Keeney`s Corner
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Hybrid Production

Go down 
+2
Bob H
Kent Powell
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Kent Powell

Hybrid Production Empty
PostSubject: Hybrid Production   Hybrid Production I_icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2012 8:59 am

Hybrid Production Hybridvigor

Hybrid Production Hybrid1

Hybrid Production Hybridvigor3dihybrid

Hybrid Production Hybridvigor2

Hybrid Production Hybrid5

Hybrid Production Hybrid4
Back to top Go down
http://powellangus.com
Kent Powell

Hybrid Production Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hybrid Production   Hybrid Production I_icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2012 9:04 am

Open Pollinated:

Hybrid Production Openpollinated3

Hybrid Production Openpollinated2

Hybrid Production Openpollinated1
Back to top Go down
Bob H

Hybrid Production Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hybrid Production   Hybrid Production I_icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2012 9:19 am

Great post the truth lies in the pictures hard to call the BS Bob H
Back to top Go down
Kent Powell

Hybrid Production Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hybrid Production   Hybrid Production I_icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2012 10:51 am

Back to top Go down
Will

Hybrid Production Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hybrid Production   Hybrid Production I_icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2012 11:37 am

Two questions. Are cattle plants? And do hog producers go back to purebreds or a hybrid line?
Back to top Go down
jonken

Hybrid Production Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hybrid Production   Hybrid Production I_icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2012 11:58 am

Will wrote:
Two questions. Are cattle plants? And do hog producers go back to purebreds or a hybrid line?

NO And BOTH

Do GENETIC principles apply to ALL living things ?
Jon
Back to top Go down
Will

Hybrid Production Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hybrid Production   Hybrid Production I_icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2012 12:16 pm

Is hybrid corn seed fire and ice?
Back to top Go down
EddieM

Hybrid Production Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hybrid Production   Hybrid Production I_icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2012 1:10 pm

Will wrote:
Is hybrid corn seed fire and ice?

Looks like, from the pictures, more of a "luke warm" and "luke warm". You need a snazzy tag line for your sale: something like "Share the Hybrid Vigor with us" or "Are cows plants?" clown
Back to top Go down
Kent Powell

Hybrid Production Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hybrid Production   Hybrid Production I_icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2012 1:32 pm

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.”
Stuart Chase
Back to top Go down
Kent Powell

Hybrid Production Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hybrid Production   Hybrid Production I_icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2012 1:57 pm

Is crossing This:

Hybrid Production Openpollinated2

With This:

Hybrid Production Openpollinated1

Hybrid production?

Maybe a little bit. Damn little. Like a newsroom claiming diversity based on melanin production levels of their employees even though they all think like little commie robots.

What we have in the beef industry is a few breeding from the little ears and calling it _______ or ______, and the mainstream picking the big one as breeeding stock, testing them to see which big one produces bigger ones, and ignoring the cost of the throw aways. (puke factors are outliers too you know)

This is not genetic control. It is not divergence. It is not improvement. It is just changing the vocabulary to fit the trend and perpetuate the mixing pot all the while bragging about the purity, stability, and reliability of so called breeds (or composites).
Back to top Go down
Will

Hybrid Production Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hybrid Production   Hybrid Production I_icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2012 6:41 pm

If you are talking about Tru-Line I would agree with your comment. Do you have any experience raising or using the right hybrids?
Back to top Go down
Will

Hybrid Production Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hybrid Production   Hybrid Production I_icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2012 6:44 pm

Eddie, like always all I need is the facts. I have been doing it long enough that I and my customers have the proof. I have a banner in my sales barn that says "Welcome to Hybrid Country." Enough said!
Back to top Go down

Hybrid Production Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hybrid Production   Hybrid Production I_icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2012 2:31 am

The top chart showed the progeny of two crossed lines, being bred to a seperate two crossed line progeny, resulting in the ''Super Corn''.

Why don't they use the ''Super Corn'' for parent stock?

Back to top Go down
Will

Hybrid Production Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hybrid Production   Hybrid Production I_icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2012 5:55 am

Fire and ice mating? Maybe?
Back to top Go down
Will

Hybrid Production Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hybrid Production   Hybrid Production I_icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2012 6:00 am

Kent, got a good laugh out of your 1933 hog research site. Heck the boars did not want to mate with their littermate sisters for six or seven generations. Pretty smart boars. MK, any mating problems when you mate Son back to Mother? Good grief that thought just grosses me out!
Back to top Go down
MVCatt

Hybrid Production Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hybrid Production   Hybrid Production I_icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2012 7:20 am

Will wrote:
Kent, got a good laugh out of your 1933 hog research site. Heck the boars did not want to mate with their littermate sisters for six or seven generations. Pretty smart boars. MK, any mating problems when you mate Son back to Mother? Good grief that thought just grosses me out!

Will, I got two bulls out front from MK's, they'd breed you if they got the chance.
Back to top Go down
Kent Powell

Hybrid Production Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hybrid Production   Hybrid Production I_icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2012 8:38 am

Kent Powell wrote:
“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.”
Stuart Chase
Back to top Go down
EddieM

Hybrid Production Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hybrid Production   Hybrid Production I_icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2012 9:06 am

Quote :
Eddie, like always all I need is the facts.

Will, we totally agree: the facts would help you ... if you had them! What a Face
Back to top Go down
Will

Hybrid Production Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hybrid Production   Hybrid Production I_icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2012 10:50 am

MVCatt, I bet they would but I ain't their full brother.
Back to top Go down
Will

Hybrid Production Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hybrid Production   Hybrid Production I_icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2012 10:51 am

Fast Eddie, you raise bulls? Mind sharing the facts?
Back to top Go down
EddieM

Hybrid Production Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hybrid Production   Hybrid Production I_icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2012 12:39 pm

Will wrote:
Fast Eddie, you raise bulls? Mind sharing the facts?

Wild Will, you ever read anything on the topic of genetics? I believe that you have sold yourself short. You have the Leachman sales ability, quips, abilty to DEVELOP the facts down pretty pat. I am impressed. Now if you could only learn how to bat with a T Post with the chute loaded and you're on deck. You have added an element of entertainment here at KC. Maybe you ought to join over at 4.9 to get it up to a level of only slight cardiac arrest. Sleep
Back to top Go down
Kent Powell

Hybrid Production Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hybrid Production   Hybrid Production I_icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2012 12:37 pm

Back to top Go down
Kent Powell

Hybrid Production Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hybrid Production   Hybrid Production I_icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2012 5:38 pm

http://www.schaugarten-ueplingen.de/en/circuit-plant-science-garden/maize/hybrid-breeding.html

Mendel's laws of inheritance state that the superiority (vigor) of the hybrid is only expressed in first generation progency. This vigor is lost in subsequent generations. Using the harvest of hybrids for future sowings is thus linked with a substantial loss in yield making it unviable for farmers.
Back to top Go down
Kent Powell

Hybrid Production Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hybrid Production   Hybrid Production I_icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2012 5:39 pm

A recombinant organism - an organism that contains a different combination of alleles from either of its parents.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hybrid Production Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hybrid Production   Hybrid Production I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hybrid Production
Page 1 of 1