Keeney`s Corner
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

wall hangers

Go down 
+16
Tom D
Bob H
EddieM
pukerimu
Angus 62
RobertMac
tulip
rross
MVCatt
Grassfarmer
Dylan Biggs
Kent Powell
Roy
chocolate cow
MKeeney
larkota
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
jonken

wall hangers - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: wall hangers   wall hangers - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2015 1:24 am

Tom D wrote:
jonken wrote:
Tom D wrote:
Cynicism is what passes for insight among the mediocre.

-Joe Klein

I currently feel superior , however my sight  has weakened . May I witness the next decade .     Jon

Why be a witness when you can be a codefendant?

" The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it ."
  George Bernard Shaw
Back to top Go down
Tom D
Admin

PostSubject: Re: wall hangers   wall hangers - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2015 1:28 pm

Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist.

-George Carlin
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: wall hangers   wall hangers - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2015 5:32 am

the last two have been something of a relief...and inspire

wall hangers - Page 6 DeterminationCA62QAFS_zpsa521b6d3
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
tulip

PostSubject: Re: wall hangers   wall hangers - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2015 3:19 pm

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."
(Margret Mead)
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: wall hangers   wall hangers - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2015 7:44 am

tulip wrote:
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."
(Margret Mead)

I have my doubts Smile ...but maybe the problem is my lack of thought; that leaves the theory intact... Smile
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: wall hangers   wall hangers - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2015 3:37 pm

Pity the poor person who must persist in a state of perpetual pucker to pleasure a pompous ass.
mwk
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: wall hangers   wall hangers - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeSun May 24, 2015 6:36 am

There is always need of persons not only to discover new truths, and point out when what were once truths are true no longer, but also to commence new practices, and set the example of more enlightened conduct, and better taste and sense in human life.
-- John Stuart Mill
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: wall hangers   wall hangers - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2015 6:28 am

I hope that I quit or die before I have to fool myself to feel fulfilled.

anonymous
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: wall hangers   wall hangers - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2015 6:39 am

MKeeney wrote:
There is always need of persons not only to discover new truths, and point out when what were once truths are true no longer, but also to commence new practices, and set the example of more enlightened conduct, and better taste and sense in human life.
-- John Stuart Mill

Just because you are "doing your own thing" doesn`t mean your thing amounts to anything more than adding to the growing heap of BS.
mwk
Back to top Go down
larkota

PostSubject: Re: wall hangers   wall hangers - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2015 11:15 am

just trying to enjoy life accepting what is ....is, and whatever can be.....will be, whether I'm here to help....or not.

"Making the simple complicated is commonplace, Making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, That's creativity"
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: wall hangers   wall hangers - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 03, 2015 5:54 pm

When you are one of a few there is little difference in the best and the worst.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: wall hangers   wall hangers - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2015 6:24 pm

Self –reliance is the antidote to institutional insanity.
Kendra
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: wall hangers   wall hangers - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2015 8:31 pm

Tiger Woods: 'Golf is a lonely sport'

so is cattle breeding until you can make it a business...
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: wall hangers   wall hangers - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2015 6:33 pm

Quote :
The Genetic saying for this month is “Every animal is only as good as the average performance of its progeny. Therefore its best son is better than his sire”. This is the reason why the best bull in your herd is superior to his sire.

Quite a stretch. If the average of the sire is a given then why is a son on one side of the bell curve anything more than a counterbalance for a son on the other side. No explanation of why the average would be any different one generation out unless the cow was superior in measured traits than the sire. If this quote is true why are the bulls in stud for more than a year or why would anyone sell semen that is more than 2 years old for anything else but salvage cost?

How many times must I say it before I believe it? Will you drip water on the bottom of my bare foot to enhance my learning?

I'd rather that the saying be "Every animal is only as good as the prepotency of its progeny to be nearly equal, highly predictable and relatively trouble free while meeting the breeder's needs. Therefore the majority of the sons can replace his sire." Then, dear friends, we have a lot of winners instead of one great!
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: wall hangers   wall hangers - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2015 9:55 pm

A typical, university devised performance program , staying within the confines of a small population rather than using an entire breed population{and getting the unknown that comes with the known}...is the purpose of a breed economic improvement through change or stabilization and greater predictability?
it really seems you can; and people/breeders do, use about selection paradigm you wish, and none are so superior to have established itself as the primary methodology...again to quote LL,
You can breed whatever type you are willing to support...

