Keeney`s Corner
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Young bull pictures

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Grassfarmer

Young bull pictures Empty
PostSubject: Young bull pictures   Young bull pictures I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 12:13 am

Thought I'd post some young bull pictures as we get ready to publish our next Breed Association Newsletter. Not a glossy publication - budget is under $100 per edition counting postage Smile
Bulls are just hitting 20 months and after a foolish foray into Pharo philosophies last winter they are smaller than they usually are for this time of year - in the 1100-1250lb range.

Three full brother ET calves that belong to a friend.
Young bull pictures Greywood3WScurrs
Young bull pictures Greywood4W
Young bull pictures GWL5W3
After the snow arrived in November the picture quality declined Sad as you can see above.

Two full brother ET's of mine out of an older style cow with very strong maternal traits.
Young bull pictures MRR10W
Young bull pictures MRR18W2
another of mine...
Young bull pictures MRR30W1
All six above are off the one sire.

The ones that don't sell:
Young bull pictures MRR21W
Rising 2 in my line-breeding program
Young bull pictures MRR6U
His rising 3 full brother - is he too much down on his pasterns?
I think these two demonstrate as much masculinity but less muscling than some of the others and I hope they will be my cow breeders. I will use three sons of my 23 year old cow next summer - including these two.

And finally a little bull that I like a lot - an 18.83 IBC son off the same bull as the first six. A very correct bull but trailing by 200lbs. Inbred regression or just an outlier for growth? Time will tell as I plan to try him experimentally this summer.
Young bull pictures MRR29W

Back to top Go down
http://www.luingcattle.com

PostSubject: Re: Young bull pictures   Young bull pictures I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 7:04 pm

Are your friend's bulls, out of your cows....bred the same.....what is the story.

In my random nature, wonder if someone has tried a Luing- Brahma cross......seems they have tried to add ear to everything else...

Nice work Grassy
Back to top Go down
Tom D
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Young bull pictures   Young bull pictures I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 7:31 pm

Bootheel wrote:
In my random nature, wonder if someone has tried a Luing- Brahma cross......seems they have tried to add ear to everything else...

My buddy has a Watusi-Highland cross. His herd bulls are White Park, Red Angus, and Normande. He's the only guy I know with Brahmas in Michigan. I guess he's not much into uniformity or conformity. (Or IBC scores) Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Grassfarmer

PostSubject: Re: Young bull pictures   Young bull pictures I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 1:23 am

Bootheel wrote:
Are your friend's bulls, out of your cows....bred the same.....what is the story.

Nice work Grassy

My friend is a part time cattleman with no permanent land-base so I run his cows with mine year round on a custom basis. I just about break even on the feeding but I get excellent help when I need it to work or trail cows Smile His foundation cows came from the same source as mine and are fairly closely related. I run a very small "forage raising program" for our breed - basically all the bulls of our breed in North America get reared here from weaning to sale as 2 year olds. It's convenient for buyers and allows us to really compare cattle from different herds under the same management.

As for breeding ear on Luings it's already been done. There was a Dr Hopkins of Oxford, Mississippi who bought some Luings in the 80's and ran them for a decade or more and crossed them with some Brahma types. I have no idea what his objective was - it makes no sense to me to take heavy coated cattle that are adapted to very cold and wet climates to a very hot climate.
Back to top Go down
http://www.luingcattle.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Young bull pictures   Young bull pictures I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Young bull pictures
Page 1 of 1