Keeney`s Corner
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Form follow's function

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Bob H

Form follow's function  Empty
PostSubject: Form follow's function    Form follow's function  I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 6:05 am

I was asked a while back about bull selection. My question is that if form follow's function and goodness has a type then how important is it to select the males to have spring of rib, bully heads, thick necks, slope of hip etc, to help reduce the outlayer's within a genotype?
Bob H
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Form follow's function    Form follow's function  I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 7:01 am

Bob,
I suppose it shouldn`t, but inbred selection confounds me; it wasn`t part of my formal education...just Shoshone schooled...the other day a young breeder I think highly of mentioned the "baggage" that comes from using a particular, tight bred individual...I asked "what baggage", and he described it...and as he did, I realized I had not only seen that baggage, but had bought it...a little short kind of bull that topped out at 1650...that when outcrossed, or at less lesser inbred, has a set of daughters that have size, volume, do-ability in a Bonsma wedge, and raise really good calves...three sons of these daughters already picked out at birth to use in 2012...
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
Bob H

PostSubject: Re: Form follow's function    Form follow's function  I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 10:07 pm

Was he of a different type or just less than because of inbreeding.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Form follow's function    Form follow's function  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Form follow's function
Page 1 of 1