I believe a systems approach harnessing hybrid power using complimentary types has the most economic advantages...but the number of practitioner's of such an approach says otherwise...

Larry and I were rather amused and mystified by the idea of not selling females for fear "of breeders catching up"...Megan has certainly shed light on that theory; most sell the un-needed for replacement purebred heifers for beef because so few want or need them to get in the seedstock business in NZ... Shocked

the AAA thrives on breeder turnover...I noticed 8 yr olds can now be jr members; start the future buyer young...oh well, Lexi played in the US Open at 12 Very Happy

Where`s the sense in that? Dido
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: wall hangers   wall hangers - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2015 6:44 am

snooping around through the internet pastures, I came across these products of a forage test...

a 3/4 Pinebank

wall hangers - Page 6 6911495_orig_zpslqehos9s

a half sib mating, 7/8 Keeney

wall hangers - Page 6 5904655_orig_zpsv6euif22

proving nothing more than how desperate the registered business is to find ways to BS...Why graze bulls for "test"? what does it prove? absolutely nothing Exclamation  just more BS  to promote a sale mechanism ...why are forage bulls in a dry pen? oh, to ultrasound I suppose, and to do a hd 50? why not, for more bs about individuality
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: wall hangers   wall hangers - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2015 10:16 am

Hope somebody gives a +$500/each speech. Would be like buying a truck with extra chrome. When you ride by all the neighbors will look. Or that is the dream.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: wall hangers   wall hangers - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2015 1:20 pm

Notice too that the old 5barx er that had a do everything linebred fescue functional angus bull that wasn't linebred at all, is now crossing with barzona Why?

I don't mind reading this bs, but now and then you gotta remind them that you aren't dumb enough to believe it

Hope you aren't fencing Eddie...its hot in ga
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: wall hangers   wall hangers - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2015 2:30 pm

MKeeney wrote:
Notice too that the old 5barx er that had a do everything linebred fescue functional  angus bull that wasn't linebred  at all, is now crossing with barzona   Why?

I don't mind reading this bs, but now and then you gotta remind them that you aren't dumb enough to believe it

Hope you aren't fencing Eddie...its hot in ga

Got back to fencing some last week before the sheep sales picked up. I about got too hot this morning while it was "cooler" - moving sheep that though that where they were was good enough. Just trying to get some to new homes. A fellow is on his way from MS now. I hope he didn't think he had a monopoly on "hot" before he left home! He was kind enough to offer to drop off some in AL tomorrow on the way back.

Ah-h-h, Barzona. Add another wire to the top, boys. We've got to try to catch them things.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: wall hangers   wall hangers - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 18, 2015 8:00 am

"Injecting outside blood into a proven, attested, selected genetic pattern is a crime of the same enormity as a burglar's breaking into one's home and leaving furniture, fixtures and precious keepsakes in a state of utter disarray".
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: wall hangers   wall hangers - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 04, 2015 9:44 am

Split the size difference as an average, a 3 frame bred to a 6 should average 4.5, on average. I would expect 50% around 4.5, 25% smaller, 25% bigger, considering the randomness of genes.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: wall hangers   wall hangers - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 04, 2015 1:23 pm

EddieM wrote:
Split the size difference as an average, a 3 frame bred to a 6 should average 4.5, on average. I would expect 50% around 4.5, 25% smaller, 25% bigger, considering the randomness of genes.

100 % heritability is a given among marketers...
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: wall hangers   wall hangers - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 05, 2015 3:14 pm

MKeeney wrote:
EddieM wrote:

100 % heritability is a given among marketers...
Either he forgot, didn't experience, thinks he is immune to due to deep intellect - repeat of small cows bred to big bulls of 40 years ago. Get the puller, look for variable markets, end up with 100% mutts. Here is a dumb idea: breed FS 4.5 to FS 4.5 for consistent marketable product. Glad he at least knows the future is random. He will not be disappointed.
Back to top Go down
jonken

PostSubject: Re: wall hangers   wall hangers - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2015 10:08 pm

" I think he stood on merit and experience and the willingness to lose while winning "   EddieM
Back to top Go down
larkota

PostSubject: Re: wall hangers   wall hangers - Page 6 I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2015 11:34 pm

Can't milk a cow when she goes dry. Same for bank accounts.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: wall hangers   wall hangers - Page 6 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

wall hangers
Page 6 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Keeney`s Corner :: Breeding Philosophies :: Breeding Philosophies-
Jump to: