Keeney`s Corner
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

not measuring

Go down 
+2
df
Kent Powell
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Mark Day

not measuring - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: not measuring   not measuring - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2011 11:13 pm

Who fault is it if the Show Me Heifers do not produce a profit?
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: not measuring   not measuring - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2011 5:43 am

Mark Day wrote:
Who fault is it if the Show Me Heifers do not produce a profit?
if the seller infers they are "better", and they are not, that`s the first flaw...
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
RobertMac

PostSubject: Re: not measuring   not measuring - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2011 9:50 am

EPDs are very good at pointing direction. Human nature being what it is, bigger is always better...unless it's birth weight, then we are talking the quintessential pipe dream...curve bender!

EPD accuracy simply means that the data field is large enough that the measured EPD isn't likely to change...very little to do with actual reality.

All genetic response goes through environment. If an animal is not used in the same environment it was developed, the EPDs and actual data are of little, if any, value. Pork and poultry(and dairy to a large extent) are developed in controlled environments...apples and oranges in comparison to the beef industry(cow/calf).

My ignorance is a blessing!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: not measuring   not measuring - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

not measuring
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2