alike from modern cattle

Main breeds used in TaurOs Project. Upper row from left to right: Limia, Maremmana primitivo, Maronesa. Lower row: Podolica, Sayaguesa, Pajuna. Down below, the phenotypic and ecologic breeding target, the Aurochs.
In the 1920s two German zoo directors (in Berlin and Munich), the brothers Heinz and Lutz Heck, began a selective breeding program in the attempt to breed back the aurochs into existence from the domestic cattle that were their descendants. Their plan was based that a species is not extinct as long as all its genes are still present in a living population.[39] The result is the breed called Heck cattle. Heck cattle breeders sometimes refer d on the concept to it as "Recreated Aurochs", or "Heck Aurochs". It is claimed to bear some resemblance to what is known about the appearance of the wild aurochs in colour and in some cases also horn shape.[8] Scientists of the Polish Foundation for Recreating the Aurochs (PFOT) in Poland want to use DNA from bones in museums to recreate the aurochs and return this animal to the forests of Poland. The project has gained the support of the Polish Ministry of the Environment. They plan research on ancient preserved DNA. Other research projects[which?] have extracted "ancient" DNA over the past twenty years and their results published in such periodicals as Nature and Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA.[full citation needed] Polish scientists believe that modern genetics and biotechnology make recreating an animal almost identical to aurochs possible. They say this research will lead to examining the causes of the extinction of the aurochs, and help prevent a similar occurrence with domestic cattle.[40][citation needed] In a similar program, TaurOs Project[41] is trying to DNA sequence breeds of primitive cattle to find gene sequences which match those found in "ancient DNA" from aurochs samples. The modern cattle would then be selectively bred to try to bring the aurochs-type genes back into a single animal.[42] TaurOs project selected a number of very primitive breeds mainly from Iberia and Italy, such as Sayaguesa Cattle, Maremmana primitivo, Pajuna Cattle, Limia Cattle, Maronesa, Tudanca Cattle and others, which already bear considerable resemblance to the aurochs in certain features. Numerous crossbreed calves have been born already.[43]

Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: After 50 years, you would have thought...   After 50 years, you would have thought... I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2012 8:58 pm

a couple of little ego strokes are "enough" to make it all worthwhile Smile
another...

Mike

What has happened, not only have you seen the light, but you have become a beacon. Great going, will reply longer when I get time

gavin

awww, not a beacon, but just a combining and focusing of all the lights that have shone before and for me....

Back to top Go down
moemantha

PostSubject: Re: After 50 years, you would have thought...   After 50 years, you would have thought... I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 7:00 pm

if the registered sector is a joke and a farce I am suprised you would be advertising at all.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: After 50 years, you would have thought...   After 50 years, you would have thought... I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 10:33 pm

moemantha wrote:
if the registered sector is a joke and a farce I am suprised you would be advertising at all.

if? if it is? the bigger joke it is, the greater the need to create and advertise an alternative...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: After 50 years, you would have thought...   After 50 years, you would have thought... I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 5:47 am

MKeeney wrote:
moemantha wrote:

if? if it is? the bigger joke it is, the greater the need to create and advertise an alternative...

Some think they have to be registered, to be seedstock.

Some think they ought to have to be seedstock, to be registered.

Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: After 50 years, you would have thought...   After 50 years, you would have thought... I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 6:14 am

Bootheel wrote:
MKeeney wrote:
moemantha wrote:

Some think they have to be registered, to be seedstock.

Some think they ought to have to be seedstock, to be registered.

wallhanger material cheers
Back to top Go down
moemantha

PostSubject: Re: After 50 years, you would have thought...   After 50 years, you would have thought... I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 7:35 pm

MKeeney wrote:
moemantha wrote:

Agreed, some might take that as another way of drinking the koolaid........ For those of us that have been lead down the garden path and are constantly learning from our mistakes. One alternative to another might look just as dangerous. Many have offered genetics that will be beneficial.
Back to top Go down
Bob H

PostSubject: Re: After 50 years, you would have thought...   After 50 years, you would have thought... I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 23, 2012 8:57 pm

I do not think that it is a joke. I think that it lacks alot of integrety and true understanding of breeding cattle. Bob H
Back to top Go down
moemantha

PostSubject: Re: After 50 years, you would have thought...   After 50 years, you would have thought... I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2012 10:47 am

Bob H wrote:
I do not think that it is a joke. I think that it lacks alot of integrety and true understanding of breeding cattle. Bob H

Agreed
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: After 50 years, you would have thought...   After 50 years, you would have thought... I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 8:42 pm

This might not be the right spot for this info but it is not worth starting a new thread. We had a couple of cows calve from the KA source this week bred to a K A bull. Not sure that an EPD or two or a couple of more decades could predict the results:

Cow 198 calved 9/19/11 calved 7/29/12 approximate service date 10/20/11
Cow 213 calved 10/09/11 calved 7/30/12 approximate service date 10/21/11

All on average grazing and hay and minerals. Nothing named "Wide Anything" or "Something Creek" in the pedigrees. I guess I like it dull. I'll try to get some pictures so we can discuss type.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: After 50 years, you would have thought...   After 50 years, you would have thought... I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2012 9:53 pm

EddieM wrote:
This might not be the right spot for this info but it is not worth starting a new thread. We had a couple of cows calve from the KA source this week bred to a K A bull. Not sure that an EPD or two or a couple of more decades could predict the results:

Cow 198 calved 9/19/11 calved 7/29/12 approximate service date 10/20/11
Cow 213 calved 10/09/11 calved 7/30/12 approximate service date 10/21/11

All on average grazing and hay and minerals. Nothing named "Wide Anything" or "Something Creek" in the pedigrees. I guess I like it dull. I'll try to get some pictures so we can discuss type.

sounds like the Bob Howard index...put the boy with the girls and make babies...
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: After 50 years, you would have thought...   After 50 years, you would have thought... I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 05, 2012 3:59 pm

[img]After 50 years, you would have thought... 213_1mod[/img]

213 and calf less than a week old

[img]After 50 years, you would have thought... 198_4mod[/img]

198 and calf less than a week old

[img]After 50 years, you would have thought... 9_937_2mod[/img]

This cow would be about a half sib to the calves

[img]After 50 years, you would have thought... 737mod[/img]

Don't know if you remember the heavy Felix son from last year. This is one of the daughters.

The grass is the best we have after about a 4 week rest and rotation. It will not last too long.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: After 50 years, you would have thought...   After 50 years, you would have thought... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

After 50 years, you would have thought...
Page 1 of 1