Keeney`s Corner
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Making Cows Out of Heifers

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Tom D
Admin

Making Cows Out of Heifers Empty
PostSubject: Making Cows Out of Heifers   Making Cows Out of Heifers I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 26, 2010 10:36 pm

The following is from an article by Dr. Patsy Houghton, owner/general manager, Heartland Cattle Company. It was in the middle of the 2009 Genex catalog. I won't copy the whole article, but i'll point out some highlights.

Heifers should mature at 1100 - 1300 lbs. depending on available feed resources. The key is to match weight with appropriate frame..... For example, a heifer that will mature at 1100 -1150 lbs. should be in the "high four" frame score category...

Feedyard progeny should mature at 1200 - 1400 lbs., with the ability to gain weight rapidly at minmal dry matter conversion rates. Exceptional cattle (depending on age and condition) can gain up to 5 lbs per day and convert feed to gain at a rate of five to one.

Females should consistently produce calves that can be harvested by 13 to 14 months of age with Choice, Yield grade 2 carcasses. Carcasses should be between 700 - 900 lbs.

Heifers should be fed at a controlled rate to weigh 65% of their mature body weight when they are first bred.

Body condition score should be 5.5 to 6.0 at time of first breeding.

Heifers should be synchronized to breed at 13 to 14 months of age.

At least 70% of all heifers should conceive by A. I. , on their first service, to a high accuracy EPD, multiple trait sire.

Heifers should be developed on a high roughage nutritional program so they will achieve 85% of their mature body by the time they calve the first time.

Heifers should calve unassisted at 22 - 23 months of age.

So, by my math, the heifer should weigh 715 at 13 months, 935 at 22 months, and then max out at 1100. And her steer calf should finish at 13 - 14 months with a choice, YG 2, 700 lb. carcass. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Now, out of the 108 bulls in this Genex catalog, how many had mature frame scores less than 5.0 ???
You guessed it , ZERO.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Making Cows Out of Heifers   Making Cows Out of Heifers I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 8:31 am

Tom, I don't know if your just a fellow, conspiracy theorist, or just fanning the flames of my paranoia.........the propaganda from industry and universitydome, is all most of us have ever seen. So Tom, is it real or memorex, what do YOU do?

Life is Good
Back to top Go down
Kent Powell

PostSubject: Re: Making Cows Out of Heifers   Making Cows Out of Heifers I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 12:04 pm

The same genetics grown to 700 pounds at a year rather than 1000+ will likely have less frame. On the other hand, why use 1600 pound YW bulls to produce 700 pound yearling heifers?
Back to top Go down
http://powellangus.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Making Cows Out of Heifers   Making Cows Out of Heifers I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Making Cows Out of Heifers
Page 1 of 1